Any JJJ updates?

There are times when we'll need 2 posts backed up by 2 more posts. Uros, O(R)N, and Fulk are what we have. Walker and Pons as well, but there will be games when we need a couple of 6'9"ers or better down low. Get them all ready because they'll be complementary to next year's perimeter game. They won't need to take over. Just need to play sound, fundamental ball and be ready to receive passes at the hoop when defenders cheat on defending the 4 and 5 stars on the perimeter.

Im not willing to say get them ready for next year yet anyway and if I was I’d push for Olivier getting more minutes than uros. If pons comes back I’d be willing to bet uros or Olivier won’t see much pt at all next year

Im not willing to say get them ready for next year yet anyway and if I was I’d push for Olivier getting more minutes than uros. If pons comes back I’d be willing to bet uros or Olivier won’t see much pt at all next year

No, I don't ever want to sacrifice wins for experience. It's not fair to seniors if they're the best player at their position. Sends a bad message to potential recruits. Do everything possible to win EVERY game.

And that’s 10 too many in most cases
A bit harsh but in this case its hard to really argue for him getting more minutes. But I think Barnes said it best, he just needs to learn to play more physical. I think his issue is less physical than mental. He is used to playing a finesse game which is common for European players coming to American ball. He has the tools to be good. There are guys in the NBA with fewer physical tools tan him producing quite well. I am a tad surprised though because the Serbians actually play a more physical style than most EU teams. If he can add just that bit of toughness he can turn the corner and I think that's what Barnes is waiting for. Put him out there and pull him if he is not playing well and let him see smaller guys go in and show the way but he has to get out there and feel it for the lesson to sink in. People keep saying how he's not physically gifted but for a 7 footer he has above-average athleticism.

A bit harsh but in this case its hard to really argue for him getting more minutes. But I think Barnes said it best, he just needs to learn to play more physical. I think his issue is less physical than mental. He is used to playing a finesse game which is common for European players coming to American ball. He has the tools to be good. There are guys in the NBA with fewer physical tools tan him producing quite well. I am a tad surprised though because the Serbians actually play a more physical style than most EU teams. If he can add just that bit of toughness he can turn the corner and I think that's what Barnes is waiting for. Put him out there and pull him if he is not playing well and let him see smaller guys go in and show the way but he has to get out there and feel it for the lesson to sink in. People keep saying how he's not physically gifted but for a 7 footer he has above-average athleticism.
yea it was harsh and I hate being that way because he has handled all the NCAA stuff so well this year. He seems like an awesome kid that will do anything for his team. He’s an easy one to pull for and I hope he can get better. At least he got to play this year so maybe that eill
Show him exactly what he needs to do going forward to be a winning player

yea it was harsh and I hate being that way because he has handled all the NCAA stuff so well this year. He seems like an awesome kid that will do anything for his team. He’s an easy one to pull for and I hope he can get better. At least he got to play this year so maybe that will
Show him exactly what he needs to do going forward to be a winning player
One thing Barnes has shown is he can develop guys like this. Look at the growth Pon's, Alexander and Fulky showed over their time here. We sent 4 guys to the league (including D-League) this past year and no one would have expected that when they came in. Even Alexander is putting up decent numbers in the G-League. He's brought in a lot of projects and is developing them but now he's starting to bring in some guys ready to go so we have a base to build on.

People think that all schools like Duke and Kentucky recruit are one and done 5 stars.. its the guys like Barnes has been developing that are the backbone of even those programs. They allow that massive turnover to be tenable.

One thing Barnes has shown is he can develop guys like this. Look at the growth Pon's, Alexander and Fulky showed over their time here. We sent 4 guys to the league (including D-League) this past year and no one would have expected that when they came in. Even Alexander is putting up decent numbers in the G-League. He's brought in a lot of projects and is developing them but now he's starting to bring in some guys ready to go so we have a base to build on.

People think that all schools like Duke and Kentucky recruit are one and done 5 stars.. its the guys like Barnes has been developing that are the backbone of even those programs. They allow that massive turnover to be tenable.

