Are there any skeptics?

the only gripe i have about the game today was cutcliffe. it was obvious his mind was elsewhere. either that or he was just having an off day.......

That is why many of us didn't want him coaching this game. I think our argument was made valid today.

Thank you BUSINESS. I think you single handed summed up most of our feelings over the last three or four years. We lost by one. We were three minutes away from being 9-0. If Erik hadn't thrown that interception. (Repeat that last sentence about ten times) We could have been great, but the fact is we aren't and wasn't. And that is why most of us are not satisfied with a ten win, Outback Bowl Trophy carrying team that when the day is said and done, got our ass kicked by bammer and the gators. And after watching them the rest of the year and in the bowl games, you really think they were as good as the scoreboard said they were..........

Amen! :salute:

I wonder if Crompton gets the starting job, struggles, and we have another qb rollercoaster like in '05... please tell me that Fulmer learned the right lessons from that season.

Well, we do open with the same team we opened with that started that mess, but that's about where the similarities end. I don't see anyone confusing this bunch for a Top 5 or 10 team.

As long as we dont have any juniors leave, I think you might be surprised at the (useless) preseason rank for next season.

As long as we dont have any juniors leave, I think you might be surprised at the (useless) preseason rank for next season.

With a brand new QB that noone has ever seen, I would be suprised if it were any higher than 15.

Sorry, I didn't speak clearly. I mean I don't think anyone will be putting us in the Top 10 in the preseason rankings with the group we have returning so that won't play into the "05" kind of equation.

We look great for '08. Two holes:QB and DT. If Crompton has some great spring press and somebody grows into or gets recruited to fill the DT holes (assuming Mayo stays), we should be far better next year. We won't be top 5 preseason will all the NC talk like we had in 2005, but there is some chance that we'd be top 10. We're more likely top 15 as everyone hedges there bets in what will be a very tough East division next year.

We look great for '08. Two holes:QB and DT. If Crompton has some great spring press and somebody grows into or gets recruited to fill the DT holes (assuming Mayo stays), we should be far better next year. We won't be top 5 preseason will all the NC talk like we had in 2005, but there is some chance that we'd be top 10. We're more likely top 15 as everyone hedges there bets in what will be a very tough East division next year.

I guess I'm basing what I say on the tendency for people to overlook or underestimate teams with new QBs. You don't usually get alot of preseason pub when you have a QB that has never really been seen to speak of.

Skeptical about the following for 08:

QB play
Running game
WR depth
Dline

Not much. We shoud be preseason top 5.

I guess I'm basing what I say on the tendency for people to overlook or underestimate teams with new QBs. You don't usually get alot of preseason pub when you have a QB that has never really been seen to speak of.

Crompton was a 5* AA HS QB. He's not that much of an unknown. He's had injuries, so folks wonder how well he's overcome them, but with his supporting cast, he's doesn't need to be extraordinary.

Didn't put that one cause I am still holding out hope for who the coaches are going to be.

Crompton was a 5* AA HS QB. He's not that much of an unknown. He's had injuries, so folks wonder how well he's overcome them, but with his supporting cast, he's doesn't need to be extraordinary.

As of now, his supporting cast would consist of Gerald Jones.

Okay, who wants to put down our Vols and coaching staff -Phil inlcuded?

Not me! As I mentioned earlier in the season, I thought it was possible to win between 9 and 11 games. If the Vols hadn't turned over the ball twice in the 4th quarter against LSU, the Vols could have had 11 wins and could have gone to the Sugar Bowl rather than Georgia.
After losing to Bama and the remaining schedule it looked rough down the stretch. It could have been a 7-5 season in lieu of the Vols going to the SEC Championship game. Never give up on our Vols until the bell sounds.

How about our men's basketball team? Hope they can keep it up! I think the men's team has a good shot at winning the SEC and possibly the SEC tourney. I think the men will be a top 10 at the end of the regular season.
GO VOLS!

Good post....but where were you right after the Bama game? I don't recall reading a "hoo-rah" post from you then.

Maybe I missed it.

go vols.

I'm still holding out hope that he isn't the one people will have had to known about. If it's him, the very last thing I'm worried about is our preseason ranking.

I'm still holding out hope that he isn't the one people will have had to known about. If it's him, the very last thing I'm worried about is our preseason ranking.

If it's BJ, as I know you hope, they will probably know he beat out that guy. That's impressive in its own way.

If it's BJ, as I know you hope, they will probably know he beat out that guy. That's impressive in it's own way.

But would still keep us from being ranked very high. My main point was that the guy drew a comparison to 05 and I don't think any of the factors from 05 will apply except for that we open with UAB at home.

But would still keep us from being ranked very high. My main point was that the guy drew a comparison to 05 and I don't think any of the factors from 05 will apply except for that we open with UAB at home.

Okay, I hope next year has nothing to do with 2005! We often seem to do better without too much preseason hype. The harder our guys work during the offseason, the better we should be. Sometimes being disrespected seems to help. With the beatings these guys took from Bammer and UF, they should work hard this offseason. There's a lot of potential on this team if they can just convert it to reality next fall.

Sugar Bowl time... gotta run. Happy New Year!

The sad thing is that preseason rankings aren't "useless". Those rankings set the tone for the year of the BCS BS. The sportswriters and other "experts" look at the preseason rankings and that's the way the year begins. It's hard to play catchup if you're not ranked at least 12-15 preseason.

The sad thing is that preseason rankings aren't "useless". Those rankings set the tone for the year of the BCS BS. The sportswriters and other "experts" look at the preseason rankings and that's the way the year begins. It's hard to play catchup if you're not ranked at least 12-15 preseason.

I agree their not useless, they're worse than useless. They should be banned, then not start for about 3 weeks into the season. This way there would not be any need to play catchup, there would be at least some objectivity and reality used.

There, fixed it for you.

You put 'poor coaching' in there yet we have at least 4 coaching spots that arent even filled yet. Possibly more will become available. To know that our new coaches are not any good you must know who they are. Let the rest of us in on your inside knowledge, please.

VN Store

Back