Bluegrass Music

I made a special effort to go see takeharu kunimoto who played that slack string Japanese thing in an ETSU bluegrass ensemble. I haven’t heard anything about them for years. They were outstanding. They called themselves “the last frontier” and I knew I would never remember that. Had to google it.

Anyway, back then I bought their music on CD. Fabulous, every song.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I omitted Doyle Lawson from my initial post. When I was in college, he was just about all we listened to, and I could probably sing their entire discography to date, and the harmony parts too.

When people talk about "1980's music" I will sometimes joke that I spent the 80's trying to get away from it. It was on everywhere you went. Younger people today, I suppose, will not really ever experience anything like "top 40". Everybody listens to his own phone.

The Cleverlys have an album coming out Friday, for those of you that don't follow them on the intergoogle.

I have an old family friend in "The Tennessee Bluegrass Band" and they seem to be charting a bunch of stuff. I never really knew bluegrass charts were a thing but anywhere they're happy.

The Cleverlys have an album coming out Friday, for those of you that don't follow them on the intergoogle.

I have an old family friend in "The Tennessee Bluegrass Band" and they seem to be charting a bunch of stuff. I never really knew bluegrass charts were a thing but anywhere they're happy.
Tennessee Bluegrass Band has some really good stuff out there.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I went on spotify and listened to Hot Rize all day yesterday. Tim OBrien is such a great singer.

I had both their albums, and loaned them to Eric McMurray when were probably 16 years old. He left them in the car on a hot day and warped 'em. No hard feelings though. Eric was a very good influence on me. He could sing baritone, which is a rare skill, and he would get me and my brother at school and he'd say "let's sing something" in 3 part harmony. Always fun.

I have a short playlist here that I have had a core around it for 20 or 30 years, as long as you could load music on a PC, let's say. And some of these songs, even though I bought them on CD, won't play anymore. I'll have to work on that. Eric was a banjoist when we were kids but later he played the mandolin in Moccasin Gap here below. I liked their version of foggy mountain breakdown.
1690469711122.png
For some reason, the Cleverlys like to do "Wait a Minute" in concert; Paul Harris just likes it, I guess.
"Track 21" here is a song that must be called "Seek Ye Out the Old Paths" by Paul Williams and the Victory Trio. I never knew who recorded it until I just now tried to decipher it.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This was after Jimmy Millsapps left the band and Laney took over on banjo. Loved that group before Millsapps left and also Brewster left. Mark Newton came in and they put out the Painted Lady album. It was all good stuff and I spent almost every weekend at Buddy's BBQ. Also saw a lot of great bands at Red Gate Farms Bluegrass Festival.
When did Buddy's stop having live bluegrass? I really enjoyed going there for a few yrs in late 70s & early 80s. ???

I know there is a lot of talk about Bill Monroe and Jimmy Martin being the Father of Bluegrass and King of Bluegrass but to me, Doyle Lawson is the best there has ever been. He has consistently put a product out there that is top of the line. From the harmony to the musicianship, all the members of DLQ have made an impact on the World of Bluegrass music. He has taken many young fellows under his wing and molded them into great band leaders/members. guys like Steve Gulley, Barry Abernathy, Jamie Dailey, Jimmy VanCleve, Barry Scott and many more. Bluegrass would be in bad shape without Doyle being a constant throughout the years.
You Sir are spot on! He’s groomed some of the best.
Met Doyle several times going to shows with my Grandpa as a teen. Always thought it was so cool that he knew my Pa by name.

Bela Fleck & friends PBS "My Bluegrass Heart". What a lineup of musicians: Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Billy Strings, Ed Meyer, etc. Watching a rerun of that 2022 concert at Ryman Auditorium was spellbinding. :cool:

Reactions: Jackcrevol
saw blue highway, unexpectedly at Hoofers Gospel Barn. Not sure if its still open or not.
I don't know if they still operate or not. I saw Rhonda Vincent and Dry Branch Fire Squad there. I've been to Mill Town Music Hall to see Dailey and Vincent and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band before it closed. The Dirt Band has long been a favorite of mine and I've seen them many times. When it comes to blue grass, the Seldom Scene was the band I loved the most but I always thought the Knoxville Grass and New Dawn were as good as almost anyone.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I don't know if they still operate or not. I saw Rhonda Vincent and Dry Branch Fire Squad there. I've been to Mill Town Music Hall to see Dailey and Vincent and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band before it closed. The Dirt Band has long been a favorite of mine and I've seen them many times. When it comes to blue grass, the Seldom Scene was the band I loved the most but I always thought the Knoxville Grass and New Dawn were as good as almost anyone.
RV&R are on my list.

One of the most unexpected things I've seen was at Raccoon Creek Music Park. There was a surprise appearance by Earl Scruggs playing with Lizzy Long who is part of the Lewis Family. He passed away a couple of years later.

Blue Highway has always put on a good show.
Then saw them AGAIN walking past Sherrod Library one afternoon, around lunch time. ETSU had set up a stage between library and Culp center.

There were may two or three people out there listening.

So happy for Tim and the guys that they do their own festival now. All that hard work paid off. ETSU should have made an effort to market stuff like that better.

They had the Minidome vacant for over a decade. Stating they wont allow concerts and events. Built the Martin Center for the Arts, and have broadway- comedians - and cover bands. STILL no real concerts and sure as heck dont see any ties in to Bluegrass Program.

App State and others have unbelievable events, and the people around know about them.

I remember Miranda Lambert playing at ETSU football stadium last year, bc I could hear it across town. They say it was an excellent event.

VN Store

Back