Bye Week Question - Favorite Non-Household name Vol of all time?

There were a lot of semi-forgotten or unsung players over the years.

Not a lot of people talk about Charlie Garner as being one of our best all time backs. I think the was probably the most talented we ever had.

Harry Galbreath started every game for 4 years at UT and played about a decade in the NFL.

Mychael Rivera, I believe, had the most yardage of any tight end in UT history.

Reactions: me_grag53
I have two that I think should be mentioned:

Eric Westmoreland (way underrated). Never saw him out of position. Solid tackler. Excellent in pass coverage. Didn't hit like Raynoch, but played his position as well as any Vol ever has. Second team All-SEC and 4 year pro.

Shawn Bryson. Was good enough to start for most any team in the country as a featured back. As the #4 RB, led the '98 team in yds/carry at 9.5 and had 19 receptions for 167 yds. The MAN played his roll as a blocking back extremely well. Lewis, Henry nor Stephens would have racked up the yds. they did in '98 without Bryson. A real team player who I think is greatly under-appreciated. Played 7 yrs. in the NFL.
Excellent post!

Who is your favorite Vol that anyone outside of Tennessee fandom would likely not know who they were?

Mine? easy…Raynoch Thompson. That guy seemed to be just everywhere while in orange and his name is probably what has stuck with me the most for some reason. Didn’t work out for him the pros too well but he was a great college player for us.
Paul Bain

Who is your favorite Vol that anyone outside of Tennessee fandom would likely not know who they were?

Mine? easy…Raynoch Thompson. That guy seemed to be just everywhere while in orange and his name is probably what has stuck with me the most for some reason. Didn’t work out for him the pros too well but he was a great college player for us.
Hal Wantland , captain of the 65 team that overcame the deaths of 3 coaches the Monday after the Alabama game to finish 8-1-2 and #7 in the country. The Al Wilson of the 60s.

Lee Otis Burton

He was diagnosed with some sort of blood disease and had to stop playing football or he would have been mentioned along with Reggie White as one of our all time great D linemen.

He was my suite-mate in North Carrick one summer quarter. Dogs were prohibited, but he had one in his room. Super guy.
What year was this? Vaguely remember the name.

I'm going to cheat a little and say Terry McDaniel. Despite having a very good pro career he still seems to have a lot of that "Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that guy!" about him.
Remember him well. I worked at the "T-Club" and saw him all the time. Very funny guy. He loved Donkey Kong on those machines.

VN Store

Back