Butch Jones in ESPNs top In_Game Coaches

The following sources, although dated, provide a good comparative analysis of the offensive schemes and, thus, personnel packages and specific skill-sets favored by former Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly and, more importantly, our new coach, Butch Jones:

The Difference Between Butch Jones and Brian Kelly: Part 1 - Down The Drive

The Difference Between Butch Jones and Brian Kelly: Part 2 - Down The Drive

The Difference Between Butch Jones and Brian Kelly: Part 3 - Down The Drive

I enjoyed reading this. Definitely a lot of insight into the type of offense we will see this fall.

Agree, and I didn't say it did. It was just an odd game looking back. The talent disparity wasn't big enough to account for a 20 point loss.

Yes it was. There is more talent year in and year out on this UT team than people realize. Look at how crappy these last few years have been and look at our classes. They haven't been horrible. This is still one of the powerhouse programs in all of college football.

Agree, and I didn't say it did. It was just an odd game looking back. The talent disparity wasn't big enough to account for a 20 point loss.

its bad when a well coached game looks odd on a coach's resume. Hunter's injury took the life out of the team. i wonder if there would have been more games like the Cincy game, had that not of happened.

If CBJs current recruiting is the trend over the next several years... And if CBJ is a top 10 in game coach... Then we are going to have a lot to be happy about.

Yes it was. There is more talent year in and year out on this UT team than people realize. Look at how crappy these last few years have been and look at our classes. They haven't been horrible. This is still one of the powerhouse programs in all of college football.

In my opinion, Butch's track record is, in this respect, most beneficial to our cause. He is accustomed to taking diamond-in-the-rough prospects and maximizing the last scintilla of latent talent which they possess. Those same strategies and methodologies will be even more effective now that he has the platform and resources of the University of Tennessee at his disposal. I am convinced that we will have far fewer four- and five-star "busts" under his regime than we have seen in recent years.

Reactions: 1 person

I go back to the few times that we stopped them on 4th and short. That came down to having the bigger, faster, stronger players. Tennessee's line > Cincinnati's line. Also, that was literally like the only game where Justin and Da'rick were on the same page as far as productivity goes. We had some great breaks go our way. Kind of unfortunate that we didn't see more of that.

I go back to the few times that we stopped them on 4th and short. That came down to having the bigger, faster, stronger players. Tennessee's line > Cincinnati's line. Also, that was literally like the only game where Justin and Da'rick were on the same page as far as productivity goes. We had some great breaks go our way. Kind of unfortunate that we didn't see more of that.

In another thread, 1972 Grad made some excellent points which have direct bearing on what you just said. Given the fact that I agree with his conclusions, I will quote him verbatim:

"Then we go into year two of Dooley with his players becoming sophomores, and basically the same coaching staff. After the second game against Cincinnati, I was convinced that we were on the right track. That turned out to be the ONLY game that Dooley coached with a cohesive, competent staff on both sides of the ball, and all of his weapons healthy. When Hunter went down in the next game against Florida, the team went into shock and never recovered. Then Bray goes down later, and of course Janzen Jackson had already been dismissed, and Herman Lathers was out for the year.

By the second half of the season, Dooley had lost arguably his best 2 defenders (Jackson and Lathers), and his best 2 offensive players (Bray and Hunter). Of course 2 highly ranked running backs (Brown and Oku), who were brought in by Kiffin, decided to leave before that second season started. After running the gauntlet against several top teams while being shorthanded, the team seemed shell shocked, and they gave up at the end of the year.

Then staff defections, for whatever reason, forced a complete rebooting of the team, which proved Dooley's undoing for season 3. Maybe the defections were all Dooley's fault. Maybe the staff saw the handwriting on the wall due to a lack of depth of talent, and decided to move on. Maybe it was a dysfunctional football family with a couple of stars, who were necessary for success, and they couldn't be pushed because they knew the coaches had nobody to replace them with. It may be that the inmates ran the asylum into the ground. Time to move on. We will overcome this period."

For all of the points that Dooley can be legitimately criticized for, he did have an inordinately bad run of luck in terms of losses to key personnel and exceedingly high staff turnover.

Reactions: 4 people
So what happened in 2011 when Dooley cleaned his clock? I can't figure that game out in retrospect.

I will say this...

Dooley isn't/wasn't a bad coach, he just had some really REALLY bad luck his first two years. And his third he was stuck with Sal the worst DC in the history of football.

Hunter/Bray getting hurt
Randolph(2nd best player on the defense) IMO getting hurt
Rogers and jackson getting kicked off the team
Lathers getting hurt
Having the worst DC in the history of football in 2012
12 men on the field(which is his asst. fault)
^ btw Alabama had 2 of those calls in one of their games 3 years ago.

Etc etc

But we have CBJ now and I'm happy

Last edited:
Nice to see bUTch mentioned, but Millen isn't exactly a Rhodes Scholar. I hope he talks better FB than he manages it!!

I will say this...

Dooley isn't/wasn't a bad coach, he just had some really REALLY bad luck his first two years. And his third he was stuck with Sal the worst DC in the history of football.

Hunter/Bray getting hurt
Randolph(2nd best player on the defense) IMO getting hurt
Rogers and jackson getting kicked off the team
Lathers getting hurt
Having the worst DC in the history of football in 2012
12 men on the field(which is his asst. fault)
^ btw Alabama had 2 of those calls in one of their games 3 years ago.

Etc etc

But we have CBJ now and I'm happy

Having the worst DC in history, and 13 men on the field is Dooleys fault. He was at the top, but now Butch is.

VN Store

Back