Bluegrass Music

Hot Rize was legit. They added a new grass style but somehow managed to stay within the lines of traditional bluegrass as well. Nellie Kane was one of my favorites. Funny thing is, I’m only 27 and these are the guys my dad grew up listening to.
sadly had i never worked at wets id have never heard of any of these guys, and i'm 45

sadly had i never worked at wets id have never heard of any of these guys, and i'm 45
I cut my teeth on bluegrass cd cases. There are very few bands that I don’t know about when it comes to traditional bluegrass music. It’s all I’ve ever known though. Sadly it’s a dying breed. Gets harder every day to find more material/music. Lost of the top bluegrass artists are starting to go out and do more country/pop gigs because it’s pays more l. You can’t really blame them but at the same time, stick to what got you there. People came to see you because of your bluegrass. Sure there will still be a crowd but you lose a lot of “support” when you turn from what got you there.

This is an interesting bluegrass twist to a popular song. It's not the bluegrass of old.

Punch brothers are different but they can definitely pick with anyone. Chris Thule is a mandolin genius.
Def one of the most talented group of musicians I've ever seen perform. I found the mandolin very difficult to play, and what he does with it is nothing short of magical.

On Sunday mornings on Sirius XM radio, they have "The Gospel Train" bluegrass gospel, on their Bluegrass Junction channel. It used to be channel 62, but looks like they have moved it to #77. It's playing right now.

Reactions: VolKnight9
I'm not much of a concert goer, unlikely to just sit and listen to one band, yada yada. If I trigger something like Pandora I will start up a Del McCoury channel probably (various high lonesome). I will admit here that I am pretty positive on "The Cleverlys". It's basically Lonzo and Oscar. they did a super job of being in character 100% of the time. Some very good songs. Saw them live, really the last time I saw a live bluegrass show. Would do it again. They seem to burn band members out pretty fast. The original group was the funniest looking (which is important in this case).

Listened to a lot, a lot, a lot of Seldom Scene over the years. I was a big Hot Rize fan 40 years ago, and I blundered into Hot Rize's farewell concert at Opryland.

I saw "Masters of Bluegrass" when they were touring.

Oh yeah, somebody posted something by "Joe Mullins and The Radio Ramblers" a year or two ago and since then I've listened to everything they ever recorded. Very good.

Last edited:
How in the hell does this band not get more notoriety? Its like the Wu-tang of bluegrass.
Seemed like a pretty big deal to me while it lasted. Personally, I didn't find their music all that "compelling" I guess you'd say. I never choose to listen to any of it now. Maybe I will.

Seemed like a pretty big deal to me while it lasted. Personally, I didn't find their music all that "compelling" I guess you'd say. I never choose to listen to any of it now. Maybe I will.
Individually better than the whole. Bela is so talented as is Sam. John is in his own right but as a song writer. Others like Curtis Burch & Mark O Connor have been a prt at various times.

Reactions: Firebirdparts
Nice. I’m a traditional bluegrass fan. Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Authentic Unlimited, Rhoda Vincent and The Rage, JD Crowe and the New South, Tony Rice etc. I only ever listen to bluegrass. Best music on earth.

Was fortunate to meet Doyle Lawson earlier this year. Got to talk to him one on one for probably 10 minutes after I realized who he was. Super humble and seemed like a great guy. Pretty positive he would have never told me who he was if I hadn't noticed.

Wish I could have thought to ask him more about his time with The Bluegrass Albumn Band and Tony Rice. Was just a bit at a loss for words.

Was fortunate to meet Doyle Lawson earlier this year. Got to talk to him one on one for probably 10 minutes after I realized who he was. Super humble and seemed like a great guy. Pretty positive he would have never told me who he was if I hadn't noticed.

Wish I could have thought to ask him more about his time with The Bluegrass Albumn Band and Tony Rice. Was just a bit at a loss for words.
coulda been his twin brother, lol

saw him at VI back in 2000's, with Ralph Stanley. Great show.

His rendition of Carolina in the Pines😍 Years later Id hire Quarterhouse Bluegrass of brevard to play that at my wedding.

I know there is a lot of talk about Bill Monroe and Jimmy Martin being the Father of Bluegrass and King of Bluegrass but to me, Doyle Lawson is the best there has ever been. He has consistently put a product out there that is top of the line. From the harmony to the musicianship, all the members of DLQ have made an impact on the World of Bluegrass music. He has taken many young fellows under his wing and molded them into great band leaders/members. guys like Steve Gulley, Barry Abernathy, Jamie Dailey, Jimmy VanCleve, Barry Scott and many more. Bluegrass would be in bad shape without Doyle being a constant throughout the years.

A living legend for sure!

Told me had had retired from touring. Hopefully he still plays some! 🤞

He still lives somewhere in SW Va. Can't remember what town.

This was after Jimmy Millsapps left the band and Laney took over on banjo. Loved that group before Millsapps left and also Brewster left. Mark Newton came in and they put out the Painted Lady album. It was all good stuff and I spent almost every weekend at Buddy's BBQ. Also saw a lot of great bands at Red Gate Farms Bluegrass Festival.

VN Store

Back