Any Recommendations

309VFL

I've been waiting for this moment since I was a kid.. I am going to my first vols game in Knoxville first game of the year against Georgia State with my wife.. We are sitting Lower Level Z11 Row 2...It will be our first time in Knoxville any of you have any recommendations? any nice "hole in the wall" type places to go or something we should see our first time being there. Any help is much appreciated, no help is fine as well..

The out of the way watering holes have been bulldozed unfortunately. I would recommend getting to the Copper Cellar early to get a brew, maybe hit Stefanos for some brew and pizza then as Fifties Fan recommended, make sure you are down at the Vol Walk and the Salute To The Hill by the band. Then wander inside and take in the stadium. Pretty fun to go in and watch it fill up and see the players warm up.

Is there a certain place I should be at for the vol walk? game is at noon what time should I be there for the walk...If it was up to me I would already be there waiting 4 months in advance. Thanks for all the help

Spent any time around the Knoxville area? The surrounding area? How many days are you staying?
All of these will help posters know how to help. Several things and areas but we don't know if you've done many already or if you have extra time to do them.

Reactions: 309VFL
I have not spent anytime in Knoxville..I live 10 hours away so I will be driving there early Friday morning..and I will be leaving sunday..I am taking off work Monday so I don't have to rush back or anything
Oh, cool.
Not sure of age or interests but Google Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (tourist areas but some fun things to do) about 45 minutes away.
I'm close enough that I eat before getting to Knoxville, so will let others help you there.
The Vol Walk is a must. Hard to describe but the atmosphere is awesome and sets a great tone for the day. Gets you pumped up.

Is there a certain place I should be at for the vol walk? game is at noon what time should I be there for the walk...If it was up to me I would already be there waiting 4 months in advance. Thanks for all the help
Not sure on the exact timing but the Vol Walk is approx 2 hours before the game and you want to be as close to the corner of Peyton Maning Pass and Fulmer Way as you can get. The Band comes in about 1:20 before the game I think. We always watch from up on the Student Center flyover to the hill. Get there early and stake out a place. Same for Vol Walk. Get to Campus about 3 hours early and find some breakfast then go to game. I always eat the crappy stadium food just because it's crappy stadium food.

The Vol Walk is usually 2 hours and 15 minutes before kick-off. Goes down Peyton Manning Pass and left onto Phillip Fulmer Way. Team enters thru Gate 21A. The band marches down about 1 hour and 40 minutes before kick-off. They come across the pedestrian walk way over Phillip Fulmer Way, circle down Middle Drive and take a left on Phillip Fulmer Way. The band will stop halfway thru to Salute the Hill.

most of the places i would suggest are long gone now. but one staple that is, if you can make it for lunch, or a very late night dinner is Gus's good times deli on 17th, just off the strip. can walk there from the stadium.

not sure where you're staying, but depending on when the game is, there's plenty of cool bars/restaurants in Market square downtown. and you'r'e just a block away from Gay St and some other good bars/restaurants that are all walking distance from Campus and all the downtown hotels.

haven't been tot he Old City in years......so not sure about that anymore, though i think i remember hearing it's still a pretty cool place to go for some night life if you're in to that.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! Very much appreciated!! I found an air bnb downtown Knoxville..i think it said it's an 8min drive to the stadium...Your guy's advice is amazing!! If you think of anything else in the 4months till the game please let me know!

Yeah, all the old haunts are gone. OCI, Sam and Andy's, Roman Room, Hawkeye's and Ivy's. Gus's Good Time Deli is a good choice on campus and then we usually go to Turkey Creek and eat at the Chop House on the way out of town. Gotta spend some time in the book store and get your gear.

Yeah, all the old haunts are gone. OCI, Sam and Andy's, Roman Room, Hawkeye's and Ivy's. Gus's Good Time Deli is a good choice on campus and then we usually go to Turkey Creek and eat at the Chop House on the way out of town. Gotta spend some time in the book store and get your gear.
All good except I would go to Connor's and you need reservations.

