CBJ's Bearcats were pretty impressive last year

it wasn't a put down.i was just saying that the big east was and is the weakest conference.butch did great with the talent he had and I do believe a roster of sec players will show what kind of coach he truly is.much respect for butch.no respect for the big east.

volsornuttin,i know Louisville beat florida but if that game is played during the season.florida wins that game.no respect for florida but if that game is played 9 more times.florida is 9 and 1.

I'll go one better.if butch has a team of sec players that played as hard as his cincy team.we will be winning a lot of games in the near future.:good!:

UF got every bit as much time to prepare for the game as UL did...and we could speculate over and over, but the bottom line is that UL nailed the Gators on the chin and UF wasn't able to recover.

Nobody thought the Cardinals could even keep it close. But they did what it took to win. And my point was that Cincy's OT loss was to a better team than most think.

Do you mean "good" like the Big East team that laid the lumber to Florida in the bowl game last year?

Good point.

What conference did Army play in when Bobby Knight coached them? What conference was WVU playing in when Bobby Bowden left? What conference was Pitt playing in when Johnny Majors left?

I've never understood the logic of "he coached at a lower tier conference with less talent, therefore he's not ready for the power conference".

The OP is looking at this the right way. What kind of results did our new HC have based on what he had to work with? That's a good indicator of how our SEC caliber players will gel as a unit.

Winning is a habit, and CBJ has a pretty big habit. My humble prediction is that he becomes a huge pain in Nick Saban's a$$ by 2015.

Reactions: 5 people
If CBJ wins 8 games this year our fans will expect an SEC title game appearance in 2014, some will even think we will have a shot at a NC. Lol

Reactions: 1 person
Good point.

What conference did Army play in when Bobby Knight coached them? What conference was WVU playing in when Bobby Bowden left? What conference was Pitt playing in when Johnny Majors left?

I've never understood the logic of "he coached at a lower tier conference with less talent, therefore he's not ready for the power conference".

The OP is looking at this the right way. What kind of results did our new HC have based on what he had to work with? That's a good indicator of how our SEC caliber players will gel as a unit.

This. You don't evaluate any other professional for a higher profile position based on their ability vs. the best competition, but rather amongst their peers who had relatively the same base potential. Relative to what was normal for the conference and type of football program, his teams consistently over-performed.

they were good by big east standards.

See---this is the most idiotic rationale I've seen pertaining to CBJ's background as a coach at CMU and Cincy. Of course he's not going to have 5* talent lining up to play for CMU or Cincy...but you know what---his teams were extremely competitive for the conferences they were in.

Now do you notice since he's the coach at a premier program, he's got the number one recruiting class in the country...

My beef has always been with those who constantly bashed those of us who had no confidence in Dooley. He was never qualified to even be on the list, during that coaching search. Kevin Sumlin interviewed and wanted the job...and like CBJ was, he didn't carry a lot of sizzle at the time. But he had a winning resume, and got his team to overachieve.

I simply wanted Dooley on a shorter leash than coaches like CBJ, and Sumlin, who have a good record coming in.

And my beef is once again seeing how a Dooley hater finds a way to insert more Dooley hating into yet another thread. The man is gone, honest, he really is gone. He isn't returning in any way, shape, or form except via verbal dragging. He's gone, stop dragging him back.

Now, the Butch-Cats topic is interesting. Not new, but interesting. Matter-of-fact, I too think his teams overachieve and play with a "not scared of anybody attitude" which is what the UT was once known for. Even to the point that Spurrier publicly mentioned it. Hopefully, our Vols listen, especially the RBs. I saw the O&W game (again) in the wee hours of this morning. Too often the RBs didn't chin the ball the way they're taught and that's why it got stripped or fumbled. So hopefully, our Vols really listen to the Jones team cause if they do, they're going to win much more than the pitiful six games many are saying is our limit.

We shouldn't expect to win 8 games, at all!

I dont think anybody expects it. That's what would make this fanbase go full retard, though.