Part of it is development by coaching them hard, but I think that a lot of it is that Barnes and his staff have done a very good job of finding under rated 3 stars. He finds the right guys and gets them up to an achievable level. KA, Grant, Fulky, Admiral, and Bowden are all guys that they identified as being better than their ratings. Punter is a great example of somebody that improved their offense tremendously with CRB's coaching.

Now we get to see what Barnes can do with the 4 and 5 stars. Barnes would have been a legend had he been at a mid-major during his career. Identify 2 and 3 stars with tons of upside and facing lesser competition through the regular season grind.

Reactions: pimo1
I think we see Plavsic starting again tonight.

Depending on how bad James's injury is, he might not be back until the SEC Tournament starts.

Sorry about James’ injury but Vescovi is 10x the player and PG.
Vescovi’s worse at defense and rebounding and has a lower ceiling, especially if you believe JJJ has been injured all year as you do. JJJ also doesn’t foul. Vescovi is way better on offense though, like way better.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Vescovi’s worse at defense and rebounding and has a lower ceiling, especially if you believe JJJ has been injured all year as you do. JJJ also doesn’t foul. Vescovi is way better on offense though, like way better.
Umkay. You mean the guy who just enrolled in December and has already scored 18 against three SEC opponents. Sure.

Vescovi is a difference maker. James will be a good player but he’s no where near as dynamic.

Last edited:
Umkay. You mean the guy who just enrolled in December and has already scored 18 against three SEC opponents. Sure.

Vescovi is a difference maker. James will be a good player but he’s no where near as dynamic.
My point was you can’t have it both ways and criticize a player while believing he’s so injured he should never have played.

I said that Vescovi’s offense was way better, did I not? My point was not a knock on Vescovi, he’s been playing great, obviously, and he has great potential. I’m just sick of people dunking on JJJ while he’s out like he wasn’t important to the team

My point was you can’t have it both ways and criticize a player while believing he’s so injured he should never have played.

I said that Vescovi’s offense was way better, did I not? My point was not a knock on Vescovi, he’s been playing great, obviously, and he has great potential. I’m just sick of people dunking on JJJ while he’s out like he wasn’t important to the team
He is important. Although UT has throttled two SEC teams with him on the bench. If he was injured and it affected his play then let’s hope he heals up.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We need JJJ pretty bad at some point these next 7 games if we're going to have a chance I feel. These are going to be 7 physical basketball games and we need 4 wins to make the tournament, we need all the big bodies we can get! Surely he sits Saturday vs SCjrs as they are as physical as it gets. I'm betting that if it's his hip then it's an SI joint injury. Those things are tricky and sometimes never really heal.

Coach Schwartz said in his “Chalk Talk” before the game tonight that if James played tonight he would be on limited minutes. So it sounds like he “can” play, but that more rest would be preferable. Definitely didn’t need him tonight so not surprising he didn’t play.

Boom!!

It's a hip/groin injury and isn't a long term issue. It just needs rest to get healed up. He was dressed out and working with the trainer during the pre-game warm up time. He sat on the bench while the team warmed up for the 2nd half when TN had a 17 point lead. Might be a good idea to save him for @Auburn or @Arkansas.

It's a hip/groin injury and isn't a long term issue. It just needs rest to get healed up. He was dressed out and working with the trainer during the pre-game warm up time. He sat on the bench while the team warmed up for the 2nd half when TN had a 17 point lead. Might be a good idea to save him for @Auburn or @Arkansas.
I would sit him vs USCjrs. They are going to be extremely physical Saturday.

I agree. If we play like tonight we can beat USCe. JJ and Gaines should be able to handle those mins.

This will be fun to bump in the future.
Sure, we have some pathetic schleps who enjoy pulling up old threads more than the actual success of a player.

I hope James gets healthy and finds his way. He may blossom into something, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if ends up behind these incoming players. I said multiple times he isn’t a PG.

All I’m saying is James has been disappointing. Vescovi on the other hand is what I’d expect from a 5-Star all American.
20 points and 8 assist.

VN Store

Back