Billionaires and Roth IRAs: the case for tax reform

True, but you know how this will probably end up in 20 or so years.......

Govt- "You don't really NEED your social security money" or "You can afford to pay more". "You've got a 401k/IRA/Savings/ect."
My retirement plan includes receiving $0 in SS. I think it'll either be completely eaten by MC premiums or means tested away from us.

They went by the exact same laws you can utilize.

Even if you make more than 150k you can still legally contribute to a Roth via a Backdoor.

The point is legally. It was added by law and every advisor worth a grain of salt would tell their client to utilize it if possible.

Don’t blame smart people for being smart.
So, just because something is legal means it’s good?

So, just because something is legal means it’s good?
In this particular case, the law is just because the govt doesn't have a right to take more from you just because you were more successful or got lucky on your investments. Plus, that would be changing the rules in the middle of the game over one (or a handful) isolated incident..

So, your opposed to honest discussion?
Not at all. Are you the arbiter of honest discussion?

Moral standards aren't equally shared in a large, diverse society. So, if taxes are a moral issue the issue grew exponentially complex and varied. Laws or "the law" are supposed to apply to all equally independent of any one person's moral preconceptions.

What would you like to discuss?
Should “tax free retirement accounts” have a reasonable cap on them or should these accounts also be used as tax dodges for wealth beyond a reasonable retirement amount. The back door ROTH was bad legislation IMO and will likely open the door to average folks who put their $5,000-$7,000 in annually having their legit retirement savings taxed down the road. It’s too easy for folks who’ve saved little to nothing to want Uncle Joe to remove tax free status from folks with $2 million and higher accounts.

Should “tax free retirement accounts” have a reasonable cap on them or should these accounts also be used as tax dodges for wealth beyond a reasonable retirement amount. The back door ROTH was bad legislation IMO and will likely open the door to average folks who put their $5,000-$7,000 in annually having their legit retirement savings taxed down the road. It’s too easy for folks who’ve saved little to nothing to want Uncle Joe to remove tax free status from folks with $2 million and higher accounts.
Why should they have a cap? What evidence do we have besides the unicorn Thiel account that this is even an issue? Hell we can’t get most Americans to save for retirement and we want to blow up 0.000000000001% of tax accounts as some kind of systemic problem? I’m a solid no, if you have the means to utilize legal tax avoidance by all means use them to the maximum extent possible.

Define "reasonable"

Now imagine the govt defining it and see how close you are

No there should not be a cap just because a few were very successful

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Define 'reasonable'.

Not at all. Are you the arbiter of honest discussion?

Moral standards aren't equally shared in a large, diverse society. So, if taxes are a moral issue the issue grew exponentially complex and varied. Laws or "the law" are supposed to apply to all equally independent of any one person's moral preconceptions.
One, I never said taxes were a moral issue, so not sure where you are getting that.

Laws can be changed. Laws can be unjust. Laws can allow people to take advantage of the system.

Means they did nothing wrong.

Means they had the same options everyone else had including you.
Slavery was legal once as well. And so, in the eyes of the law beating your slaves wasn’t wrong. Again, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s right. I’m not saying lock up billionaires. If you don’t the system is being lobbied and manipulated for the benefit of the uber elite, you’re kidding yourself.

Reactions: walkenvol
Slavery was legal once as well. And so, in the eyes of the law beating your slaves wasn’t wrong. Again, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s right. I’m not saying lock up billionaires. If you don’t the system is being lobbied and manipulated for the benefit of the uber elite, you’re kidding yourself.
It’s your contention that it’s immoral/bad/wrong even though it’s legal. Most everyone whom has responded has said they disagree. So plead your case. However for every Thiel you produce how many 10’s of thousands can be shown that don’t prioritize savings so why disincentivize them further? The rich are always going to have more investment options than the not rich. But the Thiel example is a unicorn even in those circles.

Oh I don’t think it was loaded based on your question. Or if it was it was no different than your own. Good vs bad is more of a morality question that a legality question is it not?
They can have moral connotations, but don’t necessitate it. The movie was good. Moral statement? This vitamin is good for you. Moral statement? The multi trillion dollar deficit is bad for the country. Moral statement?

As I said. Loaded question.

They can have moral connotations, but don’t necessitate it. The movie was good. Moral statement? This vitamin is good for you. Moral statement? The multi trillion dollar deficit is bad for the country. Moral statement?

As I said. Loaded question.
And as I said his question was no more loaded than the one you posted that he replied to.

To most of us this just screams of more rich envy and another wealth redistribution grab. So it’s gonna take more than “it’s immoral” to sell us. From where I’m sitting it’s immoral to come in after the fact and make a money grab on the fortunate ones. Are we going to give equivalent tax breaks on the many more unfortunate ones who lost big on tax advantaged investment accounts. Because the result should have parity for both cases.

And as I said his question was no more loaded than the one you posted that he replied to.

To most of us this just screams of more rich envy and another wealth redistribution grab. So it’s gonna take more than “it’s immoral” to sell us. From where I’m sitting it’s immoral to come in after the fact and make a money grab on the fortunate ones. Are we going to give equivalent tax breaks on the many more unfortunate ones who lost big on tax advantaged investment accounts. Because the result should have parity for both cases.
How many billionaires do you know? We are talking about a select elite group that has manipulated the economy to their advantage. Good to know they have you to defend them.

if you have the means to utilize legal tax avoidance by all means use them to the maximum extent possible.
I agree completely. The issue is should it be legal to have a tax free account above a certain level? I have a considerable amount in ROTH’s and other retirement accounts and my retirement plans don’t include the tax man grabbing a portion. If a reasonable generous cap would keep him away then I’m willing to discuss it

VN Store

Back