Burning Red Shirts

biggestvols

When asked if he considered putting in either freshman QB, Butch said bluntly, No. It is my understanding that when one speaks of playing the freshmen, the common chorus responds "don't burn their red shirts." But say one of these kids is a gamer and turns out to be good as a freshman and eventually very good. How long will a very good QB stay in college? My bet is that if he is very good it is doubtful he will stay 3 or 4 years. I seriously doubt a very good college QB stays 5 years. Now, if they wind up being mediocre wouldn't we want to try to find a better option in the next 5 years?

In other words, it seems QB may be a bit different than other positions. Just take Tyler Bray, he wasn't great but he was pretty good and he was gone as quick as possible.

Plus, Butch must think these Freshman are pretty good bc he is not recruiting a QB this year.

Last edited:
Maybe it wasnt a good idea to but bricks in the hands of an angry mob? Maybe we should go down there and burn the red shirts!

So you want to burn redshirts to have the same record we would have with Worley?

Or with these classes coming in the current freshmen can play with some top notch talent that come in for longer.

Reactions: 1 person
When asked if he considered putting in either freshman QB, Butch said bluntly, No. It is my understanding that when one speaks of playing the freshmen, the common chorus responds "don't burn their red shirts." But say one of these kids is a gamer and turns out to be good as a freshman and eventually very good. How long will a very good QB stay in college? My bet is that if he is very good it is doubtful he will stay 3 or 4 years. I seriously doubt a very good college QB stays 5 years. Now, if they wind up being mediocre wouldn't we want to try to find a better option in the next 5 years?

In other words, it seems QB may be a bit different than other positions. Just take Tyler Bray, he wasn't great but he was pretty good and he was gone as quick as possible.

Plus, Butch must think these Freshman are pretty good bc he is not recruiting a QB this year.

so basically might as well not even watch the rest of the games because butch isn't playing the best players that give us the best chance to win. feel bad for anybody that bought tickets this year.

They have been recruiting QBs but could not get one as good as what they have. The freshman are not ready yet and not as good as the two ahead of them. Coach is trying to win games

So you want to burn redshirts to have the same record we would have with Worley?

Or with these classes coming in the current freshmen can play with some top notch talent that come in for longer.

And you know we would have the same record with them as Worley how? Also how do you know that them playing this year won't help things next year. The concept of not playing somebody in a position that you have concerns about just because you don't want to burn a redshirt is dumb. We've got serious problems at the QB position and need to find answers, instead of trying to hold onto a redshirt that may or may not matter. We don't know what the future holds for this program 4 years down the road so why hold onto a redshirt pretending that we do? I mean just a couple of years ago people were freaking out when we burned Worley's, now I don't think you can find anybody in here that wishes he had it back.

Reactions: 2 people
They have been recruiting QBs but could not get one as good as what they have. The freshman are not ready yet and not as good as the two ahead of them. Coach is trying to win games

Not as good? If they are that bad they need to be searching every HS in the country for a QB.

Burn baby burn red shirt inferno! Burn that mutha down! They came here to play! Play everybody! Find someone who can complete a pass! And if none of them can do it, then you start recruiting another that you hope can and then burn his redshirt when he gets here! Win at all costs!

And you know we would have the same record with them as Worley how? Also how do you know that them playing this year won't help things next year. The concept of not playing somebody in a position that you have concerns about just because you don't want to burn a redshirt is dumb. We've got serious problems at the QB position and need to find answers, instead of trying to hold onto a redshirt that may or may not matter. We don't know what the future holds for this program 4 years down the road so why hold onto a redshirt pretending that we do? I mean just a couple of years ago people were freaking out when we burned Worley's, now I don't think you can find anybody in here that wishes he had it back.

fans are concerned. the staff is not at this point concerned with QB play. lots of other positions they are concerned with including WRs... but they understand the WRs are very young and inexperienced.. that means it takes time for them to learn what they are doing at this level and how to do things. fans need to be patient

Reactions: 2 people

People don't understand that u show that u r ready in practice and our two freshman haven't shown it yet.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch is gonna have to burn a Red Shirt at some point in the next games. Its gonna be so bad, that he will have no choice. Florida is gonna do is just like Oregon did...

I'd say go with Worley this week until maybe Halftime. If he's still not performing, i'd go with Peterman in the second half and South Alabama. Try and get him ready for the SEC schedule.. Let Worley be the back up.. He's had his chance at that point...

fans are concerned. the staff is not at this point concerned with QB play. lots of other positions they are concerned with including WRs... but they understand the WRs are very young and inexperienced.. that means it takes time for them to learn what they are doing at this level and how to do things. fans need to be patient

Patience is hard for this crowd.

Not as good? If they are that bad they need to be searching every HS in the country for a QB.

He didn't say they were terrible, but no where near ready for the gauntlet of the SEC. I would say they are searching, but finding someone to be SEC elite is hit and miss at best, especially without a great running game.

they could end up better in the long run but are not close to the other two yet.. score would have been much worse yesterday with other QBs taking Worley snaps

This same staff wasn't concerned with Munchie Legeaux either until he pretty much singlehandedly lost them a game despite it being obvious to everyone that he was a real problem. Kay then came in and you saw a marked improvement in that Cincinnati team.

This same staff wasn't concerned with Munchie Legeaux either until he pretty much singlehandedly lost them a game despite it being obvious to everyone that he was a real problem. Kay then came in and you saw a marked improvement in that Cincinnati team.

Jones is on track to turn this in a few years with recruiting. If fans want to start over with another coach in 3-4 years, they will be impatient. Tennessee is just not talented enough to compete for at least two years. doesn't matter who the QB is. Put the freshman in and you risk destroying their future by destroying their confidence. bring them along slowly and maybe, just maybe, they are the ones that flip this thing in 2015 or 2016..

Reactions: 3 people
peterman needs to start next week or we will put up another single digit effort. and yes i know we had 14 yesterday but that was garbage time

VN Store

Back