Coach Cafego Speeches

It doesn’t mean that the presentation didn’t happen on that day, but I was present too and don’t recall Cafego being honored in that fashion. In any event, we were in command of the game, 15-0, until a muffed punt by our return man resulted in a safety for Georgia. That gave the Bulldogs a glimmer of momentum and, soon thereafter, Herschel Walker made his debut and was simply unstoppable.
I never said that it didn't happen. I also said that I was feeling pretty good at halftime. That was due to the 15-0 score. I went to the game with my brother and a friend of his from Athens, Georgia. He was telling us about this hot shot freshman running back that they had by the name of Walker. At halftime, the guy wondered if Dooley would play him in the second half. He did.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Cafego instilled that hate for Vandy in U.T. players for many years. Former receiver Joe Thompson always hated Vandy with a passion. He would get on the radio broadcasts and talk about it.

Speaking of "Joe" where is he. His growing up and playing sports here all those years ago still comes to mind when I see one of our present day players make a smart play. Joe was a good athlete, maybe not great, but one of if not the smartest players (any sport) I have ever seen. I put him in the class of P Manning for smarts in football, but his smarts carried over to every sport he played, don't know if this is true about Manning.

I don't exactly remember all the specifics - coach Cafego was a good coach and a great guy but his extreme hatred for Vandy was very real and somewhere in Heaven he is hating on them now. I think the story goes that while in a pile of players after being tackled, Vandy gouged his eye and I believe he was permanently blinded in that eye as a result. I think that is most of it - his hatred for them was a fire that would never and will never be extinguished.

Somewhat of an urban legion sort of thing - Cafego also went on to be the first person drafted in the NFL and played several years. He also bore the name ----- " Crazy legs Cafego " He was a great player, really great player and FREAK should dig up some old film of him.

So there were two guys with the nickname "crazy legs". The guy I remember with that nickname was Hearst played for LA I think. Don't remember Coach Cafego caring that nickname. I always felt he had no peer as a punt teacher. We had one of this pupils here when I was in high school why I fielded punts for after school. Man he could kick. Guy was from Oak Ridge high school and UT name Dave Griffith.

So there were two guys with the nickname "crazy legs". The guy I remember with that nickname was Hearst played for LA I think. Don't remember Coach Cafego caring that nickname. I always felt he had no peer as a punt teacher. We had one of this pupils here when I was in high school why I fielded punts for after school. Man he could kick. Guy was from Oak Ridge high school and UT name Dave Griffith.
That was Elroy Hersch. At least, I think that is the spelling, and he did play for the Rams.

I have a feeling JJ might carry on Coach Cafegos legacy. If folks will remember his twitter rant was in part out of frustration about his role or lack thereof in the upcoming Vandy game that season. I have also on more than one occasion seen quotes of his disdain for them.

1980? Are you sure? That was the Herschel Walker over Bill Bates game. I was there, and don't remember that unless I got there late. I was thinking that was a night game, but maybe that was the USC game the next week?

Right I was there also. It was a night/Herschel game. I believe it was the next game also.

If you like to listen to podcasts.. Check out "A Host of Volunteers" on iHeart or ITunes. Excellent podcast, they relive the Vols past with interviews and John Wards calls to go with the stories. If I remember correctly, they talk some about Coach Cafego. The podcasts are from the guys that work at UT in charger of all the archives.. You get to hear things about the games from a inside perspective..
I will check it out, thanks!

Reactions: FïreBall
I never said that it didn't happen. I also said that I was feeling pretty good at halftime. That was due to the 15-0 score. I went to the game with my brother and a friend of his from Athens, Georgia. He was telling us about this hot shot freshman running back that they had by the name of Walker. At halftime, the guy wondered if Dooley would play him in the second half. He did.

I’ll tell you what I remember most vividly about the 1980 Georgia game. My brother and I attended it with another Tennessee fan who was about 6’5”, 300 lbs. As we walked dejectedly back to our car, we approached the low rock wall which, then, bordered the campus-side of Cumberland, located near the bridge that allowed foot traffic to cross above the street. Two Georgia fans, who sat on that wall, were heckling Tennessee passersby. As we approached them, they became silent.

Once we passed them, we overheard one guy say to the other: “Are’nt you going to say anything to them?” The instigator retorted very softly, “**** no. That big SOB already looks ****** off!”

With respect CA, these tales and the history behind them are why us old guys(class of '73) seeth with anger and distain when some fans start talking relevancy or lack of about UT sports. UT sports do not take a backseat to any program.

Absolutely correct. It simply takes time and life experience to truly develop a sense of historical perspective and context with respect to college football. Those of us who have followed college football for a very long time have watched every, I repeat, every traditional power go through peaks and valleys, in most cases not just once but multiple times.

We need a Coach Cafego back to teach coffin corner punting. That is such a lost art, and I can't come up with any good reason as to why.

Let's see.... I could punt the ball at the 2 yard line, and try to pin the other guys back against their own EZ... or, I could punt it hard and give it to them at the 20. (but at least I will have stats for the draft... that extra 2 yards might be the difference.)

VN Store

Back