Can Jones Stabilize UT Football?

Majors came in after the 1976 season. It took him about 11 seasons before could win consistently. From 1977 - 1988, he had some winning seasons but then followed it up with a losing season, so the program was not a consistent winner. Then in 1989, the program began to win on a regular basis.

My point is that it may take years before we can build this program to get it winning year in and year out.....

Lets be patient....

Majors came in after the 1976 season. It took him about 11 seasons before could win consistently. From 1977 - 1988, he had some winning seasons but then followed it up with a losing season, so the program was not a consistent winner. Then in 1989, the program began to win on a regular basis.

My point is that it may take years before we can build this program to get it winning year in and year out.....

Lets be patient....
People were more patient with Majors because of who he is.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

For the first time in this millennium, the fan base seems to be swimming in the same direction. For the first time in this millennium, folks are asking "when" instead of "if." The UT football program seems to be stabilized already. GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 8 people
Everyone's on board in he offseason. Wait until we lose a couple of games.....the neanderthals will start calling for his head along with Hart's. just comes with the territory. But that's what worries me when I see 9-3 predictions on this board - lots of enthusiasm, but no objectivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Lets be patient....

Majors only had one losing season after 1980, and it was sandwiched around a 10 win season and an 11 win season. Though there were some ups and downs, it was clear from the beginning which direction the program was headed. His predecessor, Bill Battle, had a very good record overall, but it was also very clear the way the program was headed then too, downward. The difference was in recruiting. Battle went after the best players in the country but didn't land them. When he had the best players (left over from Dickey), he won.

What Jones is doing in recruiting now makes it inevitable that he will win and win big. The only thing that could prevent it is some off the field obstacles, but I really don't see that happening either.

Reactions: 2 people
With the way recruiting has improved in the few months he has been on the job I don't see why not. Butch gets it if you recruit good players with good character then you will build faster. Now Dooley got some good players some that will help this season, but when half the players transfer out for one thing or another and you have to always replace someone then that slows the progression down. I see less turnover with Butch unless its to go to the NFL, because he is better st player evaluation than Dooley and Kiffen and also better player development, and staff stability for a change are the three reasons why I think Butch will not only stabilize but bring us back to glory.

With the way recruiting has improved in the few months he has been on the job I don't see why not. Butch gets it if you recruit good players with good character then you will build faster. Now Dooley got some good players some that will help this season, but when half the players transfer out for one thing or another and you have to always replace someone then that slows the progression down. I see less turnover with Butch unless its to go to the NFL, because he is better st player evaluation than Dooley and Kiffen and also better player development, and staff stability for a change are the three reasons why I think Butch will not only stabilize but bring us back to glory.

roster turnover happens as coaches leave. we have had constant staff changes since end of 2007 season. right now, the biggest thing the program needs is 5-6 years of staff stability. coaches continue to change, players will continue to leave IMO

yeah, he can and i think he will.

the problem with dooley was tennessee never got any better. people will be patient if they see progress.

roster turnover happens as coaches leave. we have had constant staff changes since end of 2007 season. right now, the biggest thing the program needs is 5-6 years of staff stability. coaches continue to change, players will continue to leave IMO

Agreed. At least this staff seems to all get along since they have worked together forever.

Everyone's on board in he offseason. Wait until we lose a couple of games.....the neanderthals will start calling for his head along with Hart's. just comes with the territory. But that's what worries me when I see 9-3 predictions on this board - lots of enthusiasm, but no objectivity.

You have nailed and it will happen. After a couple of losses they will be screaming for His head But all boards have these type posters.

After 4 head coaches in 5 seasons, this had better work. Otherwise, we are looking at the long nuclear winter in orangeville.

Johnny Majors never really turned around much at Tennessee. Certainly never coming close to the magical 1976 season at Pitt. Perhaps not having Jackie Sherrill to run things may have been a contributing factor in the long haul.

No. It's impossible. The state of Tennessee doesn't produce enough talent. Nick Saban's baby legs. Butt chugging. Mark Richts tiny thumbs. Worley's bama bangs. Soft defense. Brett Beilama's forehead. Egg shell foam mattress..

yeah, he can and i think he will.

the problem with dooley was tennessee never got any better. people will be patient if they see progress.

As a matter of fact we got worse. 4 wins and a blowout loss to pansybilt is worse than 5 wins and a bad loss to Kentucky.... and another year of further imbedding a losing culture and weakening the Vol brand.

CBJ has done everything right SO FAR .... stabilization has already begun. Visible progress on the field will indeed be the key.

The fish rots from the head first!

We took care of that rotten fish head that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with KY, Mizzou, SC, NC, GA, almost Troy and lets not talk about that FL game collapse last year.

Dooley, and Sal were among the worst. Chaney was Jeckyl and Hyde with predictability and bad risk taking particularly on 3rd/4th and short. I don't even know if we even had a special teams coach last year!

O-line and running backs were the only well coached players.

It is easy to say coaching is good for 1-2 close wins, it might be worth 3-4 in comparision to last year.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact we got worse. 4 wins and a blowout loss to pansybilt is worse than 5 wins and a bad loss to Kentucky.... and another year of further imbedding a losing culture and weakening the Vol brand.

CBJ has done everything right SO FAR .... stabilization has already begun. Visible progress on the field will indeed be the key.

What bothers me more is that most tn fans didn't see it or the signs that cdd was a terrible coach.. I hope cbj is better because I can't take another 3 years of excuses if this staff displays many of the same tendencies in games. Before anyone says anything I'm not saying they will.

Reactions: 1 person
What bothers me more is that most tn fans didn't see it or the signs that cdd was a terrible coach.. I hope cbj is better because I can't take another 3 years of excuses if this staff displays many of the same tendencies in games. Before anyone says anything I'm not saying they will.

Look what happened after Dooley left LA Tech...10 or 11 wins.

Look at CBJ resume at Cincy...three out of four years with over 9 wins, including big upsets to Louisville and others.

VN Store

Back