Butch Jones = Bruce Pearl?

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
Maybe it's just me, but Butch Jones reminds me a lot of Bruce Pearl. When Pearl took over the basketball team, the excitement level and confidence level of the basketball squad was at pretty much an all-time low. We had been through coaching changes, losing seasons, and a complete lack of confidence the years prior. Then Pearl came in and right away gave us a shot in the arm and reenergized our program. He gave us swagger that we had been missing and confidence and excitement followed soon after. More importantly, he resurrected our fan base and made UT a National Contender.

Now Butch has come in during a similar situation. An all-time football low. The swagger and confidence is coming back. I honestly haven't seen this much excitement locally and nationally surrounding UT in a long time. Coach Jones, like Bruce Pearl, seems to genuinely love our community and traditions. So far, he reminds me of the job that Pearl did with our lifeless basketball team.

Let's just hope he can be as successful (for the record, I think he will) on the field.

And uses better judgement when inviting guests to his BBQ's

Reactions: 20 people
Maybe, but I think it's too early to make that comparison, and honestly not really fair to Pearl (yet) because Pearl backed it all up on the court.

Pearl really got UT basketball noticed when they went down early in the season and shocked Texas at Texas; Jones gets his shot at Oregon :)

Reactions: 3 people
Agreed, this off season has been a breath of fresh air. Waaaaay overdue.

Pretty much two words and a name sums it up. And means every thing you just said.

Butch gets it!

Oh. This comparison thread again...yes there are many similarities. The both were very successful at smaller programs and made an immediate impact. To me though pearl made his with the style the team played with and early success. Butch has made all his noise on the recruiting trail. Of course he hasn't had a chance to make it any other way yet. I don't remember pearl having a bunch of success recruiting until several years into his tenure. And even then a lot of those guys didn't pan out. Guys like ramar smith and hopson never really lived up to the hype. In fact, most of the best players of his tenure were recruited by Peterson. Lofton, jujun smith. Who recruited wheezy(chism)? I think he was already on his way in as well...but maybe pearl did get him.

Last edited:
I never really post but came back to say nice one! I hope he pans out the same. I'm ready to see what he puts on the field. :good!:

Bruce Pearl has better BBQs IMO

But seriously I agree with you. Butch has brought a lot excitement so far hopefully he can win like Pearl too.

i hope not that would mean he will lie about recruiting and have bbq's at his house and then lie some more and tell folks not to tell on him and etc... yes bruce pearl won a lot which is great but he was a liar. so i hope to goodness butch aint no bruce pearl.

Reactions: 1 person
Nah.. Bruce never said we were smart enough to know he can't get the job done his first year(when getting the job done means breaking .500 in the sec). I was a fan until this stupid remark. I don't recall pearl saying anything like that, it looks as though we have a generic Rich Rod. He thinks he can win with offense, and have no defense in the sec? But infact he doesn't even believe in his own Nhhuo.. Recruits are gonna start decommitting by the S.Carolina game. I hope I'm wrong, but probably not..

If anyone has anything to say about these statements, post his head to head & upset record!

I actually like your analogy...and never thought about it like that.

Nah.. Bruce never said we were smart enough to know he can't get the job done his first year(when getting the job done means breaking .500 in the sec). I was a fan until this stupid remark. I don't recall pearl saying anything like that, it looks as though we have a generic Rich Rod. He thinks he can win with offense, and have no defense in the sec? But infact he doesn't even believe in his own Nhhuo.. Recruits are gonna start decommitting by the S.Carolina game. I hope I'm wrong, but probably not..

If anyone has anything to say about these statements, post his head to head & upset record!

Eye think Fade Route hacked Cycpops's VN account

Just telling it how I see it.. I was "full butch", but it seems like he has some doubt in his own plan.. How many Dt's does he have committed in a Dt league? And all Bs aside, we have a good D-line & O-line THIS YEAR & he has no hope of having a good season? Hard to have faith at this point!

Uhhhhhh........wtf?

Just telling it how I see it.. I was "full butch", but it seems like he has some doubt in his own plan.. How many Dt's does he have committed in a Dt league? And all Bs aside, we have a good D-line & O-line THIS YEAR & he has no hope of having a good season? Hard to have faith at this point!

You been drinkin'?

Pearl recruited with duct tape and bailing wire. It was his style of play that won games.

Jones has recruited off the chain. We'll see how his style translates to the SEC.

Well one thing to consider is the upgrade in talent he is able to get and is currently reeling in at UT. CBJ never had this luxury at Central Michigan or Cincy and was able to win in the MAC and Big East. With that being said the guy has to get it done on the field. The good news is he is already getting the Jimmys and Joes to compete in this league and is reaching out to the fans with social media unlike Dooley . He has done everything right so far and I believe the wins will follow shortly.

Reactions: 2 people
If you have something to say about my statement's, please add arguments.. Not, "you drunk"? nonsense.

VN Store

Back