Coker

vols3131

I was at the Kentucky/Tennessee all star game in Louisville on Friday. Coker didn't have a very big game. But in his defense he was trying to run behind the absolute worst offensive line that I have ever seen and that is not an understatement at all. The DL of Kentucky was in the backfield on almost every play. Everytime Coker touch the ball he was almost hit immediately. He did show some speed and quickness on a couple of plays. He picked up blocks pretty well in pass protection which is huge at UT. The downside is that he had some trouble catching some passes out of the backfield. He dropped several. I think when he gets to UT they will have him playing some pretty good football by the time he is finished.

I see him Redshirting, and probably his best interest.

I was pretty excited we got him, its just going to take some time for him to get the system down, and it's good to hear he doesnt mind to pass protect.

thanks for the update vols3131. It definitely was a tough day for him, especially after he came out saying how this was the best Tennessee team ever.

I don't know if he's THE fastest, but he's certainly up there.

It's got to be between Hannon, Wade, Jakouri Williams, and now Coker.

Wade is pretty speedy, I just hope he can soon get the feel for the D-side of the ball.. If Williams has any hands, get him back there on PR's and kick offs, Same for Inky, we need a return man thats swifty and shifty!

it seems like cpf is pretty high on wade. he specifically pointed out wade as a player that could excel as a db. he said he could be all conference and maybe even all american with his speed.

You know that might be a nice change up Going from Riggs, who at 220 is a little bit more of a bruiser to coker a real burner. To kind of mix it up a little on offense and give Riggs a break.

I definitely think Coker is the best prospect to be the back-up for Riggs, those other 2 guys behind Riggs now, dont have anything in their background to impress me.

Originally posted by oklavol@Aug 3, 2005 12:13 AM
You know that might be a nice change up  Going from Riggs, who at 220 is a little bit more of a bruiser to coker a real burner.  To kind of mix it up a little on offense and give Riggs a break.

I definitely think Coker is the best prospect to be the back-up for Riggs, those other 2 guys behind Riggs now, dont have anything in their background to impress me.
[snapback]120956[/snapback]​

I'm glad your not impressed.
Foster is the back up period. Foster may not impress you which by the way doesn't matter but he does impress Trooper, Fulmer, Sanders and one of the best front 7's in the nation.
Williams is as fast as Coker but will have to fight to keep Hardesty from taking the #3 spot

Dude, snap out of it.

This recruiting class coming in is one of the best UT has had in years.

Not only do I think Coker is gonna be the backup, I think there will be numerous guys coming in challenging for starting jobs. (McNeill should get plenty of snaps at center). Look for Morley to play as well. Last year 2 true freshman played qb, the most difficult position on the field for Christ's sake!!

Coker was the #2 prospect at running back last year. When is the last time a #2 prospect at any postition didnt get an opportunity to immediately come in and compete for a starting position??
Coker is the heir apparent. Coker will be the back-up to prep him for the starting job next year. I gu-ar-an-tee it.

coker wasnt the #2 rb last year. he was the #2 all purpose back. i can think of at least 5 others that were ranked higher probably closer to 6-8 others. dont put all of ur stock into rankings. both foster and williams played in way tougher areas as far as competition in hs so u cant say anything about that. williams and coker were both ranked near #8 rb in the nation. foster was a sleeper. if u want to put all of ur stock into rankings, think back to the last highly heralded recruiting class we had. hmmm, banks, benedict, jefferies??? wait a year or two before u start calling this the best class ever.

Originally posted by hvwarrior58@Aug 3, 2005 7:41 AM
wait a year or two before u start calling this the best class ever.
[snapback]120981[/snapback]​

I think he said "one of the best UT has had in years." For argument's sake, here are a couple of references:

Scout Rankings

College Football News Ranking

Rivals Ranking

The only reason we aren't #1 by Rivals is a difference in 4 or 5 star assignments to a couple of prospects. If you add the two together, we have the most in the country (17) on their list.

I would think it would be safe to say that a number one class in the country (or at least a consensus top-3 or 4) can be dubbed "one of the best we've had." Again, a tribute to the tradition, success, location, and coaching of our program.

That's all moot anyway. Coker will get redshirted due to the depth at the RB position. He'll need a year to adjust to SEC college ball.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Jun 22, 2005 9:48 PM
thanks for the update vols3131. It definitely was a tough day for him, especially after he came out saying how this was the best Tennessee team ever.
[snapback]106659[/snapback]​

Actually, in defense of all kids who play in those games, it's an impossible task to determine a player's worth by these games.

There's no continuity at all on those teams. They have little to no time to paractice as a unit and I've seen more than one marginal player have a great game in the all-star setting only to struggle in Division IA.

The opposite is often true as well.

I think Coker is our back of the future. I really believe he's as good as Riggs was at this stage and I believe he could easily be the starter by mid-06.

I do hope he red-shirts though.

Originally posted by oklavol@Aug 3, 2005 8:03 AM
Dude, snap out of it.
This recruiting class coming in is one of the best UT has had in years.

Not only do I think Coker is gonna be the backup, I think there will be numerous guys coming in challenging for starting jobs.  (McNeill should get plenty of snaps at center).  Look for Morley to play as well. Last year 2 true freshman played qb, the most difficult position on the field for Christ's sake!!

Coker was the #2 prospect at running back last year.  When is the last time a #2 prospect at any postition didnt get an opportunity to immediately come in and compete for a starting position?? 
Coker is the heir apparent.  Coker will be the back-up to prep him for the starting job next year.  I gu-ar-an-tee it.
[snapback]120974[/snapback]​

LaMarcus Coker
All-purpose back
Position Ranking: 2
Previous: 2

Rivals.com The Rivals100 2005 (71)
Rivals.com All-purpose backs 2005 (2)
Postseason Tennessee Top 20 2005 (3)

Coker and Williams will wind up Garner type backs

OK...everyone listen up...TRUST ME!!!....I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE!!!...I just can't say who I am...i didn't write "coker is THE fastest guy on the team to start a debate. I WAS STATING FACT...everyone on the team was timed recently and LaMarcus is the fastest guy on the team 2) He is up to 205 now 3) He will NOT redshirt

Then he will lose elgibility to play on special teams.

Foster is #2

Funny thing is his high school teammates thought someone else was better.

That would be Preston Brown...Antioch's TB this year. Not quite as fast, but much tougher from what i've seen

VN Store

Back