Bush Doing Unconstitutional Stuff?,

OrangeEmpire

The White Debonair
CNN

No surprise here.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush's penchant for writing exceptions to laws he has just signed violates the Constitution, an American Bar Association task force says in a report highly critical of the practice

It is all about Bush....

This memorandum provides you with an analysis of the legal significance of Presidential signing statements. It is addressed to the questions that have been raised about the usefulness or validity of a such statements. We believe that such statements may on appropriate occasions perform useful and legally significant functions. These functions include (1) explaining to the public, and particularly to constituencies interested in the bill, what the President believes to be the likely effects of its adoption, (2) directing subordinate officers within the Executive Branch how to interpret or administer the enactment, and (3) informing Congress and the public that the Executive believes that a particular provision would be unconstitutional in certain of its applications, or that it is unconstitutional on its face, and that the provision will not be given effect by the Executive Branch to the extent that such enforcement would create an unconstitutional condition.(1)

- MEMORANDUM FOR BERNARD N. NUSSBAUM, COUNSEL TO THE PRESIDENT November 3, 1993

W and numerous other presidents have, along with Congress, routinely violated the Constitution.

However, the article's objection is that Bush will refuse to enforce laws that he believes to be unconstitutional. Whether or not the President must enforce a law he finds to be repugnant to the Constitution raises the question of who determines the constitutionality of a law. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison believed that all parties involved in the compact had a right to determine whether the actions of government or government officials were in accordance with the Constitution.

Since all parties to a contract have a right to interpret its meaning, so do all parties affected by constitutional law. According to their view, Congress, the president, the courts, state legislatures, and the people all have a right to interpret the Constitution and act accordingly. Of course, this does not mean that any one of those parties has the final say as to whether a law is constitutional or not (its been assumed that the Supreme Court has the final say), just that all parties must act according to their conscience and understanding of the Constitution.

Imagine if Congress passes a law saying that all the homes of Americans will be searched for Cuban cigars. The president vetos the law and Congress overrides his veto. If the president refuses to enforce this law would that be unconstitutional? Of course not, because the law would be unconstitutional because Congress does not have the authority to issue it. As such, the president is not in violation of the Constitution by refusing to enforce it. This does not mean the matter is settled, however.

Citizens do the same when they wish to challenge the constitutional authority of a law. They simply refuse to follow it under the assumption that the law has no authority over them, get arrested, and the matter is adjudicated.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to justify the president's actions (I don't know which laws he has attached this disclaimer to), I am merely trying to demonstrate that there is some historical precedent for the president being able to intepret the Constitution and act in congruence with that interpretation.

Guys, if you don't like him that much, and you really think that he has violated the laws of your land, you have the consent of the founding fathers to overthrow his administration.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world."

It is your DUTY. *Or you can vote in November.....ehehehehe :air_kiss:

(OrangeEmpire @ Jul 27 said:
CNN

No surprise here.
It is all about Bush....
W and numerous other presidents have, along with Congress, routinely violated the Constitution.

However, the article's objection is that Bush will refuse to enforce laws that he believes to be unconstitutional. Whether or not the President must enforce a law he finds to be repugnant to the Constitution raises the question of who determines the constitutionality of a law. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison believed that all parties involved in the compact had a right to determine whether the actions of government or government officials were in accordance with the Constitution.

Since all parties to a contract have a right to interpret its meaning, so do all parties affected by constitutional law. According to their view, Congress, the president, the courts, state legislatures, and the people all have a right to interpret the Constitution and act accordingly. Of course, this does not mean that any one of those parties has the final say as to whether a law is constitutional or not (its been assumed that the Supreme Court has the final say), just that all parties must act according to their conscience and understanding of the Constitution.

Imagine if Congress passes a law saying that all the homes of Americans will be searched for Cuban cigars. The president vetos the law and Congress overrides his veto. If the president refuses to enforce this law would that be unconstitutional? Of course not, because the law would be unconstitutional because Congress does not have the authority to issue it. As such, the president is not in violation of the Constitution by refusing to enforce it. This does not mean the matter is settled, however.

