Arizona Is A Beast

That zone they refused to get out of was really poor coaching. Fulk is way too good of a player to let him walk unguarded with the ball and get great position to see the whole floor right at the nail. Or sometimes they’d let him get close 12-13 feet out.
Fulky hasn’t done that much on offense this season so I guess their strategy was to play the post one on one to not leave an open shooter from 3? Fulky definitely made them pay!

I did find that odd, they did not adjust at all when it became clear we were gonna just let Fulky go to work every offensive possession

It’s such a weird defensive scheme. It’s the most valuable area of the entire court and it’s literally the textbook way you beat zone and they just gave it up.

Grant Williams or Josh Richardson would have scored 40 against that scheme.

Which is what I’m saying. I’m not sure they watched enough film. You have to know that when he’s at his best is going down hill. You’ve got to crowd him and make him beat you off the dribble.
That sounds great, but I had resolved to never seeing that level of play from him again and I watch most every game. I sure wouldn’t have been game planning for Fulky not to beat me if I were the AZ coaches.

Fulky was due a big game good for him regardless of who expected it or not. I personally thought he was going to have a big game against Memphis. He just gets up for these emotional games. Arizona just had the unlucky Fulk draw and felt the wrath. I predict him to have a few more big games like this particularly against KY and hopefully during the sec tourney.

That sounds great, but I had resolved to never seeing that level of play from him again and I watch most every game. I sure wouldn’t have been game planning for Fulky not to beat me if I were the AZ coaches.
Even if you don’t expect a player to beat you, you still can’t just give him whatever he wants.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’ve never seen anyone complain as much as those bit**** from Arizona did tonight sheesh. They had something to say for every single foul called. They severely underestimated our guys skill level and crying was all they had left in the arsenal, representative of the cry baby head coach.

Even if you don’t expect a player to beat you, you still can’t just give him whatever he wants.
Don’t disagree, just typically in these games you try to address what your opponent has been doing well and try to take that away. Appears they didn’t want us to beat them from the 3 point line

I’ve never seen anyone complain as much as those bit**** from Arizona did tonight sheesh. They had something to say for every single foul called. They severely underestimated our guys skill level and crying was all they had left in the arsenal, representative of the cry baby head coach.
To me they didn’t cry significantly more than most anyone else we have played. What college player ever thinks it was a good call against them any more?

I haven’t rewatched the game yet so I was watching with excitement and maybe a lack of “clarity.”

However to me it looked like early on they had a plan (and made a team effort) to not let Fulk have any kind of good look down low.

Early “to me” it seemed they were always dropping a man and double teaming Fulk when he got the ball.

I know they got in foul trouble however it seemed like they totally got away from that……maybe because of the early score.

Lol then late they were just like “hey there’s the lane…..have at it.”

It’s such a weird defensive scheme. It’s the most valuable area of the entire court and it’s literally the textbook way you beat zone and they just gave it up.

Grant Williams or Josh Richardson would have scored 40 against that scheme.

I believe the announcer said it's called drop coverage? I think the point is to limit the offensive player driving and to encourage low % floaters from mid-range. He said it's a big in the NBA. But I'm no expert

Looked to me like Chandler had jumps shots at the foul line all night but didn’t take that many.

I wonder if Barnes' new analytics approach has caused him to tell Chandler to only shoot 3s or shots at the rim since nobody's supposed to shoot midrange jumpers anymore.

To me they didn’t cry significantly more than most anyone else we have played. What college player ever thinks it was a good call against them any more?
Yeah but these guys would literally sprint to the other side of the court after a foul was called on them like a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum

Reactions: volfaninky
Yeah but these guys would literally sprint to the other side of the court after a foul was called on them like a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum
Yeah, and the two biggest offenders were Mathurn and Head Band Guy. And those guys were significantly worse than any two I’ve seen about everything. However, a few of their guys were classy…..Tubelis and Larrson seemed like good kids.

I don't personally know you, but I'm assuming you aren't paid millions to plan that out either. Arizona definitely dropped the ball a bit on the preparation side.

I don't personally know you, but I'm assuming you aren't paid millions to plan that out either. Arizona definitely dropped the ball a bit on the preparation side.
You may well be right but cmon dude we don’t have to be a head college coach to have an opinion and I stand by mine. Again JMO

You may well be right but cmon dude we don’t have to be a head college coach to have an opinion and I stand by mine. Again JMO

Honestly, not debating your opinion. I was merely pointing out that there are staff members (most of them not paid millions, but still) whose entire job was to prepare for Tennessee. I'm not saying they should have expected Fulky to go off, but there's no way they could reasonably claim to have no idea he could go off. Plenty of evidence exists to indicate he has the ability.

If the shooters aren't hitting, what is Plan B? Force it inside with Fulky and let Chandler drive is my guess. So Arizona was prepared to stop our Plan A, but maybe didn't bother looking into what might be our Plan B...

Honestly, not debating your opinion. I was merely pointing out that there are staff members (most of them not paid millions, but still) whose entire job was to prepare for Tennessee. I'm not saying they should have expected Fulky to go off, but there's no way they could reasonably claim to have no idea he could go off. Plenty of evidence exists to indicate he has the ability.

If the shooters aren't hitting, what is Plan B? Force it inside with Fulky and let Chandler drive is my guess. So Arizona was prepared to stop our Plan A, but maybe didn't bother looking into what might be our Plan B...
Listening to Arizona’s coach, he actually said they planned to let Fulky have his points and stop everything else. In retrospect, not good for them, but I suspect he thought his guy could stop Tennessee’s inside game better than it did.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back