At what point do you expect the $8,000,000 man play up to his compensation level?

No excuses for plays that he should have made.

Nico needs to improve on his game awareness and processing speed. For the most part, his mechanics look pretty good.

My post was to point out the other offensive areas of imperfection that affect his performance and development.

Choices are:
Gaston Moore - knows the system but likely lacks the athletic gifts to be successful in the SEC

Jake Merklinger - true freshman who likely has only the rudiments of the system down and next to zero SEC experience

Ryan Damron - redshirt freshman walk on

Navy Shuler - legacy redshirt senior walk on

So........ who performs better than Nico, you think?

Crap is crap. If Moore or Merklinger play like crap, then what have we lost if Nico is already stinking it up? Nothing. On the other hand, if Nico is continuing to play like crap and we switch things up, we at least give ourselves a shot for something better. Heupel should not be afraid to change things up, if we see more 1st halves like we have lately.

Until the Florida game, I wasn't quite sure it was Nico but rather how we were using them/strategy.

There were times in the Florida game where Nico botched plays (overthrows and fumbles).

IMO, he partially paid for himself by the hype he brought and other recruits but it was probably silly to expect him to come out and be Bryce Young day one.

Regarding his performance, I am leaning on the coaches. I am not sure where he is at or what is being coached into him to do versus him not doing (i.e. running more for example).

Crap is crap. If Moore or Merklinger play like crap, then what have we lost if Nico is already stinking it up? Nothing. On the other hand, if Nico is continuing to play like crap and we switch things up, we at least give ourselves a shot for something better. Heupel should not be afraid to change things up, if we see more 1st halves like we have lately.
But he's not "stinking it up"

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Pull Nico for Moore or Merk in a non mop up situation and his next run will most likely be to the portal.

We're currently 5-1 with Nico but you think Moore or Merk are more ready for Bama and GA without ANY reason whatsoever, you just think we need to shake it up?

Let's get this straight. You want to experiment with essentially completely SEC untested QBs against Alabama? Sounds like a solid coaching move.

Pull Nico for Moore or Merk in a non mop up situation and his next run will most likely be to the portal.

We're currently 5-1 with Nico but you think Moore or Merk are more ready for Bama and GA without ANY reason whatsoever, you just think we need to shake it up?

Let's get this straight. You want to experiment with essentially completely SEC untested QBs against Alabama? Sounds like a solid coaching move.

I'm saying IF (and only if) Nico can't get it together and keeps playing poorly with turnovers and inaccurately not making plays. That would be the reason. IF we're getting poor QB play, what difference does it make who we get it from and also what difference does it make if Nico transfers. If he can't get it together, then give the others an oppportunity. If they can't do it, then manage the best you can this year and move on to the new highly rated kid coming in next year. The bottom line is, especially if you are making big money like Nico is, you've got to get it done or sit, or be gone. There are no excuses for Nico. This is his second year. He either has the goods or he doesn't. There is very little time to waste waiting and hoping for him to improve.

I'm saying IF (and only if) Nico can't get it together and keeps playing poorly with turnovers and inaccurately not making plays. That would be the reason. IF we're getting poor QB play, what difference does it make who we get it from and also what difference does it make if Nico transfers. If he can't get it together, then give the others an oppportunity. If they can't do it, then manage the best you can this year and move on to the new highly rated kid coming in next year. The bottom line is, especially if you are making big money like Nico is, you've got to get it done or sit, or be gone. There are no excuses for Nico. This is his second year. He either has the goods or he doesn't. There is very little time to waste waiting and hoping for him to improve.
The persons at fault are: Coach Josh Heupel and Coach Glen Elarbee.

They spent a ton of effort and money to get Nico, who was extremely highly rated and they no doubt had seen all the film available, talked with Nico, and discussed it among themselves.

If Nico is failing to provide the ROI expected, like Milton failed to provide the ROI expected, then the problem isn't Nico is it?

It's called coaching for a reason and Josh Heupel makes $9M / yr to recruit and coach up players. We have evidence that he didn't get the most out of Joe Milton and we have growing evidence he's not getting the most out of Nico.

It's damn easy to blame the QBs though so I get it but it's not likely the correct route.

