Athlon ranks SEC stadiums

Sanford stadiums ok if you don't mind getting spit on. Williams Brice is ranked way to low also. But neyland is the best buy far imo

A lot of people don't like Williams Brice for some reason. I've always thought it was a pretty decent stadium.

Clay Travis is crying right now while he is writing his own Top SEC Stadiums...with Vandy at No 1 bc Franklin is the head coach and is getting no respect...:)

Not to be a richard, but I would put Kyle Field over Neyland right now. Surely if UT was winning like the could then they can easily be better than A&M, but at this moment Neyland isn't what it could be.

It loses points for not being on campus.

Very true, but they have really done a lot of work around the stadium to enhance the tailgating atmosphere. And the upside to being off campus in the middle of the state fairgrounds is that you can actually drive down there and park without too much headache.

I went to Sanford Stadium last year and I didn't think it was better than Neyland at all. Not being a homer, but it was really quiet most of the game and the seating in the upper deck might as well be a mile away because there is no way the people that sit up there can see anything. I also didn't like that it was open on the jumbotron end of the stadium. As a student, this was my first away football game, but I came away unimpressed as far as their stadium goes. Campus is a totally different story though.

A lot of people don't like Williams Brice for some reason. I've always thought it was a pretty decent stadium.

That stadium sucks. I used to live down there and we went to it twice. All concrete and shatty concessions. It was like being at a decent hs game. Plus, it feels like it might fall down at any second. And there's no lead up to it besides that stupid train. Just a bunch of parkings lots with snobby SC students with their popped collars drinking wine coolers.

I wouldn't go back if it was free.

Very true, but they have really done a lot of work around the stadium to enhance the tailgating atmosphere. And the upside to being off campus in the middle of the state fairgrounds is that you can actually drive down there and park without too much headache.

The last i was there was 2010, have they done a lot of work outside since then? I don't remember any tailgating

Up yours Athlon.. this is our HOUSE!!! #1!!!!!

th

th

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE ............

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The last i was there was 2010, have they done a lot of work outside since then? I don't remember any tailgating

They've created a plaza between the railroad cars and the stadium and then they've added a ton of tailgating across from the stadium next to the practice fields. It's changed significantly in the past 2-3 years.

Reactions: 1 person
They've created a plaza between the railroad cars and the stadium and then they've added a ton of tailgating across from the stadium next to the practice fields. It's changed significantly in the past 2-3 years.

The Cockabooses are the most underated tailgating spots in the SEC.

Not to be a richard, but I would put Kyle Field over Neyland right now. Surely if UT was winning like the could then they can easily be better than A&M, but at this moment Neyland isn't what it could be.

Ranking stadiums per se is not the same as rating the game day atmosphere experienced at those stadiums. The latter is, indeed, subject to the ebb and flow of the fortunes of individual football programs; the former is not. Although the title suggests that they are ranking SEC stadiums, article content constitutes a comparative analysis of the game day experience provided by SEC stadiums. 'tis a misleading and imprecise descriptor for this article.

when this program is surging, few places in the nation can match the pageantry and passion of Neyland Stadium.

The truth. Also, it still amazes me that even as bad as UT has been over the last 5 years we still would have sold out 10 SEC stadiums including Florida.

Let that sink in, folks. UT is 28-32 over those 4 years and 5-7 this year and we had a better attendence than Florida did who went 11-2.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't debate folks about the uniqueness of Neyland Stadium...without a doubt in the top 5 nationally especially when the Vols are where they should be...Remember a friend who wasn't a Vol fan but attended a home game against second tier type of team...his quote..."100,000??? give me a break, I bet there were no more than 95,000 there"...and he was serious...then we both broke into laugher...he realizing the absurdity of his statement

neyland will never be what it was between 1996-1999, they will have to add more seats and lower prices to get it that way again and win alot games. sadly i don't think the more seats or lower ticket prices will happen. the other has too.

Anybody saying that is being a homer IMO. Sanford is a really good place to watch a game.

Really, I'd say you can throw a blanket over the top 5 in those rankings plus maybe Auburn and South Carolina. They each are nice stadiums with positives and negatives.

I'm not saying Sanford Stadium is a bad place to watch a game, but I find it absurd that they have it ranked above Neyland Stadium. If it makes me a homer to think that their reasoning behind this is ridiculous (it's a pretty place?), then so be it.

I'm not saying Sanford Stadium is a bad place to watch a game, but I find it absurd that they have it ranked above Neyland Stadium. If it makes me a homer to think that their reasoning behind this is ridiculous (it's a pretty place?), then so be it.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to think Neyland is better. I just think it's a little much to act as if Sanford in a different class.

If you just look at the building and its surroundings, I have a hard time thinking of a better looking setting or stadium than Neyland. We do tend to pack people in there like sardines, but it's fun when the Vols are winning.

Do I care about this list? No.

The dude who said Vandy was ranked too high got an actual out-loud laugh from me. :)

Sanford Stadium is a nice venue in a beautiful setting...so is Keenan Stadium in Chapel Hill.

As far as big time football atmosphere, it's a wine and cheese crowd compared to Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville and Auburn.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back