CBJ's offense

The offense was vanilla because you don't want to give the opponents early file to scout you by, also having 4-5 1st string receivers out that seems to be a big issue. The WRs that was in the game doing double duty, but come fall and Austin P I think the spread offense will be fine. What is exciting is Big Dans motor, if CBJ and coaches can keep it revving there is no line that will stop our penetration and when you can pressure the opponents that just makes our LB and DB that much better.

Am I the only one that thinks our offense is going to be the weak link this year? I'm trying not to read too much into it, but I was so unimpressed with the offense yesterday at the O&W game. The D-line (our D line that is - imagine bama's) was in the backfield all day. The O-line is more used to pass protecting I feel. The few good runs Neal had, he really had to bust some moves to get the yards. We looked so-so at QB and the overall demeanor of the O didn't seem anywhere near the D's. I feel like this year's O could be last year's D; lost in a new system.

Also, it's just weird watching every play be some sort of read-option roll out of the pocket crap. Hopefully it grows on me. It was cool to see the O line up and snap the ball so quick. Thoughts?

Bless your heart.

Reactions: 6 people
Can anyone think back to a spring game where the offense looked ok? Can anyone remember a spring game where Bray didn't leave us concerned about his abilities? The answer is, probably not. The last dozen spring games have all looked similar to Saturday's in terms of a decent looking D vs. an incompetent looking O. Fall will see those two balanced out a lot more imo.

I personally think the fact that our outside receivers are going to be 6'4(Harris), 6'5(Croom), 6'4(North), and 6'3(Blanc) is going to be a bigger advantage than expected. Not to mention CBJ likes using TE's...Meredith(6'5)

I dont tend to over react after spring games. It wasnt that I was unimpressed with the offense, I was unimpressed with the players running it. Again though its the spring game first time for a lot of those kids to even play on Neyland turf so we will have to wait a few months before we really evaluate.

It's a Spring game! By the time practice opens in August, there won't be 1 team in the country harping on their Spring game. UT is no different. By the time APSU comes to town the team will look completely different.

It also killed me when the refs would call the play dead as soon as the QB was touched. I understand why they do it of course, but I would have really liked to have seen what Peterman could do after that spin move. As such a huge part of what the offense is going to be about, it was a shame we couldn't see more of it.

Looked like Peterman would have had a big gain and a TD if they let him run.

I dont tend to over react after spring games. It wasnt that I was unimpressed with the offense, I was unimpressed with the players running it. Again though its the spring game first time for a lot of those kids to even play on Neyland turf so we will have to wait a few months before we really evaluate.

Lets hope these quarterbacks read their play books at night, they've got to grasp it in a hurry

Curious to see if he can take a hit or not. Obviously not worth risking in practice, but if he's going to scramble and get his jaw knocked by a Bama LB I hope he's got some Matt Sims fortitude. That guy was a tackling dummy and he always got back up

Reactions: 5 people
Also, 3 WR's out for the game. Harris, Croom hammys, and Carter ankle (?). Listening to the game, our DB's weren't worried about the speed of the receivers in the game. Though Blanc beat Coleman for his TD. Too vanilla to tell a whole lot, so I'm not conceeding our O will bad at all at this time. Sure good to see the D dominate after last year.

Don't hit the panice button yet. If you remember, before the O&W game Jones said the offense was going to be pretty vanilla, with a new coaching staff he didnt want to show all the cards in the spring game to our opponents. I would be concerned about the drone being used overhead for practice. I cant help believing if its used , someone will figure out how to hack into it and view everything we are doing.

Don't hit the panice button yet. If you remember, before the O&W game Jones said the offense was going to be pretty vanilla, with a new coaching staff he didnt want to show all the cards in the spring game to our opponents. I would be concerned about the drone being used overhead for practice. I cant help believing if its used , someone will figure out how to hack into it and view everything we are doing.

Ron Zook has already talked to a hacking firm, and is working out payment details on both ends-- paying the consultants, and receiving payments from Crazy-Eyes down south.

Reactions: 1 person
Am I the only one that thinks our offense is going to be the weak link this year? I'm trying not to read too much into it, but I was so unimpressed with the offense yesterday at the O&W game. The D-line (our D line that is - imagine bama's) was in the backfield all day. The O-line is more used to pass protecting I feel. The few good runs Neal had, he really had to bust some moves to get the yards. We looked so-so at QB and the overall demeanor of the O didn't seem anywhere near the D's. I feel like this year's O could be last year's D; lost in a new system.

Also, it's just weird watching every play be some sort of read-option roll out of the pocket crap. Hopefully it grows on me. It was cool to see the O line up and snap the ball so quick. Thoughts?

Never. NEVER overestimate good or bad what you see in a game where a team plays itself in scrimmage. It could mean both units are great, both are bad, both are mediocre, or any combination of good/bad.

The D has improved. They have also been seeing these same plays from these same players for over a month now. You would hope that they would be able to anticipate.

That said, one of the QB's needs to take a hold on the job. Neither guy did it this spring which opens the door for one of the Fr. IMO, Dobbs stands the best chance.

UT's OL btw will be just fine. The one thing I think you could take encouragement from is the performance of the DL. SOME of us have been saying for awhile now that there is significant talent there if someone will coach them up.

Reactions: 2 people
Also, 3 WR's out for the game. Harris, Croom hammys, and Carter ankle (?). Listening to the game, our DB's weren't worried about the speed of the receivers in the game. Though Blanc beat Coleman for his TD. Too vanilla to tell a whole lot, so I'm not conceeding our O will bad at all at this time. Sure good to see the D dominate after last year.

Blanc can run.

You do bring up an interesting point. IIRC, the O didn't just run over the D in last year's O&W game. Of course the D was horrible and the O was one of the best UT has had in a long while.

Performance in scrimmage games has to do with what the coaches are trying to see among other things.

Reactions: 1 person
They only ran like 5 different plays it looked like why do people seem to hate on the zone read so much. It's fundamentally sound football if executed right.

wait...seriously? hack into it?...

We will struggle this year on offense....lack of talent
the defense will be better but not enough to compete with SEC teams....

We will struggle this year on offense....lack of talent
the defense will be better but not enough to compete with SEC teams....

The offense probably will but you never know the offense might be a little better this year than people think it will be.

Last edited:
we had a good defense in 2008 but no offense. end result losing season. hope that ain't the case this time around.

Kinda like last season, big time offense and no defense. End result, losing season. Glad the defense is looking better but again just a scrimmage. Our offense never really does anything special in the spring game so hopefully they will show out in a real game! :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

I posted in another thread that Nate had some sick moves and if it wasn't for two hand touch on the QBs, he woulda had some big gains. I think he eventually wins the starting job just cause he has the arm and the wheels and Worley, even though he has seniority, isn't taking advantage.

Defense is always better than offense in spring games. Plus BJ didn't want to unload the entire playbook on a spring game - it was very vanilla on purpose. It also could be that our Defense has or will improve and the Offense will struggle a bit with a new QB, new WRs, and a new system. Relax, OP.

Yep, and about a week before the O&W game, Butch tweeted that they've only learned about 50% of the plays so far.

Good way to put it. By contrast, Alabama's SG featured countless "impressive" players. We need to finish this class strong and sign 2 more just like it. We just don't have the horses right now. But we do have one of the best "barns" in the country. Just a matter of time with CBJ.

Yep, and about a week before the O&W game, Butch tweeted that they've only learned about 50% of the plays so far.

That's very good at the end of spring. You're lucky to install half of that by the spring game. We'll be fine soon enough.

VN Store

Back