Bleachers game by game predictions for Vols

I hope Massey is right about the Ducks, he has us going undefeated.

I don't want to sound like I am hating on the ducks. I like the ducks, and was especially impressed by duck fans. But given the coaching change the losses up front on D, and injuries on D....I don't think that will happen. Any team who wants to go undefeated MUST have a solid defense, a power offense will get you wins, but a rock solid D gets you undefeated and or championship. The ducks don't have that......but they likely will win the Pac-10... and a bowl...but I have been wrong before....but I don't see it.

I don't want to sound like I am hating on the ducks. I like the ducks, and was especially impressed by duck fans. But given the coaching change the losses up front on D, and injuries on D....I don't think that will happen. Any team who wants to go undefeated MUST have a solid defense, a power offense will get you wins, but a rock solid D gets you undefeated and or championship. The ducks don't have that......but they likely will win the Pac-10... and a bowl...but I have been wrong before....but I don't see it.

I'm not at all worried about the defensive line this year. We're in very good shape there. Same with the corners and safeties. Only real question is at LB. And yea, you have to have offense AND defense to go undefeated. No doubt about that.

I look forward to the day when Massey predicts the same for the Vols

Honestly I put about as much belief in preseason rankings as I do in recruit rankings. Very very little.

The only benefit of a high early ranking is that as long as you win, you typically don't drop in the polls. And tend to move up as others drop games.

I'm not at all worried about the defensive line this year. We're in very good shape there. Same with the corners and safeties. Only real question is at LB. And yea, you have to have offense AND defense to go undefeated. No doubt about that.

It is my understanding the secondary is also plagued by injuries, and may not all be playing at 100%, it sounds like me defensively to get past Nov 7th the Ducks have got to be injury free on D.

Vanderbilt will not be a good team this year. They had a great year last season but losing their qb who was highly underrated and quite possibly their best wr will be too much to overcome this year. They had a cupcake of an out of conference schedule while playing a horrid AU team. The off season issues will be a distraction. You can take it to the bank, VU will not make a bowl this year.

It is my understanding the secondary is also plagued by injuries, and may not all be playing at 100%, it sounds like me defensively to get past Nov 7th the Ducks have got to be injury free on D.

I'll have to go check, but last I knew, the defense was in very good shape. As for DBs, Avery Patterson is back and healthy after last years injury. So we're actually in better shape than most thought.

I'd be really curious where you got your info. Like I say I haven't checked in a day or two.

Plus, from everything I've read, the depth on the defensive line is very good this year.

7-5 Will be big for us.

6-6 and a win in a bowl game will be a win for us THIS YEAR only. :)

Last edited:
I will take that prediction and be happy. Gives us a chance for a bowl win ti get to 8 wins. We could possible upset UGA or SC. The Oregon and Alabama games are gonna be blowouts.

Honestly I put about as much belief in preseason rankings as I do in recruit rankings. Very very little.

The only benefit of a high early ranking is that as long as you win, you typically don't drop in the polls. And tend to move up as others drop games.

WHAT! To many posters on here, recruiting rankings are all that matter. What they do once they get on campus is irrelevant. It's all about Feb.

Reactions: 2 people

We have 2005 season as a reminder that preseason ranking don't always meet expectation.

Imo recruit ranking are somewhat better than preseason ranking but both are only trash talking points for fans

Reactions: 1 person
I think the final w/l is about right but cbj has to steal an early home game against an sec team or they will be paying fans to fill the upper deck.. n that is a travesty but where we r at..n its suxs!!!!!!?????

Beats Saturdays Down South's prediction for us. They predicted 5-7 with a win over South Carolina and losses to Mizzou, Auburn and Vandy.. There ain't a snowballs chance in hell we lose all three of those games. If we are good enough to beat South Carolina, we should steamroll lowly Auburn and Vandy. Mizzou could be a tough road test. I still say we end up 7-5.

I originally had 8-4 a few weeks ago but I've drank a little more CBJ cool aid so I'm now going with 9-3 (6-2) Cotton Bowl win over Baylor and finish 10-3. Team is to good on the offensive and defensive line with experience, a lot of skill position talent, depth everywhere except CB, should have a solid kicking game this year, just saying! Definitely a much better coaching staff!

Austin Peay Win 55-7
Western Kentucky Win 49-14
Oregon Loss 35-24
Florida Win 30-21
South Alabama Win 45-14
Georgia Win 41-28
USCjr Win 35-28
Alabama Loss 24-21 (maybe an upset)then watch out!
Missouri Loss 21-17 (Alabama Carry over)
Auburn Win 41-21
Candy Win 38-17
Kentucky Win 40-10

:dance2:

Tennesseeduke

Last edited:
I originally had 8-4 a few weeks ago but I've drank a little more CBJ cool aid so I'm now going with 9-3 (6-2) Cotton Bowl win over Baylor and finish 10-3. Team is to good on the offensive and defensive line with experience, a lot of skill position talent, depth everywhere except CB, should have a solid kicking game this year, just saying! Definitely a much better coaching staff!

Austin Peay Win 55-7
Oregon Loss 35-24
Florida Win 30-21
South Alabama Win 45-14
Georgia Win 41-28
USCjr Win 35-28
Auburn Win 41-21
Candy Win 38-17
Kentucky Win 40-10

Tennesseeduke

cray cray :crazy: You can always tell when the season is just about ready to start.

Austin Peay Win 55-7
Oregon Loss 35-24
Florida Win 30-21
South Alabama Win 45-14
Georgia Win 41-28
USCjr Win 35-28
Auburn Win 41-21
Candy Win 38-17
Kentucky Win 40-10

Tennesseeduke

Can I get a swig off your "kool-aid"?

ole_smokey_apple_moonshine-300x300.jpg

I don't like the part we start 0-4 in the SEC, because the schedule as always is front loaded. It gets you down as a team and you have to work hard to catch up.

Let's hope his predictions come true! I see us losing to Auburn and Missouri (road game) however. I would much prefer his predictions to my own.
Go Vols

I do agree with Bleacher Reports prediction of points scored against SEC teams, which is an average of 21pts/game.

Actually a pretty good scenario for Butch's first season at the helm, would be nice to see TN in a bowl for a change.

Although I would dearly love to give Darth Spurrier a giant Shatburger to eat! :)

I don't like the part we start 0-4 in the SEC, because the schedule as always is front loaded. It gets you down as a team and you have to work hard to catch up.

In the near future it will be the opposition that gets down as a team, when we go 4-0 in 1st part of the SEC schedule!

VN Store

Back