Checkerboard Design

Hmmm... I used to believe, like many here, that the NCAA requires a plain grass margin around all important lines (goal line, back of end zone, sides).

But a little research into the most closely-watched games of the year proves that is not true:
1601817018279.png

So I'm not sure why we can't have checkerboards filling (or nearly filling) the end zone.

Anyone?

Hmmm... I used to believe, like many here, that the NCAA requires a plain grass margin around all important lines (goal line, back of end zone, sides).

But a little research into the most closely-watched games of the year proves that is not true:
View attachment 311440

So I'm not sure why we can't have checkerboards filling (or nearly filling) the end zone.

Anyone?

The only endzone requirements are the 4 inch sideline marker and the placement of the pylons. Looking at the available area of green, you couldn't use the current shape/size of the checkerboard. So you're probably looking at smaller checkers and I am not for that.

When UT had the checkerboards on the artificial turf from 89-93 they didn't extend the entire endzone. They had an orange border around them. With the switch to grass in 94, the orange border was replaced with a green border.

Reactions: tbwhhs and onevol74
Here's a pic from the '93 Louisville game where you can see the orange border at the goal line. To JP's point, I'm not sure why we don't still have it.

shuler.jpg

Reactions: Alto1 and VFL-82-JP
https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?page=sec/tennessee

When the Vols went back to natural grass in 1994, Peyton Manning's freshman year, the checkerboards got a fresh design.
At that point, it was up to Campbell to design a new checkerboard end zone. The checkerboard that had been on the artificial turf filled the entire end zone.
Campbell got a piece of paper, figured that the end zones were 160 feet wide by 30 feet long. So why have not four rows of squares and leave a 5-foot border of green around the checkerboard?
One reason was it would have confused officiating crews if the white of the checkerboard touched the goal line, sideline and end lines.
"And it just looks good," Campbell said. "The green sort of frames it. The first time we painted the new design, coach Dickey came down, looked at it and said, 'That'll do.' "

Payne has the painting down to art form. There are 120 5-foot-by-5-foot squares in each zone. He has a square sheet metal template he places down on the grass and puts two coats of paints in the square.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?page=sec/tennessee

When the Vols went back to natural grass in 1994, Peyton Manning's freshman year, the checkerboards got a fresh design.
At that point, it was up to Campbell to design a new checkerboard end zone. The checkerboard that had been on the artificial turf filled the entire end zone.
Campbell got a piece of paper, figured that the end zones were 160 feet wide by 30 feet long. So why have not four rows of squares and leave a 5-foot border of green around the checkerboard?
One reason was it would have confused officiating crews if the white of the checkerboard touched the goal line, sideline and end lines.
"And it just looks good," Campbell said. "The green sort of frames it. The first time we painted the new design, coach Dickey came down, looked at it and said, 'That'll do.' "

Payne has the painting down to art form. There are 120 5-foot-by-5-foot squares in each zone. He has a square sheet metal template he places down on the grass and puts two coats of paints in the square.

Interesting...except they didn't fill the entire end zone. I don't mind the green border, but I like the orange one better.

Here's a pic from the '93 Louisville game where you can see the orange border at the goal line. To JP's point, I'm not sure why we don't still have it.

shuler.jpg

Don't miss the rug or that design. . .but does bring back some nice memories. Won 2 SEC Championships with record of 48-11-2 during its life.

Last edited:
And I don’t get the foul ups on the 20 and 40 yard line numerals. That is a head scratcher!

When and why did the Vols switch up the checkerboard end zones? It's been a while, I know, but I remember the squares covered the entire end zone and now there's a green grass border around them. Anyone remember why they made the change? Thanks and Go Vols!
You’ve been in a comma right? Do you have a kill list?
38A13D67-5C40-4EA5-B0DB-1F65D4DCF0B6.gif38A13D67-5C40-4EA5-B0DB-1F65D4DCF0B6.gif

The only endzone requirements are the 4 inch sideline marker and the placement of the pylons. Looking at the available area of green, you couldn't use the current shape/size of the checkerboard. So you're probably looking at smaller checkers and I am not for that.
The checkerboards should remain the same with an orange boarder instead of the current green grass boarder.

The checkerboard returned for the 1989 season. The green border was added in 1994 when the turf was removed and grass returned to Shields-Watkins.

UK claims their checkerboard is a tribute to horse racing and Secretariat.

As I recall at the time (1993 was the last season with artificial surface and 1994 was first with grass) the UTAD stated that the NCAA rules (at that time) allowed colors on artificial turf to go all the way to the back of the goal line stripe but that natural surfaces (grass) had to have a buffer of grass between the back of the goal line and the beginning of any colors in the end zone. No explanation of the NCAA's reasoning (assuming there was any to begin with) was ever offered.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
The checkerboard returned for the 1989 season. The green border was added in 1994 when the turf was removed and grass returned to Shields-Watkins.

That’s garbage! Not your response but, their excuse for using it on their field and uniforms! Trash 🗑

Well, if that is all they have for football tradition so be it.

Every time Kentucky starts on about how their claim to checkerboards is older, and Secretariat, and all that:

1601895217880.png

So unless Secretariat is 100 years old.... Heh.

They just want to be like us, their big brother. I get that, and don't fault them for it. They should just be honest about it. :)

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back