Bottom line on winning the natty in 2024

Remember this symbol:

1702403715556.png

We can call it The Heupel Curve.

This is the path Josh Heupel is charting. The first high point is Hendon Hooker's crew in '22. The dip is Joe Milton's run in '23. For 2024 and beyond we resume the climb to championship caliber.

Go Vols!

Reactions: Swiftybaby
I think you are not looking at our talent gaps. New QB incoming and must still fix the defense. I can foresee being lucky and getting into the playoffs but we are not going to win them next year.

If Nico pans out as expected and the defense is shored up, lets revisit this in 2025.
I think our starting 22 (with questions about defensive backfield) gets us in the conversation; but we still don’t have the depth to hang with the top dogs for 60 minutes yet.

Reactions: Gandalf
I think our starting 22 (with questions about defensive backfield) gets us in the conversation; but we still don’t have the depth to hang with the top dogs for 60 minutes yet.
I think that's still true, and might be for another year or two.

But there are only three "top dogs" on our schedule next year. We can go 9-3 without even pulling an upset. We pull just one, say against Oklahoma away or Bama at home, and we could be in the playoffs.

Go Vols!

Reactions: OrangeTsar
I think that's still true, and might be for another year or two.

But there are only three "top dogs" on our schedule next year. We can go 9-3 without even pulling an upset. We pull just one, say against Oklahoma away or Bama at home, and we could be in the playoffs.

Go Vols!
Agree, but we could lose all 3, and drop one we shouldn't like the last 2 years and lose at least 4. Hope that's not the case

Oline & Dline will be near tops in the country.
Great skill players but need a WR to step up.
Nico will be elite

I like our chances especially getting into the 12 team playoff then get hot & win it all !
Experienced lines. Far from "tops" in the SEC much less in the country
Skill players are somewhat unknown. Young, somewhat talented but unproven for the most part.
Nico has a lot of hype and potential, but he's got to prove it on the field. Hasn't done that yet.
I'll be happy with 8 wins next year. The idea of a "natty" next year is...well...ridiculous. No offense.

I'm of the opinion that he was at least as good as Joe by mid-season this year.
Joe got better. So which Joe? And if he needs several games to get rolling but there's no way I'm putting a dollar on him being "elite" year one.

Sometimes it’s the opposing QB stepping on a lineman’s foot and laying the football on the ground….or completing a 4th and 31 TD pass late in the 4th quarter on your arch-rival’s home field.
Yep Bama beat a 6 & 6 Auburn team on a last second luck pass with the chances 99.5 to 0.05% it does not work. Auburn basically playing with a 3rd team type QB who wouldn't start at any other SEC team sans Vandy. Bama assured of a Top 4 where a team like FSU who is undefeated and gets their 2nd string QB back is not, it is also good to be Bama.

I like our chances especially getting into the 12 team playoff then get hot & win it all !

I will have whatever he is Drinking!!!!:rolleyes:

Oline & Dline will be near tops in the country.
Great skill players but need a WR to step up.
Nico will be elite

We’ll have some experience in the trenches. This team just doesn’t have the talent or depth imo yet to be elite. Nico is also young and inexperienced. Who knows what we’ll have in the secondary or at TE? In my experience in a conference like the SEC more can go wrong than goes right with all those question marks. That’s not negativity it’s reality.

VN Store

Back