Checkerboard Design

Holy OFF Season Thread right after a WIN??!!

robinholy.jpg
John Romita?

Edit: Alex Ross

When and why did the Vols switch up the checkerboard end zones? It's been a while, I know, but I remember the squares covered the entire end zone and now there's a green grass border around them. Anyone remember why they made the change? Thanks and Go Vols!
That was 25 years ago partner, and they changed it to comply with the NCAA rule.

Reactions: GreveHaller
We dug up the the artificial turf after 93 season but I don't remember that endzone being complete checkerboard. In 94 the natural endzone had a white border with orange background.

View attachment 311269

In 95 the endzone change to what we know now.

View attachment 311276
Good sleuthing. I couldn’t find anything. I was even looking up Tennessee vs Florida 1992 which was on AstroTurf.

Reactions: WillisWG
SEC or NCAA required a border of plain turf to help distinguish the goal line, side lines and end zone for TD and inbounds/out of bounds calls by the refs.
Not true. Many schools have their colors all the way to the line. We had an orange border around the checkerboards that bordered all the end lines and goal line until we installed grass in 1994. The checker boards were much better looking when we had the orange border with artificial turf. They have looked washed out without the boarder.

Reactions: tbwhhs
That was 25 years ago partner, and they changed it to comply with the NCAA rule.
Why does the NCAA rule not pertain to Alabama who has crimson to all boarders and goal lines? Because that rule no longer exists.

When and why did the Vols switch up the checkerboard end zones? It's been a while, I know, but I remember the squares covered the entire end zone and now there's a green grass border around them. Anyone remember why they made the change? Thanks and Go Vols!
They changed it when we went from turf to natural grass.

NCAA ruling on something they shouldn’t be concerned about.

It's definitely been a long time. I think they made them change it so a white square wouldn't be mistaken for a white line.

This. I think they were required to make the change for this reason DECADES ago.

What about the orange border we previously had?

If it was all orange, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem. But, when you mix the orange and white, it can be confusing to the eyes. I understand it.

If it was all orange, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem. But, when you mix the orange and white, it can be confusing to the eyes. I understand it.
Was there a situation where our previous end zone that we used with artificial turf caused a problem? I certainly do not remember one.

VN Store

Back