Chat GPT

Watching that Brett Weinstein clip form Rogan has me a little spooked. He makes a point that this will facilitate people being able to mimic competency in a field beyond their depth. If we thought mis and disinformation on socially media was bad, just wait until these people outsource all their thinking to a robot.

Aren’t you arguing about vaccines in another thread?

The idea that provide more knowledge to the masses in some way increases one’s ability to spread misinformation or mimic competency sounds like something you’d hear from MSNBC

Watching that Brett Weinstein clip form Rogan has me a little spooked. He makes a point that this will facilitate people being able to mimic competency in a field beyond their depth. If we thought mis and disinformation on social media was bad, just wait until these people outsource all their thinking to a robot. There will be so much pablum being spewed by uncritical knobs. We'll be adrift in a sea of know it all dumbasses.

Isn't that already happening with MSM?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Aren’t you arguing about vaccines in another thread?

The idea that provide more knowledge to the masses in some way increases one’s ability to spread misinformation or mimic competency sounds like something you’d hear from MSNBC

Yes I am arguing vaccines in another thread. And the fact that the game can be so easily rigged to convey to the masses that an effective drug is "horse paste for trumpers" gives me pause. That's not just disinformation, that's mal-information.

I understand that in fields we're not familiar with, we must outsource our thinking. We have to take the words of the so called experts. But too many people are uncritical and wouldn't know when or how to detect that model is being gamed. My concerns as it pertains to AI is that it will only worsen people's abilities to detect when the system is being gamed. And it may also blur the lines between the "experts" and the people who have outsourced their thinking to a robot. It seems like it could easily be gamed to form some false or exaggerated concensus surrounding a given topic.

Watching that Brett Weinstein clip form Rogan has me a little spooked. He makes a point that this will facilitate people being able to mimic competency in a field beyond their depth. If we thought mis and disinformation on social media was bad, just wait until these people outsource all their thinking to a robot. There will be so much pablum being spewed by uncritical knobs. We'll be adrift in a sea of know it all dumbasses.
+1 for teaching me a new word. Pablum.

Yes I am arguing vaccines in another thread. And the fact that the game can be so easily rigged to convey to the masses that an effective drug is "horse paste for trumpers" gives me pause. That's not just disinformation, that's mal-information.

I understand that in fields we're not familiar with, we must outsource our thinking. We have to take the words of the so called experts. But too many people are uncritical and wouldn't know when or how to detect that model is being gamed. My concerns as it pertains to AI is that it will only worsen people's abilities to detect when the system is being gamed. And it was also blur the lines between the "experts" and the people who have outsourced their thinking to a robot. It seems like it could easily be gamed to form some false or exaggerated concensus surrounding a given topic.

Could your use of internet knowledge to argue vaccine efficacy not be seen in the same light as what’re your claiming with chat GPT and it’s abiltiy to create “false experts”.

In both cases I see maximizing the knowledge to the masses as a net benefit. You and I may see the same info and form different conclusions, but I still think we are far better off to have that info.

The internet hasnt made us smarter...

Sure. But access to more knowledge is still beneficial. Just like a calculator doesn’t make someone smarter, but I’d still prefer my accountant, an engineer, etc to use calculators.

So I’m not arguing that it makes us smarter, only that it’s a net benefit

Could your use of internet knowledge to argue vaccine efficacy not be seen in the same light as what’re your claiming with chat GPT and it’s abiltiy to create “false experts”.

In both cases I see maximizing the knowledge to the masses as a net benefit. You and I may see the same info and form different conclusions, but I still think we are far better off to have that info.

The key difference as I see it is that I am still required to seek the information, to consider the source, and then understand the application and limitations of the information before I can repeat it on a message board. Being critical is built in to that process. In this way, I still outsource my thinking to an "expert" but I'm critical of the information and understand it's limitations. A mass of uncritical people all receiving the same answer from the robot will be much like the npc meme of "we support the current thing". It is hackable or game-able.

Sure. But access to more knowledge is still beneficial. Just like a calculator doesn’t make someone smarter, but I’d still prefer my accountant, an engineer, etc to use calculators.

So I’m not arguing that it makes us smarter, only that it’s a net benefit
Depends on how it's used.

You dont pay your accountant, engineer to use a calculator. You could use anyone to use the calculator. You pay them for their specialized knowledge for which formula to use.

This is far far more than a calculator. Or at least it has the potential to be.

It may be a net benefit to some people, but as a whole I would be very worried about the implications. We are about to find out that most jobs are extremely replaceable. And it will extend far beyond what anyone imagines.

Depends on how it's used.

You dont pay your accountant, engineer to use a calculator. You could use anyone to use the calculator. You pay them for their specialized knowledge for which formula to use.

This is far far more than a calculator. Or at least it has the potential to be.

It may be a net benefit to some people, but as a whole I would be very worried about the implications. We are about to find out that most jobs are extremely replaceable. And it will extend far beyond what anyone imagines.
The level of automation is coming has the potential to undo capitalism as we know it. What happens to pretty much everyone who isn't a CEO or owner of a major business when employees are no longer needed?

The level of automation is coming has the potential to undo capitalism as we know it. What happens to pretty much everyone who isn't a CEO or owner of a major business when employees are no longer needed?
We are just ever accelerating to replacing ourselves. I totally agree it kills capitalism as we know it. Very soon humans will have even less value than they currently do.

The internet hasnt made us smarter...
Taking my kids to school this morning, a radio person did not know what cirrhosis was and corrected them with psoriasis.. it all went downhill from there.. I also hear poor grammar with increasing regularity (passed off as proper English).. this is not including slang… professional conversations lol

What's the purpose? Give lonely people something to talk to?

I'm traditional about such things.
iu

Now I know why people move to the middle of Nowhere, Alaska and hack out a living with rudimentary tools and No technology around. One day, we will elect an AI Bot to the Oval Office. Yay for humanity.

And why can't an AI-bot identify as human???

Speciation is a male, white supremacist construct.

I just tried using it for the first time asking about topics like cancer, and the fast responses were pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see what it’s evolution is.

I just tried using it for the first time asking about topics like cancer, and the fast responses were pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see what it’s evolution is.

At this point are you really even writing this post? Maybe ChatGPT just wrote that response and posted as you…..hmmmm.

I am clearly a human poster, as I have emotions such as laugh, cry, and happy.

Wow. I just tried the app. That is pretty insane. Were you getting an audible conversation from it? I was just getting script, I asked it for some work instructions to execute a function in some software I use. Multi step process I would do, it nailed it to a T.

Our replacement is not far away.

Wow. I just tried the app. That is pretty insane. Were you getting an audible conversation from it? I was just getting script, I asked it for some work instructions to execute a function in some software I use. Multi step process I would do, it nailed it to a T.

Our replacement is not far away.
I just did the script, but I would describe the answers as well thought out. It’s amazing and alarming at the same time.

I just did the script, but I would describe the answers as well thought out. It’s amazing and alarming at the same time.

Given my own perception of where my social credit score sits, I will be one of the first people murdered by one of these robots using this software. Oh well.

VN Store

Back