He wins 8 or more, There will be 300 threads on National Champ or at the least SEC Champ predictions with the Freshman of the Legacy Class coming in!

And depending on who those 8 wins are against, I might (MIGHT) be on that bandwagon.

51 DAYS!

As awesome as that would be to win 8 games, I just don't see it, and I agree fans would have unreal expectations too fast, however it would give us hope and excitement about the future, but as for this season our ceiling is 7 games, we will 6-7 make it to a bowl, and that's a toss up depending who we play, but to me that's a successful season and realistic.

2014 will have a new O line....no need to get ahead of the game. 2015 will be the return

As awesome as that would be to win 8 games, I just don't see it, and I agree fans would have unreal expectations too fast, however it would give us hope and excitement about the future, but as for this season our ceiling is 7 games, we will 6-7 make it to a bowl, and that's a toss up depending who we play, but to me that's a successful season and realistic.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this year, but I don't think 8 wins is at all out of the question.
AP, WKU, USA & KY should be Ws, then Auburn, Mizzou & Vandy are very winnable. Then upset 1 of the 5 others or win a bowl game. I think this team will over achieve with Jones. Then when he gets his players in here......watch out!

I'm saying 8-4 should be the expectation. Last year we had 7-5 level talent with 3-8 level coaching which got us 5-7. This year, I think we still have 7-5 level talent with 10-2 level coaching. Even with players learning new systems, don't underestimate the impact of a solid coaching staff.

When I first heard of CBJ, I confused him with Butch Davis of NC and was like what a recruiter with almost as many violations as lame wiffen?

At the time, I would have preferred Coach Strong because I thought he would be a better recruiter but CBJ has more than held his own.

I also think CBJ's body of work is stronger than Coach Strong's but both are great coaches. I think strong is holding out for FL or TX...maybe uscW, AL after Saban. Either way, he didn't want to deal with the rebuilding challenge.

When I first heard of CBJ, I confused him with Butch Davis of NC and was like what a recruiter with almost as many violations as lame wiffen?

At the time, I would have preferred Coach Strong because I thought he would be a better recruiter but CBJ has more than held his own.

I also think CBJ's body of work is stronger than Coach Strong's but both are great coaches. I think strong is holding out for FL or TX...maybe uscW, AL after Saban. Either way, he didn't want to deal with the rebuilding challenge.

Strong stayed for only one of the reasons that follows:

1. UL out spent the UT by offering him more money than we could afford.

2. Knowing #1 was the likely outcome, Strong did a wiggle and shake to imply interest in the UT job to get extra money. Guess what? The UL bit hook, line, and sinker.

Regarding Jones at CMU and Cincy...

If you take the players you have, and beat the teams you're supposed to, and a few you're not supposed to...most consider you a success

So if he and his staff do this at UT, then all is well on Rocky Top!

Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'm saying 8-4 should be the expectation. Last year we had 7-5 level talent with 3-8 level coaching which got us 5-7. This year, I think we still have 7-5 level talent with 10-2 level coaching. Even with players learning new systems, don't underestimate the impact of a solid coaching staff.

Last year's team should have won 9-10 games with that talent.

Reactions: 2 people
Last year's team should have won 9-10 games with that talent.

Exactly!!!

You beat the snot out of NC St. Then you let the Fla, Ga, and SC games get away from you late, then forget how to play the game of football against Miss St, and well the Vandy game is what it is.

This. You don't evaluate any other professional for a higher profile position based on their ability vs. the best competition, but rather amongst their peers who had relatively the same base potential. Relative to what was normal for the conference and type of football program, his teams consistently over-performed.

Yep! I'm astonished that people can't understand this.

Regarding Jones at CMU and Cincy...

If you take the players you have, and beat the teams you're supposed to, and a few you're not supposed to...most consider you a success

So if he and his staff do this at UT, then all is well on Rocky Top!

Go Vols!!!

I agree, with an added caveat...

At UT, the list of teams that you are supposed to beat should grow yearly from here on out.

:hi:

VN Store

Back