Anyone scared our defense makes Iowa QB look like a Heisman candidate?

Deacon Hill has been pretty putrid thus far vs some pretty mediocre to bad defenses. I wouldn't worry much about him. I am more worried about their RB given how porous our run defense has been the last half of this season.

Could happen. Iowa won 10 games with their backup quarterback so they are resilient. Banks will blitz so it will be interesting. Telander and Herring will get some reps. Excited to see kids play more. Seldon will have a big opportunity against a tough defense. Joe will need to be on target to keep moving chains and avoid a grind it out Big 10 time of possession mismatch.

Iowa will be lucky to score 14 points against our defense.

The only way we lose this game is if the guys don't care or make dumb mistakes.
Iowa will score more than 14 pts on our crappy D. We will make their $hitty QB look like a Heisman candidate. Our secondary has done that too many times the last few years. I can see us winning 24-21, 21-17 or 31-24, something like that.

Offense is in some ways, the best defense. Our defense has done well in games we’ve been able to run the ball well and keep the chains moving (offensively).

In the games we got trucked on defense, our offense was garbage. That’s typical of all teams to an extent, but it is exasperated with us because of hurry up offense we run. When you have a 45 second 3 and out after the defense was just on the field for a 10+ play drive, no defense could look good.

Personally, I’m excited to see guys like Matthews and Gibson out there. And hoping and praying we roll with Nico. Would be the best Christmas present for sure!

It certainly leaves me exasperated. Or exacerbated one. And since Josh stuck with Joe all year, don't look for Nico until the 4th quarter. Hype is loyal. (Maybe to a fault) but Joe hasn't really played that badly; a few stretches notwithstanding. JOE deserves to go out as the starter, he hung in there amid disappointments and don't be surprised if Joe Milton becomes a viable NFL Qb in time. He has the ingredient you can't coach. The biggest arm in ALL of football.

Last edited:
All depends on how well the players mesh over he bowl practices and what scheme we run. Without Baron we will not have another D-Lineman they have to worry about as much and can double team Pearce in passing downs or at the point of attack when running. If we can stop the run and get QB pressures we should be fine. If we don't show up on D then who knows.

Iowa's defense is very good and I wonder how well we will do agaisnt it. If it is close in the 4th it will favor Iowa IMO. Let's just hope it isn't! ;)

Probably more important that we stuff the run on all the 3rd on 3's we're about to face. These guys average less than 5 yards per pass attempt. They obviously don't want to throw it down the field.

All of these people saying they want to see the young players play, it will be interesting to see what they say after the game.
Speaking for myself, I always considered this a transition year. No faith in Milton despite what he did vs Vandy/Clemson. Not saying it was a throw away season, but they should have played the kids with an eye toward next season. Not saying start them, but get them real reps this game. While the bowl game would be nice to win, I really don't think a loss will be the end of the world if...IF...they play those youngsters in secondary, RB and especially QB. Just one game, but better than nothing. Time will tell if the staff has handled the youth on this roster correctly. Hope they've had a plan all along.

Reactions: murfvol1 and njvols

VN Store

Back