Can Jones Stabilize UT Football?

Everyone's on board in he offseason. Wait until we lose a couple of games.....the neanderthals will start calling for his head along with Hart's. just comes with the territory. But that's what worries me when I see 9-3 predictions on this board - lots of enthusiasm, but no objectivity.

Fade, I'm thinking 7 wins and with an outside shot at 8. 9-3 is possible but not probable. If we win only 5 games but we are competing in every loss until the end without a trace of giving up, then I'll be fine.

CBJ will make his mistakes this year (anybody watch Bama at home against LSU in 2011? Saban looked like a deer in the headlights at the end of that game) but, overall, I expect him to put a competitive team on the field for each and every game with a good game plan and with proper adjustments at halftime.

Bottom line: yes, I expect a lot out of this team this year but there's no way I turn on CBJ after 1 or 2 seasons. The guy's track record before UT and his current status are too strong to ignore.

Reactions: 1 person
Majors only had one losing season after 1980, and it was sandwiched around a 10 win season and an 11 win season. Though there were some ups and downs, it was clear from the beginning which direction the program was headed. His predecessor, Bill Battle, had a very good record overall, but it was also very clear the way the program was headed then too, downward. The difference was in recruiting. Battle went after the best players in the country but didn't land them. When he had the best players (left over from Dickey), he won.

What Jones is doing in recruiting now makes it inevitable that he will win and win big. The only thing that could prevent it is some off the field obstacles, but I really don't see that happening either.

Gawd....I was on campus for two of the Battle years. I remember the signs on Cumberland...."You can't win the war until you lose the Battle". One of the reasons I'm more patient than some now, I've seen some bad UT football.

I think Butch gets it done, but once again' patience will be required. 6 to 7 wins each of the next two years. 2015 I expect big things.

After 4 head coaches in 5 seasons, this had better work. Otherwise, we are looking at the long nuclear winter in orangeville.

Johnny Majors never really turned around much at Tennessee. Certainly never coming close to the magical 1976 season at Pitt. Perhaps not having Jackie Sherrill to run things may have been a contributing factor in the long haul.

So Jackie Sherrill won the championship at Pitt!...Roll Tide historians are always out there...slugging it out in the trenches!...gently correcting the fools who think Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon...but Leif Ericson and the Vikings had already been there!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No. It's impossible. The state of Tennessee doesn't produce enough talent. Nick Saban's baby legs. Butt chugging. Mark Richts tiny thumbs. Worley's bama bangs. Soft defense. Brett Beilama's forehead. Egg shell foam mattress..

Good Lord what the hell did you smoke?

defibrillator.jpg

After 4 head coaches in 5 seasons, this had better work. Otherwise, we are looking at the long nuclear winter in orangeville.

Johnny Majors never really turned around much at Tennessee. Certainly never coming close to the magical 1976 season at Pitt. Perhaps not having Jackie Sherrill to run things may have been a contributing factor in the long haul.

I would venture a wild guess that conributing factors may have been: Limit in # of scholorships post PITT years & depth of PA talent that was not available in TN. Majors brought us back into the National spotlight. In those days we were HAPPY to have CJM but of course there were no boards like this for trolls.:hi:

Everyone's on board in he offseason. Wait until we lose a couple of games.....the neanderthals will start calling for his head along with Hart's. just comes with the territory. But that's what worries me when I see 9-3 predictions on this board - lots of enthusiasm, but no objectivity.

No OBJECTIVITY, why is it only certain UT fans ignore that every year at least one if not two or three teams rise from the ashes and have a 8,9, or 10 win season after a losing one. Lets face it we have 6 games that we should win. If Butch gets the boys to play to their potential we can win one if not both home games against UGA and USCjr. Neither of them blew us out last year. More times than not we beat ourselves in several of those close games. We had scheme problems that transferred to a loss in confidence.

No OBJECTIVITY, why is it only certain UT fans ignore that every year at least one if not two or three teams rise from the ashes and have a 8,9, or 10 win season after a losing one. Lets face it we have 6 games that we should win. If Butch gets the boys to play to their potential we can win one if not both home games against UGA and USCjr. Neither of them blew us out last year. More times than not we beat ourselves in several of those close games. We had scheme problems that transferred to a loss in confidence.
We also have a new qb and lost 3 NFL wide receivers.

Reactions: 1 person

Jackie Sherill did a grest job at Pitt, having Major's recruits but not so well at A&M without cheating...

Guess that comes natural with the bama guys :)

1977 Pittsburgh 9–2–1 W Gator 7 8
1978 Pittsburgh 8–4 L Tangerine
1979 Pittsburgh 11–1 W Fiesta 6 7
1980 Pittsburgh 11–1 W Gator 2 2
1981 Pittsburgh 11–1 W Sugar 2 4
Pittsburgh: 50–9–1
Texas A&M Aggies (Southwest Conference) (1982–1988)
1982 Texas A&M 5–6 3–5 T–6th
1983 Texas A&M 5–5–1 4–3–1 T–3rd
1984 Texas A&M 6–5 3–5 7th
1985 Texas A&M 10–2 7–1 1st W Cotton 6 6
1986 Texas A&M 9–3 7–1 1st L Cotton 12 13
1987 Texas A&M 10–2 6–1 1st W Cotton 9 10
1988 Texas A&M 7–5 6–1 2nd
Texas A&M: 52–28–1 36–17–1

Jackie Sherill did a grest job at Pitt, having Major's recruits but not so well at A&M without cheating...

Guess that comes natural with the bama guys :)

1977 Pittsburgh 9–2–1 W Gator 7 8
1978 Pittsburgh 8–4 L Tangerine
1979 Pittsburgh 11–1 W Fiesta 6 7
1980 Pittsburgh 11–1 W Gator 2 2
1981 Pittsburgh 11–1 W Sugar 2 4
Pittsburgh: 50–9–1

And Johnny's record at Pitt: 45-45-1.

Puts me in mind of an Alabama boy being the force behind another Tennessee head coach through the 90's. Name that coach?

Majors came in after the 1976 season. It took him about 11 seasons before could win consistently. From 1977 - 1988, he had some winning seasons but then followed it up with a losing season, so the program was not a consistent winner. Then in 1989, the program began to win on a regular basis.

My point is that it may take years before we can build this program to get it winning year in and year out.....

Lets be patient....

CBJ will get three years - maybe a 4th depending on results.

CBJ will get three years - maybe a 4th depending on results.

I'm afraid he might end up being the guy that stabilizes things but doesn't last. I hope he wins enough in years 2 and 3 to keep the jackals at bay.

As long as we're patient, he can do some good things at UT. The guy has won everywhere else he's been at, what's to think he couldn't do it at UT?

A completely useless stat given that he rebuilt the program, won a national title, left for 15+ years and walked back into another rebuild.

That was some rebuild without Jackie Sherrill (1993-1996)
3-8
3-8
2-9
4-7

Makes you wonder why Dooley only got three years?

VN Store

Back