Bye Week Question - Favorite Non-Household name Vol of all time?

Who is your favorite Vol that anyone outside of Tennessee fandom would likely not know who they were?

Mine? easy…Raynoch Thompson. That guy seemed to be just everywhere while in orange and his name is probably what has stuck with me the most for some reason. Didn’t work out for him the pros too well but he was a great college player for us.
I have two that I think should be mentioned:

Eric Westmoreland (way underrated). Never saw him out of position. Solid tackler. Excellent in pass coverage. Didn't hit like Raynoch, but played his position as well as any Vol ever has. Second team All-SEC and 4 year pro.

Shawn Bryson. Was good enough to start for most any team in the country as a featured back. As the #4 RB, led the '98 team in yds/carry at 9.5 and had 19 receptions for 167 yds. The MAN played his roll as a blocking back extremely well. Lewis, Henry nor Stephens would have racked up the yds. they did in '98 without Bryson. A real team player who I think is greatly under-appreciated. Played 7 yrs. in the NFL.

I'm perplexed how an All American can be considered a "non-household name." Raynoch Thompson, Travis Stephens, Carl Pickens, Deon Grant have been mentioned on this thread. Likewise, not sure one can be a "non-household name" when one played a significant role on the BCS Nat'l Champ team that got an incredible amount of nationwide publicity at the time. Cedrick Wilson, Will Overstreet for instance have been mentioned here.

Time fades memories, but these guys were the best of the best at the time.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I'm perplexed how an All American can be considered a "non-household name." Raynoch Thompson, Travis Stephens, Carl Pickens, Deon Grant have been mentioned on this thread. Likewise, not sure one can be a "non-household name" when one played a significant role on the BCS Nat'l Champ team that got an incredible amount of nationwide publicity at the time. Cedrick Wilson, Will Overstreet for instance have been mentioned here.

Time fades memories, but these guys were the best of the best at the time.
I agree, but I don't feel like many of these guys get mentioned enough.

I mean Bobby Majors, Dale Jones, Travis Stephens, Jauan Jennings, Andy Kelly, Raynoch Thompson and Shawn Bryson are household names among Tennessee fans.

And Cafego I believe was a Heisman Runner Up,

VN Store

Back