Are we as good as the ‘22 team?

Do you think we are as good as we were in 2022?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Defense is better but not offense yet
This.

I legit think this is our best defense in the past 20+ years.

Offense just doesn't quite feel like it's gelled yet. Nico will get better as the season goes on, but he's not at the level of Hooker in 2022 at this point. Whether we are better than the 2022 team depends on how quickly Nico develops and also how healthy the O-line stays.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Vols roll from here to the Georgia game. Win in Athens in what is most likely a night game and the conversation will be about a Natty. I will be watching the Alabama vs Georgia game next week with great attention. Glad the Vols get to rest up and get folks healthy.

Offense has a ways to go. Obviously, things can change and we still have a couple more games before we get to Bammer, but right now we don't have the offense to beat Bama or UGA. Should beat everyone else we play though.

We have a great DL and LB group. Still not sure what we have in the secondary outside of McCoy. Time will tell once we finally have to face a solid OL.

Losses to Bama and UGA puts us at 10-2 so that at least makes the teams comparable. For this team to surpass 2022 in my mind though, the offense has to take a step.

Reactions: DeltaVol05
Offense is the great looking girl in the office, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! And we got one hell of a defense.
GO BIG ORANGE!

Not yet but we have a much higher ceiling this year. If oline can get and stay healthy I expect 10-2 or 11-1.

If Heard and Campbell are back and healthy soon I think we will be better. We could not run our offense how we wanted to because of the risk of strip sack.

We were better offensively in 2022 because nobody respected us.
They did… we had a good offense in 2021 and gave good teams problems even then. And do you really think Bama didn’t take us seriously when we were #6 playing them at home? They had 5 games that season to watch film on us, as well as the year prior

We are better no doubt… hooker was more seasoned heup protected Nico tonight in a way he never had to with 2022 hooker but the DL makes up for any slack we had and the depth is miles better… if we would’ve given hooker and those guys this defense it would’ve been a national championship coming back to Rocky top that year.

I think we’re better. This defense is elite. And remember it took 2022 offense until game 4-5 to explode. We’re about in the same time frame, don’t be surprised to see 50+ in 2 weeks from offense if this oline is healthy.

Best I can put it is this:

Our offense isn't as good.

Our defense is exponentially better.

Thing is, our offense is about as good as it *needs* to be. Our defense is on the level it needs to be in order for us to properly contend for the postseason.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Not yet, but we could be. I think we're further ahead after week 4 than the 2022 team was, though.

The 2022 team kept getting better every week (until they didn't). This team certainly has the potential to be as good or better as the 2022 team peaked, but they haven't reached that level yet. This team also seems less likely to have a regression, but we won't know until they've walked the walk.

This team is better imo. They’ll always be one of those special teams that I’ll always remember, but ‘22 definitely overachieved relative to the talent on the roster. This ‘24 team is just really good across the board.

Offense has a ways to go. Obviously, things can change and we still have a couple more games before we get to Bammer, but right now we don't have the offense to beat Bama or UGA. Should beat everyone else we play though.

We have a great DL and LB group. Still not sure what we have in the secondary outside of McCoy. Time will tell once we finally have to face a solid OL.

Losses to Bama and UGA puts us at 10-2 so that at least makes the teams comparable. For this team to surpass 2022 in my mind though, the offense has to take a step.

Offense didn’t really explode until game 5 in 2022. Maybe game for against UF but we coulda scored more than 38 on them later in the season for sure

VN Store

Back