'25 CA QB Madden Iamaleava (UCLA commit)

They need to take two QBs in the 2025 class. There's been some thought that Madden would be QB #2 in the class, but he might be playing himself into being the #1 option for several good programs. It's really hard to land two top QBs in the same class in this new NIL era.
And if you wanna land Curtis in 26, that might make it even tougher.

And if you wanna land Curtis in 26, that might make it even tougher.
While it’s important to look ahead and plan accordingly, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush when it comes to recruiting.

Regardless, if you take 2 QBs in 25, one will eventually transfer so there won’t actually be any log jam affecting Curtis outside of maybe his Fr. year if that were the case.

While it’s important to look ahead and plan accordingly, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush when it comes to recruiting.

Regardless, if you take 2 QBs in 25, one will eventually transfer so there won’t actually be any log jam affecting Curtis outside of maybe his Fr. year if that were the case.
Fair points.

This staff said they had NO PLANS to redshirt Nico. Then they turn around and say " on 2nd thought".

I'm not sure they even have a clear strategy to the QB room.
So they very well make take a transfer QB and a HS recruit in 2025

This staff said they had NO PLANS to redshirt Nico. Then they turn around and say " on 2nd thought".

I really truly don't think this year turned out like the staff thought. Im sure they thought that Nico would get garbage time in more games than he did. Then, once the opportunity came to redshirt, you say "sure, why not?" It literally impacts nothing at this point except gives the kid an extra year IF he ever needs it.

And maybe he won't. Maybe he plays two years is an absolute stud and gets drafted #1 overall to the Titans when Levis sucks.

Or maybe he gets hurt and needs a year. Or maybe he just has a great career here. Either way, giving him an extra year with no pressure and allowing him to focus on growth, health, and development was taking care of him as a person and player. Would I love to see him play against Vanderbilt and in the bowl? Sure. But I do understand the coaches' decision in light of the way the season actually unfolded.

Last edited:
I really truly don't think this year turned out like the staff thought. Im sure they thought that Nico would get garbage time in more games than he did. Then, once the opportunity came to redshirt, you say "sure, why not?" It literally impacts nothing at this point except gives the kid an extra year IF he ever needs it.
Season was mismanaged before the first game when we sat idle in the portal on QB play. Milton was fools gold from the Clemson game and the rest is history.

Season was mismanaged before the first game when we sat idle in the portal on QB play. Milton was fools gold from the Clemson game and the rest is history.
I can agree with that. I don't think any universe in which your starter is a inconsistent head case, and your back up is a true freshman (i don't care how talented he is) is a risky situation. We needed another option, and swung for several. We just didn't hit on any. Milton did just good enough to make any transfer QB think they wouldn't get the nod here. This season would have been much different with say...Sam Hartman. But that didn't happen. I do think that Heup pursues a QB in the portal this year.

I can agree with that. I don't think any universe in which your starter is a inconsistent head case, and your back up is a true freshman (i don't care how talented he is) is a risky situation. We needed another option, and swung for several. We just didn't hit on any. Milton did just good enough to make any transfer QB think they wouldn't get the nod here. This season would have been much different with say...Sam Hartman. But that didn't happen. I do think that Heup pursues a QB in the portal this year.
Hell we didn’t even need someone of Hartman’s level. Even a guy like Mertz would’ve at least helped the offense move at a more consistent pace. My one worry is that we didn’t bring in a transfer QB because we promised Joe it was his team this year.

Loyalty to players is always important, but winning games, and the important ones at that, is what they make millions of dollars annually to do. Huepel has to be willing to play the bad guy sometimes and make changes when necessary.

I think back to the drive after Joe tweaked his knee early in the season. Nico was preparing to come in and Joe basically went to the huddle and sent him back. I truly think Joe was scared of it being a replay of Hooker taking over for him and forcing Heupel’s hand.

The whole QB situation raises a little cause for concern, but a good year from Nico next year will go a long way to dismissing those concerns.

