BasketVols in the NBA (Pros)

I don't blame him for standing up for himself. Butler ran his mouth first.
No, Grant started it when he got cocky after hitting a 3 over Butler. And then Jimmy torched the Celtics. It was a bad decision by Grant that undoubtedly played a substantial hand in the Celtics losing a conference finals game.

Reactions: berryvol
Grant starting to get a bad reputation. And his play has dropped off pretty badly this season unfortunately

That's not at all true. He shot 45% total, 39.5% from 3 this year on highest career volume, played more minutes & games, has career highs in rebounds & assists. Even in the playoffs, where the Celtics coach decided to tighten the rotation, he has produced when he's been on the floor. He's shooting 47% from 3 in the playoffs.

He shouldn't have gone toe-to-toe with Butler, but that's not what lost the game. Remember, Butler cooked everyone else who guarded him, too. End of game turnovers from the Celtic starters (again), settling for late ISO 3s (again), poor shooting (starters were 5 of 23 from 3), and perplexing defense choices (like not doubling Butler) are what cost Celtics the game.

And there is no "bad rep". He is irritating to play against but not dirty, and he's a great teammate. There's a good chance Celtics will not resign him this summer especially if they lose this series, because he's an easily moved piece. A lot of teams will be interested.

That's not at all true. He shot 45% total, 39.5% from 3 this year on highest career volume, played more minutes & games, has career highs in rebounds & assists. Even in the playoffs, where the Celtics coach decided to tighten the rotation, he has produced when he's been on the floor. He's shooting 47% from 3 in the playoffs.

He shouldn't have gone toe-to-toe with Butler, but that's not what lost the game. Remember, Butler cooked everyone else who guarded him, too. End of game turnovers from the Celtic starters (again), settling for late ISO 3s (again), poor shooting (starters were 5 of 23 from 3), and perplexing defense choices (like not doubling Butler) are what cost Celtics the game.

And there is no "bad rep". He is irritating to play against but not dirty, and he's a great teammate. There's a good chance Celtics will not resign him this summer especially if they lose this series, because he's an easily moved piece. A lot of teams will be interested.
Grant had a good game up to that point but it absolutely was a bad decision. Butler and the Heat were wilting at that point but that fired him up. He even specifically called it out in post game interviews. Don't give any extra motivation to the opponents.

I can hardly believe the coach didn't call for any support against the guy. It's not like any of his other guys had stopped the guy solo.

Also, like so many "obvious" things, this one too is exclusively a matter of hindsight. If dude had gone cold or the Celtics had gotten fired up and gone on a run at that point, the same people would be saying it was "genius." That's why so much retrospective criticism is meaningless. It presupposes the outcome, i.e., begs the question.

I can hardly believe the coach didn't call for any support against the guy. It's not like any of his other guys had stopped the guy solo.

Also, like so many "obvious" things, this one too is exclusively a matter of hindsight. If dude had gone cold or the Celtics had gotten fired up and gone on a run at that point, the same people would be saying it was "genius." That's why so much retrospective criticism is meaningless. It presupposes the outcome, i.e., begs the question.
Really just seeing Butler's reaction in the moment I felt like he should have immediately taken Grant out. At least stop putting him in one on one situations against him. Mazzulla is working his way into getting canned after one season.

Reactions: HighWaterVol
Grant starting to get a bad reputation. And his play has dropped off pretty badly this season unfortunately

I disagree. IDK why he fell out of the rotation and the C's are worse this year, despite having a better roster...Joe M is fkn up personnel decisions

He lost the game. Fueled Butler and gave up all the momentum.

I only saw the highlights from last night as I was out with family. At first, based on people’s reactions, I thought this was the case. But, upon reflection, I’ve seen a lot of Celtics fans step back from the ledge and defend Grant as the only person showing any sort of fire in the 4th quarter. Brown and Tatum didn’t make a SINGLE field goal in the 4th quarter. Grant had 6 4th quarter points. You can’t blame Grant when your 2 superstars were no shows down the stretch yet again.

I only saw the highlights from last night as I was out with family. At first, based on people’s reactions, I thought this was the case. But, upon reflection, I’ve seen a lot of Celtics fans step back from the ledge and defend Grant as the only person showing any sort of fire in the 4th quarter. Brown and Tatum didn’t make a SINGLE field goal in the 4th quarter. Grant had 6 4th quarter points. You can’t blame Grant when your 2 superstars were no shows down the stretch yet again.
This is the truth of it. Nobody else was there for it and they hung him out to dry by not sending help against butler either. It blows my mind that the Celtics brain trust decided that they should have GW play one on one against butler as a 4th quarter strategy. Nobody else did anything on offense or defense for that stretch (outside of some bad turnovers).

I was rooting for Miami though so I’m not sad, but the reason why they won wasn’t because Jimmy got extra motivated down the stretch. The reason they won was that they absolutely dominated the glass and Tatum/Brown **** the bed like they usually do 🤷‍♂️

VN Store

Back