BasketVols in the NBA (Pros)

I only saw the highlights from last night as I was out with family. At first, based on people’s reactions, I thought this was the case. But, upon reflection, I’ve seen a lot of Celtics fans step back from the ledge and defend Grant as the only person showing any sort of fire in the 4th quarter. Brown and Tatum didn’t make a SINGLE field goal in the 4th quarter. Grant had 6 4th quarter points. You can’t blame Grant when your 2 superstars were no shows down the stretch yet again.

That's fair. I didn't realize Tatums 4th was as bad it was until I was looking back at the highlights this morning. Overall definitely a lot of blame on him for missing everything and turning the ball over repeatedly.

I only saw the highlights from last night as I was out with family. At first, based on people’s reactions, I thought this was the case. But, upon reflection, I’ve seen a lot of Celtics fans step back from the ledge and defend Grant as the only person showing any sort of fire in the 4th quarter. Brown and Tatum didn’t make a SINGLE field goal in the 4th quarter. Grant had 6 4th quarter points. You can’t blame Grant when your 2 superstars were no shows down the stretch yet again.

Yeah I watched the game.

I assumed he would get scapegoated and he still may by all the hot take artists when they reconvene for their shows on Monday.

But NBA Reddit seems to be mostly defending Grant, along with guys like Bill Simmons who is a diehard Celtics fan.

The reality was, from my point of view…

Grant defended him decently. Lot of those shots he made were contested. It’s just Playoff Jimmy Butler. He does this to everyone.

That's fair. I didn't realize Tatums 4th was as bad it was until I was looking back at the highlights this morning. Overall definitely a lot of blame on him for missing everything and turning the ball over repeatedly.
Tatums knock has always been his killer instinct and clutch play. I thought he turned the corner after scoring 50 the other night game 7 but clearly not. The Kobe comparisons are absolutely comical

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Tatums knock has always been his killer instinct and clutch play. I thought he turned the corner after scoring 50 the other night game 7 but clearly not. The Kobe comparisons are absolutely comical

Kobe was not anything special as a clutch guy, especially at Tatum's age. It's the most believed lie in NBA history that Kobe had a clutch gene. He had 5 finals where he shot less than 42% and 43% in another. His 2004 finals is one of the worst, most destructive performances of all time.

People try to say Steph isn't good in the finals but he's shooting Kobe percentages with 10 3's a game. I have no idea how Kobe is Mr. Clutch and Curry gets half credit. It makes no sense.

A Statistical Analysis Of Clutch NBA Shooters Since 2000 - Liberty Ballers

Last edited:
He lost the game. Fueled Butler and gave up all the momentum.
Nope. Butler did the same thing in game 1 4th quarter to the Celtics...he was going to switch into Playoff Jimmy Buckets no matter what at the end of that game. Unfortunately for Grant, he gave Butler easy fodder, but that's not what lost the game for the Celtics.

Nope. Butler did the same thing in game 1 4th quarter to the Celtics...he was going to switch into Playoff Jimmy Buckets no matter what at the end of that game. Unfortunately for Grant, he gave Butler easy fodder, but that's not what lost the game for the Celtics.

I went back to rewatched it. I guess I wouldn't be so blunt to say he lost it...but he definitely gave Butler the fuel that ended up turning the game around

Great night for Grant Williams in the East Conf Finals - (4) 3’s, handful of rebounds and several really good defensive stops. Hope the Celtics can make a series out of it.
I thought it was telling that numerous Heat fans were defending him (and not just in the admittedly funny "we need him to talk smack so Butler will get going" defending). In a great moment from last night, he played great one on one defense guarding Butler, and finished by BLOCKING Jimmy Buckets!

^^Almost mentioned that play - Jimmy worked to force a switch so Grant would guard him then Grant blocked him and took the ball away.

Reactions: Lukusw
So, Kennedy Chandler got cut, and has not been resigned by anyone? Is this just a timing issue or is he done in the NBA?

They waived him for the roster spot not because he's done. They needed another big for the playoffs. I remember reading he wasn't expected to clear waivers but I'm not sure what the expected timeliness was for that. I think the window for teams to pick him up hasn't started yet

Reactions: UneducatedGuess
They waived him for the roster spot not because he's done. They needed another big for the playoffs. I remember reading he wasn't expected to clear waivers but I'm not sure what the expected timeliness was for that. I think the window for teams to pick him up hasn't started yet

I believe he can sign with a team July 1

Reactions: n_huffhines
Phillips, like so many, will be drafted based on his athleticism and long-term potential, even though, like so many draftees, he's not ready
for the NBA. He'll be in the G league for /at least/ 2 years, IMO.

Former Vols confirmed to play in NBA Summer League so far:

Julian Phillips (Chicago)
Justin Powell (Miami)
Jordan Bowden (LA Clippers)
Tariq Owens (Memphis)
Kennedy Chandler (Brooklyn)
Jaden Springer (Philadelphia)
Keon Johnson (Portland)
Uros Plavsic (Atlanta)
Yves Pons (Atlanta)

No word yet on:

Jarnell Stokes
Kyle Alexander
Admiral Schofield
Jordan Bone

In somewhat relevant news, Yuri Collins will play for Golden State.

Will update as (if) names are announced.

Last edited:
Former Vols confirmed to play in NBA Summer League so far:

Julian Phillips (Chicago)
Justin Powell (Miami)
Jordan Bowden (LA Clippers)

No word yet on:

Kennedy Chandler
Uros Plavsic
Jarnell Stokes
Kyle Alexander
Admiral Schofield
Jordan Bone
Keon Johnson
Jaden Springer

In somewhat relevant news, Yuri Collins will play for Golden State.

Will update as (if) names are announced.
Updated.

From SI free agency discussion:

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/06/28/nba-free-agency-news-draymond-green-damian-lillard

Boston still has some roster decisions to make after acquiring Kristaps Porziņģis last week. Chief among them: Grant Williams, a restricted free agent. Williams scuffled in the second half of last season and was in and out of Joe Mazzulla’s rotation in the playoffs. But given the age (Al Horford) and injury history (Porziņģis, Robert Williams III) of its frontcourt, the Celtics need another reliable rotation player, and Williams, who shot 41.4% from three-point range before the All-Star break, has shown he can fit.

At a charity event in the Boston area Monday, Williams left the door open for a Boston return.
“Brad [Stevens] and those guys, if they decide to keep me and bring me back, of course I’m going to come back and be excited and happy and ready to play for the Celtics,” Williams said. “If something else happens, then I’ll have to transition, but for me, my outlook has always been that I want to make sure, wherever I am, to impact success and winning and make sure I’m just there for my players around me and focus on the team first. Whatever happens this free agency, we’ll do that.”

VN Store

Back