I've been waiting for this moment since I was a kid.. I am going to my first vols game in Knoxville first game of the year against Georgia State with my wife.. We are sitting Lower Level Z11 Row 2...It will be our first time in Knoxville any of you have any recommendations? any nice "hole in the wall" type places to go or something we should see our first time being there. Any help is much appreciated, no help is fine as well..
Just make sure you plan to park and be there at least three hours before kick off. That way you can walk the strip and marvel at all the Orange, take in the bookstore and watch the Vol walk. All traditions for us!

go to Rankins on Central Ave for breakfast. They close by noon, so get there early. They are located in North Knoxville.

For the vol walk I suggest getting as close to the stadium as possible...where they turn from PM pass on to pf way. That would put you at the edge of G9 parking lot. After the vol walk is done, make your way to the other end of the parking lot and you can see very well the POTSB come across the pedestrian walkway and down to PF way where they stop and salute the Hill.
I get fired up thinking about it. 3 hours ahead may not be early enough depending on where you park and walk.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! Very much appreciated!! I found an air bnb downtown Knoxville..i think it said it's an 8min drive to the stadium...Your guy's advice is amazing!! If you think of anything else in the 4months till the game please let me know!

If your air bnb is literally downtown, I wouldn't drive to the stadium. Leave the car downtown and walk to campus across the World's Fair Park area. On a normal day the drive is usually about 5-10 minutes from downtown to Neyland Stadium. On game day it will be way longer than walking and you'll still most likely park a long way from the gates.

As for places to eat right downtown there is an amazing amount of choice and variety. JC Holdway (farm to table), Chesapeakes (seafood), Nama Sushi, Cru Bistro (American), Calhoun's on the River, Emilia's (fresh Italian), Sweet P's (bar bq), Stock & Barrel ( up scale burgers), Cafe 4, Tomato Head, Not Watsons and Tupelo Honey are all very good and in the middle of downtown with the exception of Calhoun's which is just down the river from the stadium. A few of the favorite downtown bars are Clancy's Tavern and Whiskey House (Irish), The Kerns Library (in the Oliver Hotel), Preservation Pub, Downtown Grill and Brewery, and the Bistro at the Bijou. Some other favorite Knoxville restaurants worth considering out of downtown are Naples Italian, Bistro by the Tracks, Copper Cellar, Smoky Mountain Grill and Brewery, Ye Olde Steakhouse, Littons and Connors. Of course there are lots of other places including a number of local brewers.

I hope you have fun!

Katch One has an excellent pre-game buffet

Reactions: Remy and 309VFL
If your air bnb is literally downtown, I wouldn't drive to the stadium. Leave the car downtown and walk to campus across the World's Fair Park area. On a normal day the drive is usually about 5-10 minutes from downtown to Neyland Stadium. On game day it will be way longer than walking and you'll still most likely park a long way from the gates.

As for places to eat right downtown there is an amazing amount of choice and variety. JC Holdway (farm to table), Chesapeakes (seafood), Nama Sushi, Cru Bistro (American), Calhoun's on the River, Emilia's (fresh Italian), Sweet P's (bar bq), Stock & Barrel ( up scale burgers), Cafe 4, Tomato Head, Not Watsons and Tupelo Honey are all very good and in the middle of downtown with the exception of Calhoun's which is just down the river from the stadium. A few of the favorite downtown bars are Clancy's Tavern and Whiskey House (Irish), The Kerns Library (in the Oliver Hotel), Preservation Pub, Downtown Grill and Brewery, and the Bistro at the Bijou. Some other favorite Knoxville restaurants worth considering out of downtown are Naples Italian, Bistro by the Tracks, Copper Cellar, Smoky Mountain Grill and Brewery, Ye Olde Steakhouse, Littons and Connors. Of course there are lots of other places including a number of local brewers.

I hope you have fun!

@309VFL I’m gonna second everything said here...

VN Store

Back