best vols runningback

who is vols all-time back

• Total voters
If Chuck Webb had stayed healthy and been a better citizen, we just might have gotten that National Championship a few years earler.

well he wasnt so he was a waste of huge talent. god i hate that.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 18, 2005 10:48 PM
TALENT... Chuck Webb. No question. Speed, Vision, Power. Out of the Clarett mold though, a thug. Cannot be" Little Man" his fumbles cost us 2 'Bama games.

Like I said, I can guess at how good the rest of them are, but I know how good James Stewart is, so I feel like I have to vote for him.

But out of the rest, I'd say Henry.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 19, 2005 12:11 AM
How did Lewis compare to everyone else? Was he as good as his talent translated into the NFL?

Lewis was injuried during the 98 season, so his numbers weren't that great. I think Cedric Houston will do better in the NFL than his numbers look.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 19, 2005 12:11 AM
How did Lewis compare to everyone else? Was he as good as his talent translated into the NFL?

If he wasn't plagued by injury at Tennessee, he would have held every record I think. Jamal was fun to watch when he did play though. He was very similar to how he is now in his build and athleticism. That is one thing I loved about Jamal, he was big and could break tackles and once he got free, he was gone! Riggs kind of reminded me of him in the SECCG.

I view Riggs as more of an evasive runner than a workhorse, like guys like Jamal Lewis and Stephen Davis.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jan 19, 2005 12:33 AM
That is one thing I loved about Jamal, he was big and could break tackles and once he got free, he was gone!  Riggs kind of reminded me of him in the SECCG.

Cedric Houston reminds me of him, once he finds a hole he's gone, but he never breaks open that hole himself. Riggs is more aggressive.

Yeah, I do too. I was referring to his quickness more that anything. When you are leaving Auburns secondary behind, you are a quick one. I loved watching that.

You know who impressed me the most last year was Kenneth Darby of Bama. When we played them he had more heart than all out running backs combined, I watched him fight for every inch while our backs just looked for holes.

Yeah, he did a good job running the ball. It is amazing what you can do when you are the only hope for your team.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jan 19, 2005 12:45 AM
Yeah, he did a good job running the ball. It is amazing what you can do when you are the only hope for your team.

Hope is only part of it, I kept saying, why is he dragging tacklers on his back and we are just looking for holes.

Yeah, I give Darby all the credit in world. He did fight for every yard. IMHO, Cedric could not do that much because I think that he was a little worried about getting injured. Plus, it seemed like a lot of times when broke one open, he would tackle himself. Ced was still a great back for us who had a lot of good games.

Don't get me wrong, I love our backs, but sometimes they just don't show up. I don't want to hear this "They might get injured" BS. If that’s where your head is at then go find an agent and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ Kelly Washington. There are too many players that don’t even get a chance to play.

Johnny Majors.

That's an easy one.

He was tailback in the single wing, but he was runner up in the 1956 Heisman.

If you've never seen film of him run, you should. NO one could get ahold of him.

Little Man was fun to watch, but MAN those fumbles against Bama still kill me. Wasn't one of them on the 5 yard line, almost unprovoked, going in for a score???

Henry for what he did at UT. Lewis is the most dominant in the NFL, though. I'm sure he'll do well in the Prison League, too.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Jan 19, 2005 10:16 AM
Little Man was fun to watch, but MAN those fumbles against Bama still kill me. Wasn't one of them on the 5 yard line, almost unprovoked, going in for a score???

Henry for what he did at UT. Lewis is the most dominant in the NFL, though. I'm sure he'll do well in the Prison League, too.

the bama fumble was the low point but no one could stop little man over the top. he got some sick air doing that endzone dive.

i still vote, Little Man Stewart, since i played ball with him in high school. i guess that makes me biast.

i praise the whole list. and i dont see majors on that list either. :bow:

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Jan 19, 2005 6:43 AM
Chuck Webb was the most talented RB the Vols ever had

Webb's career was shortened by injury, but I also believe he was the most gifted running back to ever wear the Orange and White. He ran with power, he ran with speed (4.2), and his moves.... he could cut on a dime without losing a step.

VN Store

Back