Butch gettin shout outs from Mort on ESPN

Have we had a "Butch gets it" already today?

If not....BUTCH. GETS. IT!

But does the recruits get it, I think...I know CBJ will work this angle every chance he gets. I think Big Orange Country...Hang on...its going to be interesting because UT is changing before our eyes.

:hi:

Reactions: 1 person
But does the recruits get it, I think...I know CBJ will work this angle every chance he gets. I think Big Orange Country...Hang on...its going to be interesting because UT is changing before our eyes.

We'll see this year. Remember, he's playing with Dooley's players. We know this team mailed it in last year.

I think Jones will coach 'em up and have them reaching a little deeper when their backs are against the wall in the 2nd half.

My concernnnnnn. Does the Butch know how to evaluate talent???

:crazy:

Isn't that the idea behind this thread?

I think he was being sarcastic, but there is a difference in recruiting at Central Michigan than at UT. At CMU, you have to look for 2* diamonds in the rough because the studs are going to the power conferences and schools...not CMU.

I think he's proven he can get commitments from big time players and he isn't afraid to coach them.

Great coaches don't just do after the best players (Bryce Brown) but players that can also be coached. It's not about the best players, it's about the right players.

We'll see this year. Remember, he's playing with Dooley's players. We know this team mailed it in last year.

I think Jones will coach 'em up and have them reaching a little deeper when their backs are against the wall in the 2nd half.

The difference will be players coached team compared to a coaches coach team....current players get it...that is why they have open practices....wide open who is loafing...but EVEN with the fast pace I think they are all embracing the change.

Other points which struck me from that article (Projecting OTs is a tricky business - CBSSports.com) further illustrate Butch’s player evaluation and development skills:

“Of the six offensive tackles voted to the Pro Bowl [last year], only one was considered a blue-chip tackle recruit -- Joe Thomas of Wisconsin. The others [included] . . . Joe Staley, [who] was a 2-star tight end from Central Michigan. . . . Jones recruited Staley to Central Michigan. He was the one to bring Fisher, then an agile 242-pound high school football/basketball standout to CMU a few years later before Jones moved on to Cincinnati. Jones also struck gold on another unheralded project while at Cincy, in Eric Lefeld, a former 240-pound two-star defensive end prospect, also a former basketball player, who blossomed into being a First-Team All Big East offensive tackle as a 6-foot-6, 287-pound sophomore in 2012 and is now on the NFL's radar.

Staley, an All-Pro the past two seasons for the 49ers, has provided quite an example for Fisher, other aspiring linemen and college recruiters, too. Jones says Fisher was a 225-pound tight end/track standout when they recruited him to CMU. But like Fisher, Staley had a great frame and a lot of grit. Staley actually caught 11 passes as a freshman at CMU before Jones told him they wanted to move him to the O-line.

"He went into a little depression for a couple of days," Jones said, "but we told him down the road, you'll thank us."

Not at all. Any kids/parents that may be thinking, 'this guy came from Central Michigan and Cincy, I'm still not sold on him yet...', could have a total change of heart after hearing Mort's comments. Especially O-linemen. They are going to be loving him now. Any pub like that on a national stage is HUGE.

'twas pure sarcasm. He hates UT as much as anyone could. Or was that someone else that threw out that trailer park jab at Vol fans?

It was Fowler but Rece is a Tide grad so I don't expect him to love us.

I think he was being sarcastic, but there is a difference in recruiting at Central Michigan than at UT. At CMU, you have to look for 2* diamonds in the rough because the studs are going to the power conferences and schools...not CMU.

I think he's proven he can get commitments from big time players and he isn't afraid to coach them.

Great coaches don't just do after the best players (Bryce Brown) but players that can also be coached. It's not about the best players, it's about the right players.

Yes sir, I believe you are correct. The crazy face was a dead give away and it still slipped pass my meter.

When we first hired Butch, Mort was all over twitter singing his praises saying that we were very lucky to hire him and that he would do great things for us. As you guys said, always good to have + free publicity during the NFl Draft.

I would be very interested to know what the connection is. It's not everyday that a not-so well known coach from UC takes over at UT and the lead NFL correspondent for ESPN comments on it.

I've heard Mort on radio and TV say he was the best hire in the SEC this offseason. I'd like to know the connection too.

I'm curious about the connection between Mort and Butch as well. I found only the following comments:

“Nick Saban was only 5 games over .500, 0-3 in bowl games at Mich St when LSU hired. Give a Butch Jones the Vols/SEC resources, watch out” (Chris Mortensen tweets: Nick Saban was only 5 games over .500, 0-3 in bowl games at Mich St when LSU hired. Give a Butch Jones the Vols/SEC resources, watch out. - Dec 07 -277125585107562496).

“ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen completely backed Jones with his tweet at 1:49 p.m. that read: "Caught flak for saying Bill O'Brien was right man for Penn St. Now I'll say this: Tennessee Vols got lucky with Butch Jones #lovethehire" (Players, media tweet optimism for Butch Jones » GoVolsXtra).

"I think it is a great hire. I think, and I don't claim to be a college football expert, but it seems like all of the coaches that I have been around Butch Jones is one that is great at building a team. People get caught up in recruiting and all of those aspects of coaching. Butch is great at taking those recruits and building the individual and building accountability. Making players better teammates and creating togetherness and a bigger purpose. Coach Jones is a master of that. He is a master motivator a master team builder and a master at togetherness among teams. He is great at helping each individual with their own personal growth and in the end that helps the overall cause of the team. Being around his teams they have a great sense of togetherness. For the state of Tennessee, Butch Jones was a great hire" (What They're Saying About Butch Jones - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics).

I'm curious about the connection between Mort and Butch as well. I found only the following comments:

“Nick Saban was only 5 games over .500, 0-3 in bowl games at Mich St when LSU hired. Give a Butch Jones the Vols/SEC resources, watch out” (Chris Mortensen tweets: Nick Saban was only 5 games over .500, 0-3 in bowl games at Mich St when LSU hired. Give a Butch Jones the Vols/SEC resources, watch out. - Dec 07 -277125585107562496).

“ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen completely backed Jones with his tweet at 1:49 p.m. that read: "Caught flak for saying Bill O'Brien was right man for Penn St. Now I'll say this: Tennessee Vols got lucky with Butch Jones #lovethehire" (Players, media tweet optimism for Butch Jones » GoVolsXtra).

"I think it is a great hire. I think, and I don't claim to be a college football expert, but it seems like all of the coaches that I have been around Butch Jones is one that is great at building a team. People get caught up in recruiting and all of those aspects of coaching. Butch is great at taking those recruits and building the individual and building accountability. Making players better teammates and creating togetherness and a bigger purpose. Coach Jones is a master of that. He is a master motivator a master team builder and a master at togetherness among teams. He is great at helping each individual with their own personal growth and in the end that helps the overall cause of the team. Being around his teams they have a great sense of togetherness. For the state of Tennessee, Butch Jones was a great hire" (What They're Saying About Butch Jones - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics).

:good!:

Everyone's looking for a connection but Mort's wired to spot the next great thing...he usually does it for the NFL but his son was a college level quarterback who was on Tennessee's radar..I think he kept tabs on Knoxville's situation since then and as NFL players from Butch's programs started surfacing he became an admirer...I remember mid last season when it was becoming more likely Dooley would be replaced that Mort brought Jones up(sorry no link)...I groaned at the time and hoped that Dooley could turn it around...or that we could do better...thank God for unanswered prayers
Posted via VolNation Mobile

that's awesome

VN Store

Back