Can The Vols Cover 6 TDs vs Mocs?

We could but I don’t think we will. I expect Heupel to try and get the subs in before the middle of the third. Our second and third stringers need as many game speed reps as possible and we will not get many opportunities with NC State and especially at Oklahoma. Got to be be prepared for the inevitable injuries once we get into the heart of the schedule.
I do expect rapid scoring early though as I think we will want to get our rhythm going and get in sync for the tempo. I think Nico will be able to process rapidly like Hendon did.

They can, but in the second half if they are up by 42, will we play all our third string and give up a TD or FG? It’s just really when we let our foot off the gas.
And I think Heup will want to try a lot of different personnel in the secondary to see just who we have that is a gamer. Practice can’t tell you everything

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When has Heupel ever rested starters early? When has Heupel ever taken his foot off the gas to "rest starters?" I can't recall much of that, especially with easy non-con games. Coach Heupel loves to ball. He gonna ball big in this one.
You obviously didnt watch the 22 season. Hendon and starters where out by third quarter quite often. Milton saw snaps most games. The bench got fully cleared 3 games. Most games we were up you didnt see Hooker in the 4th quarter, in those bench clearings he came out early 3rd quarter.

22 there was a lot of confidence in our depth. Last year that was not so much the case because they didnt wanna burn Nicos redshirt and 2/3 being Milton/Jackson is a lot more confidence inspiring than Moore/Nico. As much as we 'struggled' on offense. Its hilarious to say that about an SEC offense that averaged 31 points a game but that was the perception after 46 a game in 22. As am aside our defense improved from giving up 22 to 20 a game but our secondary sucked even though the pass defense improved much more than the run defense.

Perception is a weird thing.

Sending out a challenge over covering a 42 point spread to another instate school is really cold blooded. I feel bad for the Mocs. But yes, UT will cover.

You obviously didnt watch the 22 season. Hendon and starters where out by third quarter quite often. Milton saw snaps most games. The bench got fully cleared 3 games. Most games we were up you didnt see Hooker in the 4th quarter, in those bench clearings he came out early 3rd quarter.

22 there was a lot of confidence in our depth. Last year that was not so much the case because they didnt wanna burn Nicos redshirt and 2/3 being Milton/Jackson is a lot more confidence inspiring than Moore/Nico. As much as we 'struggled' on offense. Its hilarious to say that about an SEC offense that averaged 31 points a game but that was the perception after 46 a game in 22. As am aside our defense improved from giving up 22 to 20 a game but our secondary sucked even though the pass defense improved much more than the run defense.

Perception is a weird thing.

Alright now, y'all got me, I was mistaken about when the starters were getting pulled in blowouts. I've never watched Tennessee play. I am wrong. Ok.

I should have never said anything about pulling starters, because whether it was with starters or benchies, UT was putting 40-50 points on teams and didn't let off the gas until it the clock said 00. They will cover 6 touchdowns against Chattanooga -- unless Heupel's doing an in-state team a solid. Maybe he eases up because of that, I couldn't say. But if Tennessee wants to cover 6 TDs then they can and will.

I am sure they can, and I expect they can do it playing a number of new players late in the game to gain some experience for them.

Just get through the game healthy and get ready for N.C.State could care less about winning by 6 touchdowns over a FCS team.

Last edited:
8th ranked FCS. Hmmmmm? My alma mater is expected to have a big season. A little torn here. But, Vols 49, Mocs 13

If not, it probably means very sloppy play. Lots of vanilla play calling, false starts, holding, sacks, fumbles and interceptions.

If the Vols are sloppy past the first quarter in this one and it last throughout the game, we should all be very upset and concerned.

I just don't see the above happening with this coaching staff. Heup is all business, while at the same time making it fun for the players and fans and playing loose.

A previous coach from the past 15 plus years, then yes. This wouldn't be a squeaker necessarily, but would probably have been extremely sloppy. Again, I just don't see this with the current staff.

The only other reason they don't cover 6 TDs is they get on them extremely early and often and Heup is playing walkons and water boys in the second half. That would be the only justifiable reason.....

The spread will be more than 36. Probably 43. Tennessee will likely play it pretty Vanilla, have the big game with ncst next week. Won't show much, try to run the ball and throw it where we expect them to. Saving a lot of the plays for Ncst and Okla. Vols 48-13.

Alright now, y'all got me, I was mistaken about when the starters were getting pulled in blowouts. I've never watched Tennessee play. I am wrong. Ok.

I should have never said anything about pulling starters, because whether it was with starters or benchies, UT was putting 40-50 points on teams and didn't let off the gas until it the clock said 00. They will cover 6 touchdowns against Chattanooga -- unless Heupel's doing an in-state team a solid. Maybe he eases up because of that, I couldn't say. But if Tennessee wants to cover 6 TDs then they can and will.
UTC is not gonna be as weak as some think. They were a playoff team last year and expected to be better this year. We will beat them handily and 40 points could happen but I think it's a bit much to ask we will be playing pure vanilla offense (as Vanilla as CJH gets) and looking to come out of the game as healthy as possible. I think after the first score we start clearing the bench. We don't gain anything beating our little brothers into the dirt and getting starters hurt. Maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for the mocs being from Chatt and being an antibully type of guy..

Vols by Fiddy just doesn't do it for this one. We will hang 70+ on the Mocs.

Anyone remember the last game?

January 1, 2024 Tennessee vs Iowa (7th ranked defense in the NATION) 35-0

Nico Iamaleava 12/19 151 yds 1 TD 0 INT 15 carries 27 yards 3 TDs

Can we cover 42 Points??

Yes
, provided we neutralize the Mocs QB. If our Defensive front line constantly puts pressure on their QB, who probably will be Artopoeus, and he doesn't have target practice with our newly untested secondary, we will cover, as Nico and company are primed to run and gun for 4 quarters of straight ahead football to open the season. Artopoeus had decent stats last Fall and even though they were against lesser opponents, the kid obviously knows how to throw the ball.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's 2024 football season kicks off on Aug. 31 at Tennessee, and the Times Free Press is taking a positional look at UTC's roster.

First up are the quarterbacks.

Who's back: Chase Artopoeus (R-Sr., 6-2, 208; 10 starts, 2,672 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, seven interceptions in 2023. Transferred in from UCLA); Luke Schomburg (R-So., 6-3, 194; seven games, three starts, 517 passing yards, two touchdowns, three interceptions); Matthew Clemmer (R-Fr., 6-4, 217; one game).

I think they can. But don’t think they will. Reason is, get a comfortable lead early, rest the starters and stay injury free for NC State the week after.
But this team is deep and our backups get more playing time than most schools backups.

I think the scoring will continue after the starters are out

You know, this is one of my biggest irritations with sports betting on college games. In times past, there would be no basis to even have this thread. The coaches would have played the starters long enough for the coaches to evaluate, then the benches would be emptied. Of course, at that time, only illegal books made any money and it was a rarity that anyone even card about the "line". Now, starters can get hurt in a meaningless game and backups can be denied valuable playing time just to make sure we cover.

VN Store

Back