best vols runningback

who is vols all-time back

• Total voters
Not too be too picky but it's Charlie Garner... Not Gardner... Sounds too much like a reciever in Washington who can't catch a cold. I voted for Lewis. It came down to Henry and Lewis... But you can't depend on Henry for 3 and 1 or 2 gains. Which is why McGahee is starting now.

you guys are crazy henry was great but you obviously dont remember the cobb-webb days , cobb was rediculous garner was better than henry i know lewis didnt do **** after he got hurt but what he did before was enough to say he was better than henry i mean come on if you had a choice between jamal lewis and travis henry now who would you pick jlew

Originally posted by OldVol@Jan 19, 2005 9:50 AM
Johnny Majors.

That's an easy one.

He was tailback in the single wing, but he was runner up in the 1956 Heisman.

If you've never seen film of him run, you should. NO one could get ahold of him.

Yep. JM was awesome and critical to the team. Crazy legs Majors

Jay Graham

He has 2 of the greatest runs in UT history. (both against Alabama) I've never seen a RB burst through a hole like he did. He had a short below average career in the NFL, but in my mind he's the greatest Tennessee has ever seen.

Originally posted by mylon-utk#1@Jan 20, 2005 12:44 AM
you guys are crazy henry was great but you obviously dont remember the cobb-webb days , cobb was rediculous garner was better than henry i know lewis didnt do **** after he got hurt but what he did before was enough to say he was better than henry i mean come on if you had a choice between jamal lewis and travis henry now who would you pick jlew

If I had to pick between Henry and Lewis, based only upon college performance.... my pick would be Henry, the all-time leading rusher in Vols history. The year I would use to compare them would be 1999, when they both played, had about the same stats... but Henry had a better per carry average (6.3 ypc to Lewis' 4.5 ypc) and made the yards in the critical situations when Lewis did not. Both had minor injuries, so that should not be an issue.

Lewis was birddogging on the sidelines as not to get hurt...looking ahead to the pros Henry was a better back for UT and Travis Stephens had more heart the both of them put together

A back that reminds me of Travis Stephens is/was Tony Thompson. He was behind Cobb and Webb. When we lost those players for various reasons, TT stepped up huge and had big games including pivotal runs (along with Greg Amsler) in the Sugarbowl against Virginia.

I'm just curious as to why nobody besides me picked Jay Graham. IMO, he had just as much to do with those defeats of Alabama (95, 96) as Manning did. I've never seen such a clutch runner at Tennessee.

Originally posted by lll Communication@Jan 20, 2005 2:23 PM
I'm just curious as to why nobody besides me picked Jay Graham. IMO, he had just as much to do with those defeats of Alabama (95, 96) as Manning did. I've never seen such a clutch runner at Tennessee.

Probably because he disappeared in the other games. He had 1438 yards (5.3 ypc) his jr year and then turned around and disappointed with only 797 yards (4.6 ypc) his sr season. However, his big runs against Alabama (2 times) and Ohio State couldn't be bigger in Tennessee history.

Originally posted by volinbham@Jan 20, 2005 2:19 PM
A back that reminds me of Travis Stephens is/was Tony Thompson. He was behind Cobb and Webb. When we lost those players for various reasons, TT stepped up huge and had big games including pivotal runs (along with Greg Amsler) in the Sugarbowl against Virginia.

Agreed. Nobody stepped up bigger than TT when he was called on.

Originally posted by lll Communication@Jan 20, 2005 2:23 PM

Kinda like the knock on James Stewart (one of my favs). Jay Graham had some fumble problems against Florida. In the game we were leading by a large margin in the first half, his fumble turned the momentum and we ended losing 60 something to 30 something. It is still one of the most painful losses for me. I believe he fumbled more than once at critical times against Florida.

The Bama and OSU runs were huge. I remember yelling at Fulmer for going conservative with a run at the end of the first half against OSU. By the time JG hit the endzone, I was convinced it was the right play call :rolleyes:

VN Store

Back