Biden Health Care Plan...interesting bullet point.

McDad

I can't brain today; I has the dumb.
I read through the Joe's plan. Like all politicians, a lot of blaming others, platitudes, lofty goals, and not a lot of specifics. I posted a link if you wanna check it out.
Plan to Protect and Build on Obamacare | Joe Biden

This nugget posted below stuck out to me. I think this is a great idea. We can buy other drugs like liquor, cigarettes, caffeinated items from other countries. Why not prescription drugs? Some who live close the border already go out of country to buy medication. My son in law's mother did this when we were on our cruise last year. This is an idea which uses open markets and competition to empower consumers to search out the products they want at the best price they can find.
  • Allowing consumers to buy prescription drugs from other countries. To create more competition for U.S. drug corporations, Biden will allow consumers to import prescription drugs from other countries, as long as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has certified that those drugs are safe.
Thoughts?

I read through the Joe's plan. Like all politicians, a lot of blaming others, platitudes, lofty goals, and not a lot of specifics. I posted a link if you wanna check it out.

This nugget posted below stuck out to me. I think this is a great idea. We can buy other drugs like liquor, cigarettes, caffeinated items from other countries. Why not prescription drugs? Some who live close the border already go out of country to buy medication. My son in law's mother did this when we were on our cruise last year. This is an idea which uses open markets and competition to empower consumers to search out the products they want at the best price they can find.
  • Allowing consumers to buy prescription drugs from other countries. To create more competition for U.S. drug corporations, Biden will allow consumers to import prescription drugs from other countries, as long as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has certified that those drugs are safe.
Thoughts?

A year ago it was a bad idea, at least getting drugs from Canada...

Prescription drugs imported from Canada won't lower prices for American consumers, experts say - CBS News

Thoughts?
In order to be sold here they must meet FDA criteria. As long as they do sure go ahead.

Will work for regular scripts but immediate need antibiotics, pain killers, etc... how useful will it be when CVS is 2 mi away and I need them right now? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: McDad
In order to be sold here they must meet FDA criteria. As long as they do sure go ahead.

Will work for regular scripts but immediate need antibiotics, pain killers, etc... how useful will it be when CVS is 2 mi away and I need them right now? 🤷‍♂️
Obviously, if you need something urgent it is a non starter. But your refills and such are hopefully applicable. The safety concerns are overblown, imo. Like I said, people have been buying out of country for years. Furthermore, people in other countries take meds manufactured outside of the US and those people seem to be fine with it.

My biggest concern with buying “mail order” from a foreign country is quality. I can buy a Rolex, Michael Kors, and 200G memory sticks for a lot less off eBay. Based on the fentanyl ODs blamed on China, I might just give something up for my drugs to be US certified

My biggest concern with buying “mail order” from a foreign country is quality. I can buy a Rolex, Michael Kors, and 200G memory sticks for a lot less off eBay. Based on the fentanyl ODs blamed on China, I might just give something up for my drugs to be US certified
Did you see this sentence in OP?
as long as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has certified that those drugs are safe.

Reactions: StarRaider
Did you see this sentence in OP?
as long as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has certified that those drugs are safe.
Yes, my question is how can that reliably be achieved? My concern is counterfeit drugs. How does the FDA guard against that? Currently I’m counting on CVS, Walgreens, etc to provide that safeguard.
It’s not like buying a shirt from Amazon that doesn’t fit, once I’ve invested the drug I’m all in

Thoughts?
I’m 100% on board with this option...... one concern I have is that America tends to put strict regulations on its companies which increases costs but then allows us to import/buy from other countries without such regulations..... I have no idea if that would happen here though.

Reactions: McDad
Yes, my question is how can that reliably be achieved? My concern is counterfeit drugs. How does the FDA guard against that? Currently I’m counting on CVS, Walgreens, etc to provide that safeguard.
It’s not like buying a shirt from Amazon that doesn’t fit, once I’ve invested the drug I’m all in
I probably cannot assuage your concerns about safety. But the same government which is tasked with inspecting the food you eat, and the drugs you currently take would be inspecting the drugs from outside the country.
I don't know this. But I assume the US based drug companies have manufacturing outside the US and those plants are held to high standards so the pharmaceutical company isn't hit with lawsuits.

Reactions: Wireless1

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me.

Reactions: McDad and vol66
Obviously, if you need something urgent it is a non starter. But your refills and such are hopefully applicable. The safety concerns are overblown, imo. Like I said, people have been buying out of country for years. Furthermore, people in other countries take meds manufactured outside of the US and those people seem to be fine with it.
The safety concerns could well be overblown and could be a product of the pharmaceutical lobby too. But currently that is law I believe so I imagine this would address that also if it were to go into effect

The way our healthcare system is run now, it’s a great idea. When you watch enough people have to choose between insulin and groceries you’ll believe that anything that meaningfully reduces cost is a great idea.

The way our healthcare system is run now, it’s a great idea. When you watch enough people have to choose between insulin and groceries you’ll believe that anything that meaningfully reduces cost is a great idea.

Umm, how does this changes anything since the majority of medications sold in the US are manufactured oversees?

Lol.

You will also believe if told that something should reduce costs but actually wont is a good idea too.

Word of advice, dont let the government tell you what is good.

I think this idea could really be a game changer to those people with chronic condition only managed with life long meds. I've heard insulin in america is obscenely expensive compared to other countries. But I don't know if that is due to other countries subsidizing or not. Do you know?

Reactions: OHvol40
Umm, how does this changes anything since the majority of medications sold in the US are manufactured oversees?
Manufacturing does not equal selling. Opening up the marketplace will drive down cost. Let me know why that’s a bad idea.

I think this idea could really be a game changer to those people with chronic condition only managed with life long meds. I've heard insulin in america is obscenely expensive compared to other countries. But I don't know if that is due to other countries subsidizing or not. Do you know?
Yes, it’s exponentially more expensive here.

VN Store

Back