CBJ's Bearcats were pretty impressive last year

I agree, with an added caveat...

At UT, the list of teams that you are supposed to beat should grow yearly from here on out.

:hi:

Martin from Duck Dynasty approves this message.

Sorry...watching the OW game again on dvr while posting lol.

Im I the only one that cant be impressed by CBJ's bear cats because of how we manhandled them in Knoxville? Was our talent that much more superior to theirs or god forbid did Dooley out coach Butch?

Im I the only one that cant be impressed by CBJ's bear cats because of how we manhandled them in Knoxville? Was our talent that much more superior to theirs or god forbid did Dooley out coach Butch?
It was the ONLY game that Dooley had a healthy sophomore class of Bray, Da'Rick, Hunter all on the same field with the old defensive staff. With a full roster of good players, and a good group of coaches, Dooley wasn't that bad.

It was the ONLY game that Dooley had a healthy sophomore class of Bray, Da'Rick, Hunter all on the same field with the old defensive staff. With a full roster of good players, and a good group of coaches, Dooley wasn't that bad.
I should add that Dooley also had those players and coaches in the first game of 2011, a 42-16 victory over Montana. So, Dooley had all of his weapons for 2 games, a 42-16 win and a 45-23 win.

Last year's team should have won 9-10 games with that talent.

Mentally and prep wise we failed to show up for Vandy and MSU. Vandy was a protest against CDD just like UK the year before. As for MSU, which was the game I totally gave up on CDD,... we had a bye week to prep and CDD gave the team a 4-day pass instead of prepping for a good team on the road.

Other than Bama we could have beaten everyone else last year. Absolutely should have beaten Mizzou, and USCe. Had our chances against FL and GA.

Last year's team should have won 9-10 games with that talent.
I totally agree. There was more than enough talent on offense to win the East. On defense, had Dooley hired Randy Shannon...a well proven DC...he would have won 4-5 more games and he'd still be coaching. Hiring a career position coach to be your DC in your make or break season, and opting to switch to a 3-4 scheme (with 4-3 personnel) was a disaster waiting to happen. So everyone judges the teams talent, based on a bonehead coaching hire?

Just like this year, we had a 4-5* recruit at practically every position on defense. You could see the confusion in most every game...even in most of the wins. It was a defensive fiasco.

If the defense plays anything like they did in the OW game, it's going to spell a dramatic reversal of fortune for this team. My biggest concern is at QB.

Considering that you can count the amount of 4* recruits, (over a four year span, 2008-20011), that Cincy had on one hand. I'm going to go with the strong possibility that they were outmatched.
UT pulled in 25+ 4*'s in the same span.
It was interesting to see our current staff make steady progress in recruiting a higher talent level in each year in Cincy. They went from a classes dominated by 2* athletes to classes dominated by 3*'s and the occasional 4*. All indications right now are that CBJ and his staff can take UT to the next level of recruiting to get us competitive again in the SEC.

After thinking about it for a second...we WERE actually competitive in most games last year, borderline horrible coaching seemed to be the reason for the debacle, IMHO

Last edited:
I think you are putting WAY too much emphasis on one game. They put a good scare in us early on, and after getting pummeled by a dangerous passing attack (remember, we had a healthy Justin Hunter, DaRick Rodgers and Tyler Bray was playing lights out before he got hurt) for most of the game, they made a furious attempt to come back late. Just wasn't enough.

If Hunter had not gone down and Bray not gotten hurt, we could have won the SEC East. Wilcox was coaching the D and they were pretty good, despite having an undersized DL. The Bearcats played a completely different team in that game than the one that played Kentucky at season's end.

Reactions: 1 person
it wasn't a put down.i was just saying that the big east was and is the weakest conference.butch did great with the talent he had and I do believe a roster of sec players will show what kind of coach he truly is.much respect for butch.no respect for the big east.

Apologies...didn't mean to come across as flaming you. I should have payed more attention in English class and worded my reply differently.

Good thing you didnt write this in 2012,the Tennessee slapdown would still be on the menu

I think you are putting WAY too much emphasis on one game. They put a good scare in us early on, and after getting pummeled by a dangerous passing attack (remember, we had a healthy Justin Hunter, DaRick Rodgers and Tyler Bray was playing lights out before he got hurt) for most of the game, they made a furious attempt to come back late. Just wasn't enough.

If Hunter had not gone down and Bray not gotten hurt, we could have won the SEC East. Wilcox was coaching the D and they were pretty good, despite having an undersized DL. The Bearcats played a completely different team in that game than the one that played Kentucky at season's end.
Are you halfway admitting that Dooley wasn't all bad when he had healthy offensive weapons, and a decent defensive staff?

Are you halfway admitting that Dooley wasn't all bad when he had healthy offensive weapons, and a decent defensive staff?
I NEVER believed Dooley was qualified to be a HC in the SEC, much less at UT. However, like Kiffin, he could make up for his inability by hiring a competent staff. Had no problem with Chaney or Wilcox, and they would have saved his job had Hunter and Bray not gotten hurt in 2011. But when the bulk of his staff jumped ship, that was.....the fat lady singing, right there.

I NEVER believed Dooley was qualified to be a HC in the SEC, much less at UT. However, like Kiffin, he could make up for his inability by hiring a competent staff. Had no problem with Chaney or Wilcox, and they would have saved his job had Hunter and Bray not gotten hurt in 2011. But when the bulk of his staff jumped ship, that was.....the fat lady singing, right there.

Those words dont belong together.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back