Checkerboard Design

AZorange

When and why did the Vols switch up the checkerboard end zones? It's been a while, I know, but I remember the squares covered the entire end zone and now there's a green grass border around them. Anyone remember why they made the change? Thanks and Go Vols!

When and why did the Vols switch up the checkerboard end zones? It's been a while, I know, but I remember the squares covered the entire end zone and now there's a green grass border around them. Anyone remember why they made the change? Thanks and Go Vols!

Holy OFF Season Thread right after a WIN??!!

robinholy.jpg

I remember when the checkerboards covered the entire endzone. I don't like the large green border. I have heard some say that the green border was done to distinguish the endzone and the goal line. I used to think that was non-sense since Fresno State also has checkerboards and theirs did not have an exaggerated green border. However, I went back and looked at recent pictures of their endzone and it actually does have the green border like ours now.

I remember when the checkerboards covered the entire endzone. I don't like the large green border. I have heard some say the checkerboards the green border was done to distinguish the endzone and the goal line. I used to think that was non-sense since Fresno State also has checkerboards and theirs did not have an exaggerated green border. However, I went back and looked at recent pictures of their endzone and it actually does have the green border like ours now.

I think theirs has been that way as long as I can remember too. I think it's really to distinguish out of bounds lines and end zone paint.

I think theirs has been that way as long as I can remember too. I think it's really to distinguish out of bounds lines and end zone paint.

Wrong. It hasn't. If you go look at the pictures, they had checkerboards covering the full endzone. Last year, their endzone looked like our.

See my previous post up above which clearly shows a full endzone with very little green compared to the larger green

See my previous post up above which clearly shows a full endzone with very little green compared to the larger green
I wasn't arguing with you on that, I was saying there is green there, which there is.

SEC or NCAA required a border of plain turf to help distinguish the goal line, side lines and end zone for TD and inbounds/out of bounds calls by the refs.
Also I think the change was made when we swtched from artificial back to natural turf. Don't remember having checkerboards with the artificial turf. "Tennessee" in one end zone and "Volunteers" in the other.

Reactions: Kinger
I wasn't arguing with you on that, I was saying there is green there, which there is.
I never said there wasn't green. I just said Tennessee and Fresno State used to have larger checkerboards. Now both have an exaggerated green border around the checkerboards.

Also I think the change was made when we swtched from artificial back to natural turf. Don't remember having checkerboards with the artificial turf. "Tennessee" in one end zone and "Volunteers" in the other.
I remember the full checkerboards with artificial turf and partial checkerboards after the the switch to natural grass.

I don’t recall the yr but there was a rule formed yrs ago stating there must be “green” turf connecting w goal line. As a poster said above, to help refs w touchdown vs no touchdown
I don't think it has to be green grass, just cant be white. Also not for the TD but for getting out of the endzone, like for a safety.

Went back and looked. Think it was 1989 when we changed to “green” border.

VN Store

Back