Citizens do the same when they wish to challenge the constitutional authority of a law. They simply refuse to follow it under the assumption that the law has no authority over them, get arrested, and the matter is adjudicated.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to justify the president's actions (I don't know which laws he has attached this disclaimer to), I am merely trying to demonstrate that there is some historical precedent for the president being able to intepret the Constitution and act in congruence with that interpretation.

Guys, if you don't like him that much, and you really think that he has violated the laws of your land, you have the consent of the founding fathers to overthrow his administration.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world."

The clinton news network is slightly biased orange empire.

The clinton news network is slightly biased orange empire.

Precisely why I led with that particular story.

Every thing is for a reason.............Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Reaction.................

You will learn.......... :birgits_giggle:

Precisely why I led with that particular story.

You will learn.......... :birgits_giggle:
I didn't even read it. I soon as I saw the CNN link I knew better. :birgits_giggle:

I didn't even read it. I soon as I saw the CNN link I knew better.

Read the links then my comments................fun to read every thing then draw a conclusion......... :biggrin2:

Read the links then my comments................fun to read every thing then draw a conclusion......... :biggrin2:
I'll give it a shot. Sorry, I just can't stand CNN. Especially early in the morning. :banghead:

CNN

No surprise here.
It is all about Bush....

Sorry orange empire. That was a nice post. :eek:k:

(Orangewhiteblood @ Jul 27 said:
Come on OWB!!! Kerry said the other day that "If I were president we wouldn't have this problem in Iraq." Well, I guess he's right because if he was president the terrorists would be over here on our soil. Come on OWB!!! Get REAL!!!!

(smoke_em06 @ Jul 27 said:
Come on OWB!!! Kerry said the other day that "If I were president we wouldn't have this problem in Iraq." Well, I guess he's right because if he was president the terrorists would be over here on our soil. Come on OWB!!! Get REAL!!!!

You just keep thinking what you're thinking bushbot. That whole "we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here" is B.S. If we really wanted to fight the terrorists that attacked us, we would'nt be in Iraq right now.

Sure, some Iraq chapters of Al queda have formed since our invasion, but they weren't there before. Our little stint in Iraq has actually created terrorists IMO.

You just keep thinking what you're thinking bushbot. That whole "we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here" is B.S. If we really wanted to fight the terrorists that attacked us, we would'nt be in Iraq right now.

Sure, some Iraq chapters of Al queda have formed since our invasion, but they weren't there before. Our little stint in Iraq has actually created terrorists IMO.
WHAT!!! Ok, OWB you tell me what we should have done to protect this country. Since you obviously have a better idea. Please enlighten me.

WHAT!!! Ok, OWB you tell me what we should have done to protect this country. Since you obviously have a better idea. Please enlighten me.

I will, but first you have to tell me who attacked us on 9/11 and where they were from.

"president vetos the law and Congress overrides his veto. If the president refuses to enforce this law would that be unconstitutional? Of course not, because the law would be unconstitutional because Congress does not have the authority to issue it. As such, the president is not in violation of the Constitution by refusing to enforce it."

I'd like to know where in the Constitution it says that the President and his branch can determine what is and what is not Constitutional. Constitutionality is a concept the courts are to determine. Executive Branch is to execute the law not interpret the law as being constitutional.

Your example is quite of the extreme. Of course searching every house would be unconstitutional. And for this example, you'd have to say the opposite. Bush would be the one searching houses despite what Congress said.

The great dilemma here is that Tom DeLay and others have blue-face ranted about how Congress is the people's body and how the government should abide by what they say. But suddenly those same people who lined up behind DeLay during the Schiavo case and others like it are now running to line up behind the President and say that HIS interpretation power is correct. Which is it? I'd say neither. The Courts are the ones who determine constitutionality.

