Any Recommendations

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! Very much appreciated!! I found an air bnb downtown Knoxville..i think it said it's an 8min drive to the stadium...Your guy's advice is amazing!! If you think of anything else in the 4months till the game please let me know!

You also might try Calhoun's on the river Friday evening to see the Vol Navy

If your air bnb is literally downtown, I wouldn't drive to the stadium. Leave the car downtown and walk to campus across the World's Fair Park area. On a normal day the drive is usually about 5-10 minutes from downtown to Neyland Stadium. On game day it will be way longer than walking and you'll still most likely park a long way from the gates.

As for places to eat right downtown there is an amazing amount of choice and variety. JC Holdway (farm to table), Chesapeakes (seafood), Nama Sushi, Cru Bistro (American), Calhoun's on the River, Emilia's (fresh Italian), Sweet P's (bar bq), Stock & Barrel ( up scale burgers), Cafe 4, Tomato Head, Not Watsons and Tupelo Honey are all very good and in the middle of downtown with the exception of Calhoun's which is just down the river from the stadium. A few of the favorite downtown bars are Clancy's Tavern and Whiskey House (Irish), The Kerns Library (in the Oliver Hotel), Preservation Pub, Downtown Grill and Brewery, and the Bistro at the Bijou. Some other favorite Knoxville restaurants worth considering out of downtown are Naples Italian, Bistro by the Tracks, Copper Cellar, Smoky Mountain Grill and Brewery, Ye Olde Steakhouse, Littons and Connors. Of course there are lots of other places including a number of local brewers.

I hope you have fun!
Definitely all good suggestions.
GBO!!

I’m not sure if you have kids but if you wait for awhile after the game and go (I forget what gate it is, if someone could help) then you can see the players after the game and get an autograph or picture with them afterwards... Pruitt’s team has been pretty generous about fan interaction.

Lonesome Dove Western Bistro or J. C. Holdway for fine dining in the downtown area.

Balter Beerworks, Stock & Barrel, Chivo Taqueria for reasonably priced food / craft alcohol.

Tomato Head for pizza.

Nama Sushi Bar for Sushi / ceviche.

Upscale Bars: The Library, Hyatt Place Rooftop Bar.

The-Oliver-Hotel-Gallery-13-588fe4784199d-810x470.jpg

The Library: Inside the Oliver Hotel.

Rooftop-Bar-Hyatt-Place-530-South-Gay-Street-Knoxville-August-2018-20.jpg

The Hyatt Place Rooftop Bar.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this moment since I was a kid.. I am going to my first vols game in Knoxville first game of the year against Georgia State with my wife.. We are sitting Lower Level Z11 Row 2...It will be our first time in Knoxville any of you have any recommendations? any nice "hole in the wall" type places to go or something we should see our first time being there. Any help is much appreciated, no help is fine as well..
At some point go to Gus' Deli and have the best steamed sandwich on the planet......hoagie on dark with mustard and extra steam.

Reactions: 309VFL
Get there early! You don't want to miss the Vol Walk, or the POtS march to the stadium. Allow time to go to the Vol shop(?) in the student center. Your seats are on that end of the stadium.

To those of us who have grown up hear/watching our Vols over the airways, there is nothing like walking around the stadium from river side up toward the "Hall" and being on the street side for the "Walk". But the real thrill comes when standing on the rise at the upper end of the stadium when the Pride of the Southland comes off of the opposite hill with very likely 30-50,000 fans pressing in close to the route making so much noise you can hardly here Rocky Top or the fight song. If you can't get emotional for that, then you are dead. Almost as exciting is getting to your seat early, wondering where is everyone. (likely still have 20,000+inside), The hearing the band and the roar outside build. Then to watch the band and the crowd fill the "bowl". Hard for a country boy to take in that many folks at one time.

The Vol Walk is usually 2 hours and 15 minutes before kick-off. Goes down Peyton Manning Pass and left onto Phillip Fulmer Way. Team enters thru Gate 21A. The band marches down about 1 hour and 40 minutes before kick-off. They come across the pedestrian walk way over Phillip Fulmer Way, circle down Middle Drive and take a left on Phillip Fulmer Way. The band will stop halfway thru to Salute the Hill.

Looks to be a small crowd for this "walk". I have seen the area around nearly or really full most every time I have been to a game.

Go to Townsend and get a cabin in Laurel Valley. You can go into Gatlinburg and eat at the Peddler or just stay in Townsend and eat the the Trailhead steak and Trout House!

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Thanks for all the advice guys!!! Very much appreciated!! I found an air bnb downtown Knoxville..i think it said it's an 8min drive to the stadium...Your guy's advice is amazing!! If you think of anything else in the 4months till the game please let me know!

If you’re up for tailgating, I’ll be on top of G10, which is right between the stadium and the river. You’ll see the team buses come by so you’ll know when to walk over for the vol walk (maybe 200 yards away). But it’s a great chance to get to hang out with fans who’ll welcome you like their own. I’m always up for hosting first-timers, or old fans alike. We’ve had guests from Oregon to New Zealand, and they always have a great time.

I've been waiting for this moment since I was a kid.. I am going to my first vols game in Knoxville first game of the year against Georgia State with my wife.. We are sitting Lower Level Z11 Row 2...It will be our first time in Knoxville any of you have any recommendations? any nice "hole in the wall" type places to go or something we should see our first time being there. Any help is much appreciated, no help is fine as well..

Get a little tipsy before Kickoff, watch Georgia State get a beat down, pick a fight with a random stranger post game, call UBER, & go to IHOP. :cool:

Looks to be a small crowd for this "walk". I have seen the area around nearly or really full most every time I have been to a game.
Just a guess and no problem with eagle for doing so, they should be proud!
But guessing he/she is a POTS member, former member or maybe have a child who is.
I think they were just using the best video of POTS, not the walk or atmosphere.

Whenever someone asks for advice, there's usually 2 or 3 posters that mention the band several times. And show them off a little.
Once again, no problem. You can just tell the sense of pride and that's cool.

Yeah, all the old haunts are gone. OCI, Sam and Andy's, Roman Room, Hawkeye's and Ivy's. Gus's Good Time Deli is a good choice on campus and then we usually go to Turkey Creek and eat at the Chop House on the way out of town. Gotta spend some time in the book store and get your gear.
OCI was mismanaged shame

If you’re up for tailgating, I’ll be on top of G10, which is right between the stadium and the river. You’ll see the team buses come by so you’ll know when to walk over for the vol walk (maybe 200 yards away). But it’s a great chance to get to hang out with fans who’ll welcome you like their own. I’m always up for hosting first-timers, or old fans alike. We’ve had guests from Oregon to New Zealand, and they always have a great time.
Thanks for the invite!! I might take you up on that offer... I freaking love this vol nation family

Last edited:

VN Store

Back