Can The Vols Cover 6 TDs vs Mocs?

You know, this is one of my biggest irritations with sports betting on college games. In times past, there would be no basis to even have this thread. The coaches would have played the starters long enough for the coaches to evaluate, then the benches would be emptied. Of course, at that time, only illegal books made any money and it was a rarity that anyone even card about the "line". Now, starters can get hurt in a meaningless game and backups can be denied valuable playing time just to make sure we cover.
Heupel cares about the line?

GTFo 😠

CONGRATS Mayor

GWVhSicXoAMAoPC

Can we cover 42 Points??

Yes
, provided we neutralize the Mocs QB. If our Defensive front line constantly puts pressure on their QB, who probably will be Artopoeus, and he doesn't have target practice with our newly untested secondary, we will cover, as Nico and company are primed to run and gun for 4 quarters of straight ahead football to open the season. Artopoeus had decent stats last Fall and even though they were against lesser opponents, the kid obviously knows how to throw the ball.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's 2024 football season kicks off on Aug. 31 at Tennessee, and the Times Free Press is taking a positional look at UTC's roster.

First up are the quarterbacks.

Who's back: Chase Artopoeus (R-Sr., 6-2, 208; 10 starts, 2,672 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, seven interceptions in 2023. Transferred in from UCLA); Luke Schomburg (R-So., 6-3, 194; seven games, three starts, 517 passing yards, two touchdowns, three interceptions); Matthew Clemmer (R-Fr., 6-4, 217; one game).

Got to be honest here, I was stunned that the Mocs ran the ball 36 times and only attempted 24 passes. Our secondary is still a mystery.

1725182712489.png

So the Vols beat UT-Chatt by 66 points, 69-3. The OP's question was whether we can beat them by 42+.

This thread revealed some folks who maybe just need to recalibrate their expectations of the 2024 Vols.

Yes, this is us playing an FCS team. But these folks were predicting against that very team, so that's not an excuse.

I think they can. But don’t think they will. Reason is, get a comfortable lead early, rest the starters and stay injury free for NC State the week after.
We got a comfortable lead early. We rested the starters the entire second half. We stayed injury free, afaik. And we still kept scoring. 45 in the first half, 24 more in the second with all backups and third string on the field.

When has Heupel ever rested starters early? When has Heupel ever taken his foot off the gas to "rest starters?" I can't recall much of that, especially with easy non-con games. Coach Heupel loves to ball. He gonna ball big in this one.
You already fessed up. I only included you for completeness' sake.

And I do think we will score 50+. I just don’t think we will cover the 42 the op is asking.

Ain't happening.

We could but I don’t think we will. I expect Heupel to try and get the subs in before the middle of the third. Our second and third stringers need as many game speed reps as possible and we will not get many opportunities with NC State and especially at Oklahoma. Got to be be prepared for the inevitable injuries once we get into the heart of the schedule.
I do expect rapid scoring early though as I think we will want to get our rhythm going and get in sync for the tempo. I think Nico will be able to process rapidly like Hendon did.

Maybe could, but likely won't.

UTC is not gonna be as weak as some think. They were a playoff team last year and expected to be better this year. We will beat them handily and 40 points could happen but I think it's a bit much to ask we will be playing pure vanilla offense (as Vanilla as CJH gets) and looking to come out of the game as healthy as possible. I think after the first score we start clearing the bench. We don't gain anything beating our little brothers into the dirt and getting starters hurt. Maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for the mocs being from Chatt and being an antibully type of guy..

Yep, time for some of us to recalibrate our expectations. This 2024 team is not 2022; this is beyond 2022.

Go Vols!

UTC are not a bad team and they have some pretty good athletes. They did not throw very much, protecting their QB was a big concern. Can't blame them really. This game meant very little to them other than some pride. I did not expect us put up 69. What made that happen is we have 4 really good backs. Depth at OL, WR who can get out their for a few reps and push some folks around. That is a positive. Nico is a freaking machine. I don't think I have ever seen a freshmanwith that kind of command in his 2nd game. His accuracy is off the charts. Ceiling for him has no limit.

Reactions: norrislakevol
So the Vols beat UT-Chatt by 66 points, 69-3. The OP's question was whether we can beat them by 42+.

This thread revealed some folks who maybe just need to recalibrate their expectations of the 2024 Vols.

Yes, this is us playing an FCS team. But these folks were predicting against that very team, so that's not an excuse.

We got a comfortable lead early. We rested the starters the entire second half. We stayed injury free, afaik. And we still kept scoring. 45 in the first half, 24 more in the second with all backups and third string on the field.

Yep, time for some of us to recalibrate our expectations. This 2024 team is not 2022; this is beyond 2022.

Go Vols!

Well that's a fine how-do-you-do after a nice season opening win. Nothing like getting internet scolded at 5 AM in the morning. Oy.

ohokay.gif

Go Vols!
Ain’t you cute. Trying to call people out. Wished I didn’t have a life to keep receipts for such stupid reasons. But hey. You be you!! But hey. I’m glad I was wrong. GBO!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back