They were all militant arab muslims, who are sponsored openly or in secret by virtually every arab and muslim country. Attack any of them, it doesn't matter. Go to Syria next, or Iran, or Egypt, or Suadi. The formal governments in place allow the cell networks to exist and flourish while publicly maintaining a political hands off

(CSpindizzy @ Jul 27 said:
"president vetos the law and Congress overrides his veto. If the president refuses to enforce this law would that be unconstitutional? Of course not, because the law would be unconstitutional because Congress does not have the authority to issue it. As such, the president is not in violation of the Constitution by refusing to enforce it."

I'd like to know where in the Constitution it says that the President and his branch can determine what is and what is not Constitutional. Constitutionality is a concept the courts are to determine. Executive Branch is to execute the law not interpret the law as being constitutional.

Your example is quite of the extreme. Of course searching every house would be unconstitutional. And for this example, you'd have to say the opposite. Bush would be the one searching houses despite what Congress said.

The great dilemma here is that Tom DeLay and others have blue-face ranted about how Congress is the people's body and how the government should abide by what they say. But suddenly those same people who lined up behind DeLay during the Schiavo case and others like it are now running to line up behind the President and say that HIS interpretation power is correct. Which is it? I'd say neither. The Courts are the ones who determine constitutionality.

Isn't a passed act of legislation Constitutional the moment it is passed until a point in which the courts rule it unconstitutional?

That being said, I would say there are many administrations throughout history who have placed higher priority in certain dictates than in others. I would further argue that there is no reason to be alarmed over this, as it is just one more attempt by the media to discredit the Bush administration. However, what the media fails to realize is the following: They have reported on enough 'scandal' in the past 8 years that they are not going to be changing the opinions of many more voters. It is all big pomp and sensational, but in the end, the media has not offered any solutions, neither has the democratic party, and therefore the same people that voted Bush and GOP in '04, will vote GOP in '06 and '08.

I will, but first you have to tell me who attacked us on 9/11 and where they were from.

Al Qaeda operatives, from Saudi, Iran, and Syria (I believe.) Trained in Afghanistan, and deposited in the US via the Canadian Border.

(therealUT @ Jul 27 said:
Al Qaeda operatives, from Saudi, Iran, and Syria (I believe.) Trained in Afghanistan, and deposited in the US via the Canadian Border.

That question was for smoke em because I think he's one of the 33% of the Americans who believe they were from Iraq. I'm sure he'll deny it now though.

It was a group of terrorists led by Osama Bin Laden. Someone had to harbor these terrorists in support of their plan against america. Afghanistan and Irag were determined to be the largest of these harbor camps. That led us to Saddam Hussein who DID have WMDs. We gave him opportunity after opportunity to let us come in and do weapons inspection. When he won't let you in after so many attempts then you start to wander. What is he hiding?? Who knows because there is no telling where he sent it or what he did to it. Hussein and Iraq was a VERY fertile ground for breeding terrorists against the US and other countries. That led us to Iraq. Who I might add is now a democracy. No thanks to Bush though. Right OWB. Bush did something to Saddam that Clinton didn't have the balls to do during his term. But you probably think of Clinton as a God or something.

That question was for smoke em because I think he's one of the 33% of the Americans who believe they were from Iraq. I'm sure he'll deny it now though.

No, you still got him on it.

Someone had to support these terrorists OWB. Wander who that was??

It was a group of terrorists led by Osama Bin Laden. Someone had to harbor these terrorists in support of their plan against america. Afghanistan and Irag were determined to be the largest of these harbor camps. That led us to Saddam Hussein who DID have WMDs. We gave him opportunity after opportunity to let us come in and do weapons inspection. When he won't let you in after so many attempts then you start to wander. What is he hiding?? Who knows because there is no telling where he sent it or what he did to it. Hussein and Iraq was a VERY fertile ground for breeding terrorists against the US and other countries. That led us to Iraq. Who I might add is now a democracy. No thanks to Bush though. Right OWB. Bush did something to Saddam that Clinton didn't have the balls to do during his term. But you probably think of Clinton as a God or something.

I think you're still living in 2001..

VN Store

Back