Anyone scared our defense makes Iowa QB look like a Heisman candidate?

Offense is in some ways, the best defense. Our defense has done well in games we’ve been able to run the ball well and keep the chains moving (offensively).

In the games we got trucked on defense, our offense was garbage. That’s typical of all teams to an extent, but it is exasperated with us because of hurry up offense we run. When you have a 45 second 3 and out after the defense was just on the field for a 10+ play drive, no defense could look good.

Personally, I’m excited to see guys like Matthews and Gibson out there. And hoping and praying we roll with Nico. Would be the best Christmas present for sure!

I am not the coach so no, I am not scared or even worried. If it was a playoff game I would be worried.
I am just going to sit back, have a couple drinks and see how the team responds. And get ready to watch the playoff games.
Win or lose, I won't miss any sleep over our game but a win would be nice, but not nice enough to drive around the neighborhood blowing my horn like a couple of my obnoxious Georgia/Alabama neighbors do after a championship game.

He's really bad.

The thing you need to worry about (if anything) is us getting our run game going. It is capable if you don't load up against it.

Reactions: Gandalf
I think they will look like geniuses until they finish the script. The question is "How long is the script?"!

Scared of what? Let the young guys go out and do the work. There may be, and probably will be, a few growing pains, but the experience will far out-weigh any potential downside.
Especially in a bowl game...guys want to come in and show out. They'll have much more energy/passion I'd think.

Reactions: Ratvol
I really don’t have any idea where bowl games will go in today’s game with the opt outs. I just don’t see Iowa scoring more than 17 points and that is if we have multiple turnovers in their territory. Hopefully our offense is in rhythm.

If we do it would mean that our D took away what Iowa wants to do - run the ball. It might look like the Kentucky game where we committed to stop the run and held Kentucky to about half their normal rushing yardage but gave the QB a career day in passing yardage. It’s not pretty but if it means we win then it will be fine. And I doubt the Iowa QB could put up the numbers Leary did - he’s a better passer and was in a zone that day.

It will be important to get Iowa off the field and avoid letting them have long, sustained drives. I like our starting corners but we’re very thin in the secondary. Of course, Iowa’s tight end was their leading receiver so it will be up to the safeties and/or linebackers.

If we shut down their run we have a great shot at winning.

VN Store

Back