Are We Witnessing Greatness

several of you guys misunderstood my point. I consider Joe Montana the best pro qb ever, MJ the best NBA player ever, and my question was, "Is TT going to be the best college qb ever?" In no way shape or form was I comparing TT to JM or MJ.

I find it unlikely. Matt Leinart won the Heisman, as well as two NC's (and was a couple of minutes away from #3) as a starter. Tim Tebow better get busy if he wants to match that.

Now that I think about it, Timmy lost two more games this season than Leinart lost in his career.

He's got a ways to go before he's even the best of all time at Florida . . . much less if he wants to get to Matt Leinart/Charlie Ward/Tommy Frazier/Vince Young/Roger Staubach territory.

He's got a ways to go before he's even the best of all time at Florida . . . much less if he wants to get to Matt Leinart/Charlie Ward/Tommy Frazier/Vince Young/Roger Staubach territory.

Jusy curious, but why do you believe VY is an all-time CFB great? If VY is one TT should be

Jusy curious, but why do you believe VY is an all-time CFB great? If VY is one TT should be
I'm just guessing, but it's probably because he took a mediocre TX offense and near singlehandedly won a NC with them.

VY won a title on his own, not as a glorified FB. TT has yet to prove he can win a title w/o the help of a pass first QB, and an incredibly stout defense.

Go look at Mack Brown's coaching career, then look at Vince Young's play the year Texas beat USC. Vince Young came about as close as anybody could to single-handedly winning a national championship. I wouldn't say he had a great career per se, but a great season.

Mack Brown is the Big 12's version of Fulmer, but with a much easier recruiting job to do.

This.

Mack Brown would have been fired by now had it not been for an incredible run by one Vince Young.

and Phil would have been fired if Ratliff doesnt cause the Stoerner fumble. So what's your point?

he does have a ways to go and he's got 2 more years to do it. What he's accomplished to this point is pretty impressive.

I dunno. Another discrepancy about that comparison: Mack Brown seems to be working as hard as ever toward getting back to the top. Fulmer sat on his rear for 7 years.

what's Mack's worst recruiting rating lately? Im willing to bet that it's better than 35th.

what's Mack's worst recruiting rating lately? Im willing to bet that it's better than 35th.

C'mon Rexy.

I'm no Fulmer apologist...and, quite frankly, I think the UT class of 2008 was a big disappointment. But, you really can't use recruiting rankings as evidence to support that Mack is better than Phil.

Brown can't go to the restroom without finding a 5-star recruit in the stall. The state is loaded with big-time talent. Tennessee is lucky to have more than 1 5-star player in the state each year.

C'mon Rexy.

I'm no Fulmer apologist...and, quite frankly, I think the UT class of 2007 was a big disappointment. But, you really can't use recruiting rankings as evidence to support that Mack is better than Phil.

Brown can't go to the restroom without finding a 5-star recruit in the stall. The state is loaded with big-time talent. Tennessee is lucky to have more than 1 5-star player in the state each year.

all that is true, so that means we cant expect better than 35th because of our talent poor state? I say "find a way" to make it happen.

so that means we cant expect better than 35th because of our talent poor state? .

Huh? Of course not. We should expect better than 35th, or 25th, or even 15th in most seasons...because we're Tennessee.

My point is not that Fulmer's 35th ranked class of 2008 is acceptable. My point is that it's a lot more challenging to recruit at Tennessee than it is at Texas. I'm not too sure that Mack Brown would recruit any better in Knoxville than Phil has.

My point is that it's a lot more challenging to recruit at Tennessee than it is at Texas. I'm not too sure that Mack Brown would recruit any better in Knoxville than Phil has.

To continue with what Jay is trying to say, Texas is a GIGANTIC state so Mack Brown wakes up every morning practically falling over talent to get to his door. If we were even half the size of Texas we'd be better off recruiting wise because, just like Texas, Tennessee is our state's flagship university. That would also make the occasional departure by our in-state stars less of the deal it is right now. We are a big fish in a seriously small pond, where as Texas is a big fish in a really big pond. Go look at the Texas roster, you can't count the number of out-of-state players on one hand, that is a huge advantage.

Mack Brown is no more of a "big game" coach than Fulmer is, but I will say this is his defense. He has rebuilt a program. When Brown arrived at UNC...a perennial football power by no means...the cupboard was pretty bare. And he built them into a very respectable program during his time there...not a NC contender but very respectable.

Fulmer, on the other hand, inherited a pretty good team/program at Tennessee. He had a very good run thru 2001 and went into a period of decline thereafter. We don't have any evidence that he can rebuild anything.

Mac brown is similar to phil in the fact he has his version of florida in oklahoma. Mac doesn't get sentimental and keep a washed up defensive coordinator around to long, or a offensive coordinator that never had any business being a offensive coordinator. Then taking 6 years to figure out he had no business being the offensive coordinator. As far as tebow goes i think we are witnessing a great college qb unforunately for us. He isn't a polished qb though and he may struggle in the pro game.

Mack has also had pretty much the same nemesis at Oklahoma...Bob Stoops. I doesn't seem to matter who is coaching Florida.

Tebow is obviously a great talent and still has time to elevate himself into the ranks of the all-time greats. But I don't see his talent at this point as translating well to the pro game.

VN Store

Back