And maybe he won't. Maybe he plays two years is an absolute stud and gets drafted #1 overall to the Titans when Levis sucks.

Or maybe he gets hurt and needs a year. Or maybe he just has a great career here. Either way, giving him an extra year with no pressure and allowing him to focus on growth, health, and development was taking care of him as a person and player. Would I love to see him play against Vanderbilt and in the bowl? Sure. But I do understand the coaches' decision in light of the way the season actually unfolded.
Yep. The redshirt plan changed after we didn’t get him in against Austin Peay, IMO.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

Let’s be clear: Iamaleava is no longer just Nico’s little brother who’s also trying to make his way at quarterback. The 2025 four-star from Downey (Calif.) Warren has compiled a phenomenal junior season and his team is still in the playoffs. Iamaleava has completed more than 60% of his passes for 3,462 yards with 42 touchdowns and four interceptions.

Iamaleava is a tremendous playmaker and Colorado State four-star receiver commit
Jordan Ross was his favorite target, but what also stands out about Iamaleava is his positivity and leadership capabilities. The four-star has Washington and others involved, but after a season like this every team in the country should be coming for the next Iamaleava quarterback.

They weren’t planning on RS him. TN offensive struggles in the early crap games didn’t allow him to play. His family actually preferred him to RS. This coming from a reliable caller to radio shows in Knoxville who lives 10 minutes from Nico’s High School

Maybe with Nico coming in who they could get they didn’t feel like was far and away better than Milton? Also have to think that potential made Heupel think he could eventually fix Milton also.

“Im sure they thought that Nico would get garbage time in more games than he did”.

Bingo. And he didn’t so that’s why he’s getting a redshirt

I have posted this In a different thread….

I think they didn’t plan to redshirt until Nico got hurt.

He was out of practice and couldn’t play during the stretch where you would have gotten him that experience. I truly believe he was hurt as my son is 90% sure he saw him walking across campus with soft brace on.

I believe they were going to try to get him in 6-7 games for sure but Joe struggled and Nico wasn’t able to practice/play and then it became no reason to burn his redshirt just to play in one extra terrible loss game.

I would love for Madden to come here. But if Nico ends up being Special as we all hope he does... Then there is something to not wanting to follow that and be compared to him. But instead go elsewhere and make a name for himself.

Plus I feel like we are all in on GMac... But if Mac goes to Bama.. I really like the possibility of Madden coming here. Nico and their prior coach both said Madden is further along than Nico was at that age, and believe Madden potential is sky high.

I personally would prefer Madden over GMac. I think the level of comp he plays is higher than mid TN, plus being able to go pull high rated guys out of CA is a big deal. Don't get me wrong gotta get the guys you want from your state.

But we were at our best when we pulled high rated kids out of west coast.

I would love for Madden to come here. But if Nico ends up being Special as we all hope he does... Then there is something to not wanting to follow that and be compared to him. But instead go elsewhere and make a name for himself.

Plus I feel like we are all in on GMac... But if Mac goes to Bama.. I really like the possibility of Madden coming here. Nico and their prior coach both said Madden is further along than Nico was at that age, and believe Madden potential is sky high.

I personally would prefer Madden over GMac. I think the level of comp he plays is higher than mid TN, plus being able to go pull high rated guys out of CA is a big deal. Don't get me wrong gotta get the guys you want from your state.

But we were at our best when we pulled high rated kids out of west coast.
If both Madden and GMAC came here at same time, I see no risk for Madden if he is better than GMAC especially if Nico balls out. Why because if Nico balls out and Madden is better, CJH will be chomping at bit for more Iamaleava on the field.

Competition would be awesome even knowing one would transfer.

So to confirm, some of y’all have talked yourselves into wanting Madden - whose best offer besides UT is AUB or maybe Washington and currently ranked 230th best prospect over GMac who is a top 15 ranked player in the country from the Volunteer State that arguably the greatest coach college football has ever seen has made his #1 target.

I’m not even saying anyone is wrong for this take. But these are wild times.

VN Store

Back