Backyard Bird Watchers

The brown thrashers nesting in my big azaleas brought their two fledglings to the dogwood next to my screened porch. I’d like to think that they were showing them off to me. Soon, they were followed by a male bluebird and his brood. This was too much for the Carolina wren who counts the dogwood as part of his territory. He fussed and chased them off.

I have Red shouldered Hawk in the back wooded area that's constantly calling. I'm surprised it catches anything
I heard one calling on campus last fall but never could see it. (I have turrible vision.) My advisor is a bird guy, so I sang the call at him, and he identified it. And they say that singing doesn’t have anything useful about it.

You’re right, they’re ridiculously noisy.

Reactions: Rishvol and Tin Man
I heard one calling on campus last fall but never could see it. (I have turrible vision.) My advisor is a bird guy, so I sang the call at him, and he identified it. And they say that singing doesn’t have anything useful about it.

You’re right, they’re ridiculously noisy.
The males especially

To begin, I am at best an amateur bird watcher in that I do like to watch birds and their behaviors, but am only familiar with the most common ones that I see around my house in middle TN (Beechgrove area). That being said, last Friday afternoon a friend and I spotted a bird in my back yard sitting on one of our forsythia bushes that I had never seen before. It had a very bright yellow chest, but it was not a Golden Finch, it was larger, about the size of a thrush or sparrow. It's back was dark, perhaps grey, but it was hard to tell because of shade. He was only there for a few seconds and then flew off. Since neither of us had ever seen one similar, we thought it might be a rare species.

Any ideas what it might have been?

Reactions: Rishvol
To begin, I am at best an amateur bird watcher in that I do like to watch birds and their behaviors, but am only familiar with the most common ones that I see around my house in middle TN (Beechgrove area). That being said, last Friday afternoon a friend and I spotted a bird in my back yard sitting on one of our forsythia bushes that I had never seen before. It had a very bright yellow chest, but it was not a Golden Finch, it was larger, about the size of a thrush or sparrow. It's back was dark, perhaps grey, but it was hard to tell because of shade. He was only there for a few seconds and then flew off. Since neither of us had ever seen one similar, we thought it might be a rare species.

Any ideas what it might have been?
Sounds like an oriole. Either male Baltimore or female Orchard

Sounds like an oriole. Either male Baltimore or female Orchard
I looked those up and I think you're right, the pics of the young Orchard Oriole look like what we saw.

We have a creek that runs through our property and we often see Ol' Mr. Blue Heron and also what I believe is a Belted Kingfisher.

I'll have to check on this thread periodically and learn from y'all.

A hummingbird has found my feeder. Hummers don’t nest near my house, but I put out feeders every August and keep them up into the Fall for the migrators headed south.

A female hummingbird has claimed my feeder. She roosts in the nearby dogwood tree and watches over her food source. Presently, she’s not having to defend it often.

Hummingbird behavior is different in the Spring and Fall. In the Spring, hummingbirds will feed peacefully together at a feeder. They’ve made the long flight to North America and are in route to their breeding grounds. In the late Summer and early Fall, they’re fattening up for the long flight back to South America and will defend a good food source like a feeder.

I don’t always put up a feeder in the Spring, but I always put up at least one feeder in the late Summer and Fall.

Haven’t heard or seen many robins the past few mornings. Maybe the locals have finished rearing their last broods and have joined the flocks flying around.

IMG_3326.PNG

This lil one stopped by for a free meal on our back deck this afternoon! Don't see them very often but hope he comes back again soon!

(this was taken thru french door so as not to scare him away so it's a bit fuzzy)

Last edited:
View attachment 670000

This lil one stopped by for a free meal on our back deck this afternoon! Don't see them very often but hope he comes back again soon!

(this was taken thru french door so as not to scare him away so it's a bit fuzzy)
Plant sunflowers in the Spring. They’ll show up next year.

VN Store

Back