Last edited:
Question.......Do all of the "it's not your money he's getting paid with" folks get to say that next year when the university starts charging the 10% talent fee for tickets?
You have no ground to b1tch about anything if you are selling tickets at 4/5 times the cost..... just saying. Many price gouge tf out of tickets. 10% is a fraction compared to 600 a seat for a game. Just my opinion.

The persons at fault are: Coach Josh Heupel and Coach Glen Elarbee.

They spent a ton of effort and money to get Nico, who was extremely highly rated and they no doubt had seen all the film available, talked with Nico, and discussed it among themselves.

If Nico is failing to provide the ROI expected, like Milton failed to provide the ROI expected, then the problem isn't Nico is it?

It's called coaching for a reason and Josh Heupel makes $9M / yr to recruit and coach up players. We have evidence that he didn't get the most out of Joe Milton and we have growing evidence he's not getting the most out of Nico.

It's damn easy to blame the QBs though so I get it but it's not likely the correct route.
I'm pretty sure he got the most out of Milton

The job is getting done by the team. At this point in his career, you can't call him a game manager yet.
Doesn't it always take a team ?
Which sounds like a talent acquisition/recruiting issue doesn't it???
Talent is a problem at OL. I personally wouldn't care if our OL coach was replaced
If pointing out what's obvious is 'looney' then I'll be that. You just keep pretending that everything is fine.

All of us want Nico to succeed, but he isn't there yet. Unless they simplify some aspect of this offense for the young man, the offense is going to continue to look like it has for the past 2 games.
And you believe Gaston can do better ? Lol he does not have the talent. That is why he is a backup and if Nico gets hurt he is a 2 game at best qb to get Merk ready.

You bench Nico for winning, you can kiss good QB's goodbye. He is not setting the world on fire at the moment but he is winning. 7 games into his career. 6-1 and you want him benched because he hasn't been perfect. News flash NO QB is perfect and beyond making a mistake. And more often than not all first year guys take some lumps. You don't bench the guy if he is your future especially for Gaston Moore. If Merk was ready I could see a shake up in practice to see who the best guy is. Mark is no where near ready hell he can barely complete a pass against UTC

The highest ceiling this team/program has is with Nico. You play him until he reaches that potential or you wait until you have somebody with that type of potential or upside (Macintyre or Brandon) to replace him. Its simple. If Nico hits you have a Heisman level QB. If he fails you move on when you feel like you have someone in that room that can compete for championships. We don't have that guy in the QB room right now. Nico's upside is worth the risk/growing pains. The payoff could be huge.

To quote the Bay City Rollers S A T U R D A Y night!
Remembering the first 3 games, when Nico is not flustered he is outstanding. And on those games he was getting the ball off fast enough to avoid sacks against the SEC competition.
I think the int against OU where his arm was hit has a bigger impact on him than all the straight sacks

"Hes a kid."
"Hes a Redshirt Freshman."
"He's only played 7 games."

All of that is fine and good.however, the money drastically changes expectations. This is now a professional sport.
Soon, please soon. I will give him youth and the complexity of the system. Can’t wait till he starts connecting the long pass. Just a few inches on a couple of passes and we blow UF out Saturday

Doesn't it always take a team ?
Of course it does. The point is, he isn't performing at an efficient level right now. That isn't to say he won't at some point, but he isn't right now. I don't expect a 1st year starter to play like a sr., but it's not unreasonable to expect them to be an effective game manager at the very least.

Talent is a problem at OL. I personally wouldn't care if our OL coach was replaced
I don't understand why people have no problem criticizing our Oline/Oline Coach, but the QB/QB Coach is off limits. Explain that one to me.

There were times in both the Arkansas & Florida game where blocking wasn't the issue in the passing game.

And you believe Gaston can do better ? Lol he does not have the talent. That is why he is a backup and if Nico gets hurt he is a 2 game at best qb to get Merk ready.
I don't know if Moore is better, but I do know that if I spent $8 mil on a qb, I may take an additional $200-500k and go secure a guy from the portal just in case.

With all that said, I do hope they simplify the offense for him this week.

VN Store

Back