Anyone scared our defense makes Iowa QB look like a Heisman candidate?

You sure?
I haven’t seen him declare.
If he does declare, doubt he’d get drafted.
Just to be clear, some could probably throw a football over them mountains, and coulda won state if coach had put them back in, no doubt.

On the other hand, Ive played precisely 8 full games of flag football, poorly.

I rely on AP, and the ilk for info.

Reactions: murfvol1
I’d like to see the Vols win but honestly it’s a throw away game. The value is the extra practice & getting Nico and young ones some live game reps.

For the last 25 years, we’ve made every QB look like a Heisman candidate, even their backup.

Reactions: Lars
For the last 25 years, we’ve made every QB look like a Heisman candidate, even their backup.
Kubinak for Clemson looked like a struggling freshman just last Bowl season or did I watch a different game. I personally didn't think he looked like a Heisman. In fact, the Clemson fans where saying I wish Dabo hadn't run Off Uiagaleleli.

Iowa would be hard pressed to 20 points against air, we’ll be ok regardless of who we roll out in the secondary.

And yes, I’m totally aware that they will probably hand 50 on this D now…🤦🏻‍♂️

All of these people saying they want to see the young players play, it will be interesting to see what they say after the game.
TBH I am against Starting Nico against their Defense.... But I think this bowl game is the perfect opportunity to see what we have on defense. Not only is their offense terribad they also have almost all their TE's either opting out, in the portal or injured. For those that dont know Iowa is TEU and thats been the only bright spot on offense for them for years. in his time at Iowa Kirk Ferentz has had 12 TE's drafted to the league

Some highlights
Dallas Clark
Noah Fant
George Kittles
T.J. Hockenson
Sam Laporta

And they had 2 guys on 2023 roster likely to get NFL looks Neither of which is likely to play in bowl game.

I think they will load up to stop the run
That would be a terrible idea for them. CJH offenses can't be played like that really. You can't pick your poison because even in its watered-down form this year if you ignore one part of this offense it will kill you.

Reactions: Ratvol
Speaking for myself, I always considered this a transition year. No faith in Milton despite what he did vs Vandy/Clemson. Not saying it was a throw away season, but they should have played the kids with an eye toward next season. Not saying start them, but get them real reps this game. While the bowl game would be nice to win, I really don't think a loss will be the end of the world if...IF...they play those youngsters in secondary, RB and especially QB. Just one game, but better than nothing. Time will tell if the staff has handled the youth on this roster correctly. Hope they've had a plan all along.
I also have always thought this was a transition year...except for first half of Bama game when we were up 20-7 and I became a BIT delusional. I really like what I've seen this year from second year talents like Pierce and Josephs...and think we've got more coming off RS and incoming frosh ready to show out...on top of Vets coming back, I think, in the trenches.

I’d like to see the Vols win but honestly it’s a throw away game. The value is the extra practice & getting Nico and young ones some live game reps.

I don't think Joe believes it's a throwaway game, and I expect the team to play well, if for no other reason but for Joe.

Nico, Nico, Nico. JOE will start vs Iowa, and I suspect play (depending on the score) well into the 3rd quarter. Evidently some of you haven't payed attention to Hype's tendencies . He loves Joe's arm, loves Joe, and will want to experience that one last time. Nico will probably get the 4th Quarter.

Well

It would be more pleasant to have an off season going 9-4 instead of 8-5
I’m not sure what the marginal satisfaction is comparing 9-4 vs 8-5 but it can’t be much.

Just want Nico to play well so there hope for the post-Milton era

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
It certainly leaves me exasperated. Or exacerbated one. And since Josh stuck with Joe all year, don't look for Nico until the 4th quarter. Hype is loyal. (Maybe to a fault) but Joe hasn't really played that badly; a few stretches notwithstanding. JOE deserves to go out as the starter, he hung in there amid disappointments and don't be surprised if Joe Milton becomes a viable NFL Qb in time. He has the ingredient you can't coach. The biggest arm in ALL of football.
Some of the comments from our fans just blow my mind. Milton plays in arguably the number one offensive system in America and is a 6th year senior. Yet he was ranked outside the top 60 in total qbr most of the season. This, despite a huge percentage of his passes being WR screens (which helps efficiency rankings).

He’s not good man. This whole if he becomes a viable NFL quarterback? My God man. No… He has 0.0% chance to eventually become a viable in NFL quarterback.

You are right about Heupel being loyal to a fault. I believe it is more than just loyalty. He has created a culture where the quarterbacks essentially coach each other up. I can understand sticking with Milton throughout the regular season. But at this point, Heupel has to do what is in the best interest of the program. And that is unquestionably to move forward with your future quarterback.

It would be a huge missed opportunity for Milton to go out there and take the majority of the snaps in the bowl game. We all know what we will see. He’ll throw 50% of his down the field passes off target and we won’t be very efficient offensively. Been there… Done that. We know how him playing will turn out.

I am not the coach so no, I am not scared or even worried. If it was a playoff game I would be worried.
I am just going to sit back, have a couple drinks and see how the team responds. And get ready to watch the playoff games.
Win or lose, I won't miss any sleep over our game but a win would be nice, but not nice enough to drive around the neighborhood blowing my horn like a couple of my obnoxious Georgia/Alabama neighbors do after a championship game.

yeah, the bowls have become intersquad scrimmages. they no longer mean anything. i wonder if the stadium will be half full?

More worried the front seven will be too disinterested to tackle and shut down their running game on the defensive side.

As bad as the passing defense looked at times, the rushing defense made some RBs look like all pros.

Nico, Nico, Nico. JOE will start vs Iowa, and I suspect play (depending on the score) well into the 3rd quarter. Evidently some of you haven't payed attention to Hype's tendencies . He loves Joe's arm, loves Joe, and will want to experience that one last time. Nico will probably get the 4th Quarter.
I prefer Nico in the 3rd and 4th but since I’m not the head coach, I’ll take what they give.

VN Store

Back