Are We Witnessing Greatness

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Ive always felt privileged to have grown up and witnessed Mike Jordan, Joe Montana, and now maybe we're witnessing the best college qb ever?

As Sagacity also pointed out, "impulse" is the right word, because by any reasonable measure, Tebow’s debut – as a sophomore, a first-year starter in the most vaunted conference in the country – was among the greatest single statistical seasons any quarterback has ever produced. This might be true even if you take away his 900 yards and SEC-record 23 touchdowns rushing: Tebow was second in the nation in pass efficiency, first in yards per attempt, second in touchdown percent. His passer rating was almost 30 points higher than any other quarterback in the SEC, two of whom (Erik Ainge and Andre Woodson) were career starters who went in the draft, and 45 points higher than classmate and fellow scout favorite Matt Stafford's. Tebow had by far the best TD:INT ratio in the conference (32:6) and the best completion percentage. His average attempt went for a full two yards more than the league's number two YPA (Stafford). He was not only the best quarterback in the conference – he was the best by a mile. Run the numbers back, and he was the best of the decade. Saurian Sagacity ran them back against other H*i*m*n-winning quarterbacks in the last decade – again, only the passing stats – just to show how overwhelming Tebow’s production actually was:

That rating is phenomenal by any standard. Again, as a sophomore, and again, before his contributions to the running game are accounted for. I don’t think anyone who watched him play against Tennessee, LSU, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida State or Michigan needed all of that to understand: Tebow is the closest thing going at the moment to a force of nature, and as long as he’s in the lineup, Florida is a contender to outscore anyone.

at least Ainge received a passing mention. I am curious as to hear the Nation's best guess as to how Tennessee stops him or UF in general this year.

Yes, he is extremely good. I don't think we stop him, but we have to find a way to slow him down. The sad thing about Ainge is that he will always be remembered as the guy who couldn't get it done in the final 9 minutes of the Sec Championship game.

Yes, he is extremely good. I don't think we stop him, but we have to find a way to slow him down. The sad thing about Ainge is that he will always be remembered as the guy who couldn't get it done in the final 9 minutes of the Sec Championship game.
Speaking of a guy who cant get it done in 9 minuts, how have you been vol4eve?:whistling:

Witnessing greatness? Possibly. Just like MJ, Montana, and others -- they did it over a period of time. If Tebow continues this level of production -- then yes, he will go down as an all-time great. Regardless, his sophomore year was impressive to say the least and he deserved the Heisman -- hands down.

As a Vol fan, I hope I am not witnessing greatness and he falters this year -- but that remains to be seen.

Is it my birthday? Or have I entered some sort of alternate universe where allegiance to one's own school does not automatically mean the dismissal of anything a rival has going for it?

I'm stunned by only one puke icon so far. I'm sure there will be others.

Whew. You had me nervous for a second...I was afraid one of my, ahem, "home movies" had leaked onto youtube.

11969982855851487497815.gif

Ah, there we go. Just as I was typing. Right on cue BPV.

Guess its my birthday.
was my comment off base?

we'll see how it works out when he's a drop back passer as you say he's going to be.

I'm not trying to bash the guy, I'm saying he isn't all that ESPN says he is. You are on record as saying he is to be the hands down top choice in the NFL and I am on record as saying you're out of your mind.

He is in a system that has made him a statistical wonder, but it did the same for Alex Smith, who clearly isn't a great drop back QB and doesn't have the makeup to a great passer. The system gave him an enormous number of opportunities for single coverage and his better athletes made him appear to be king.

Doesn't mean Tebowisn't a good football player and isn't the best spread option QB ever. It simply means I don't believe he is the dropback passer that this article implies or that you mistakenly believe.

He's had one great year as a starter and one good year as a back-up. He has shown greatness, if he repeats what he accomplished last year again over the next two years, then we can start comparing to MJ and Montana. He's a great QB no doubt about it, let's just wait it out before we compare him with the greatest of all time.

bigpapavol, how many other great QB's from Florida made in the pros under spurrier.

you're right. it's the system. if he tries running like that in the pros, he'll be beaten up pretty badly

Is it my birthday? Or have I entered some sort of alternate universe where allegiance to one's own school does not automatically mean the dismissal of anything a rival has going for it?

I'm stunned by only one puke icon so far. I'm sure there will be others.

LG, this Tebow thing is a sidebar. We've been discussing if Tenn can best Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak now that CPF has finished his 3rd consecutive undefeated NC season. :p

VN Store

Back