Conference commissioners finalized new roster size limits

I’m not seeing how this will make much of an impact in the portal eta? Only 50-60 guys play in the games. Back in the days of more scholarships, players were accustomed to waiting their turn to play. Most top recruits want to be in the lineup within the first 2 years. How can 105 guys stay happy enough to stay out of the portal? Will be interesting.
100% agree.....

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Whenever revenue sharing starts, teams with smaller roster sizes will be able to spread the wealth more. If you max out your roster size there are more mouths to feed and some kids may choose their school based on more money through revenue sharing.

Reactions: Okie
I think this sucks for football, the schools recruiting in the top 5 will be able to pull in even more talent even if only to keep everyone else down.
Actually it will probably cause more transfers. Those schools may pull in more of the top players but these days all the power is in the player’s hands. They’ll transfer quicker to get playing time so they can prove themselves for the next level.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
the football stuff is meh imo. but the other sports being filled out is really dang nice.

I actually see it being quite monumental. When you look at the overall talent disparity the SEC and B1G accumulates compared to say the ACC or Big12.

There's now about 200 more open slots...per year...that need filled in the Power 2. That's 200 players no longer trickling down to those lesser schools, meaning the big dogs get deeper at the same time the second tier is getting less talent. Stack that with off season portal recruiting, and the caveat that the numbers can exceed the limit during the off season.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Begins 25-26 academic year.

So how does this change the number of signees for Tennessee’s 2025 recruiting class? And what about the NCAA penalties limiting Tennessee to no more than 83 in a season?

So how does this change the number of signees for Tennessee’s 2025 recruiting class? And what about the NCAA penalties limiting Tennessee to no more than 83 in a season?

Yup, a lot of questions yet to be answered... like, how will Beamer manage this new rooster size at USCjr???

The way I read it it also means that the TOTAl number of players will also be 105 and not the current 120. So will be adding more scholarships but losing 15 total roster spots.

I think this sucks for football, the schools recruiting in the top 5 will be able to pull in even more talent even if only to keep everyone else down.
They might be able to pull more talent, but they cant stock pile it anymore due to transfer portal.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
When do we have to have our ncaa punishment on scholarships done by?
2025 will be the last year Tennessee will have limited scholarships. As of July 2023, there were 12 total scholarships to be forfeited between 2023, 2024 and 2025. I could not find any concrete information about 2023 or 2024 scholarships. 247 reported we had 86 in 2023, but that doesn't make any sense with a limit of 85 AND loosing a few of them.

Reactions: DaddyChad
The way I read it it also means that the TOTAl number of players will also be 105 and not the current 120. So will be adding more scholarships but losing 15 total roster spots.

You might see first year coaches take advantage of this rule, but I think most likely will just be walk on's getting scholarships. Now the big question is...does this mean there will no walk on's at all and the limit is 105? Or does the limit stay at 120? Because that would suck for multiple reasons.

If they were to do it, ticket prices would go up past the point of most fans ability to pay. More players more overhead, more revenue need, raises ticket prices.
Ticket prices are already too rich for my blood. Please correct me if I have this all wrong because its completely possible that I do. I think they already have a lot of guys under contract, but because of the 53 man roster limit, not all can be on the "active" roster on Sunday. Just allow a few more practice squad players to be active.

the football stuff is meh imo. but the other sports being filled out is really dang nice.
Yeah. NCAA baseball is a huge benefactor of this. always thought it was bogus that you could only offer 11.5 scholarships to a roster of probably 25 players.

Reactions: kcvols1
Ticket prices are already too rich for my blood. Please correct me if I have this all wrong because its completely possible that I do. I think they already have a lot of guys under contract, but because of the 53 man roster limit, not all can be on the "active" roster on Sunday. Just allow a few more practice squad players to be active.
I think you're in the ballpark there. That's you're active game day roster size, and they can option in practice players or bring in an idle FA to cover injuries as far as I know.

Reactions: give_him 6
You might see first year coaches take advantage of this rule, but I think most likely will just be walk on's getting scholarships. Now the big question is...does this mean there will no walk on's at all and the limit is 105? Or does the limit stay at 120? Because that would suck for multiple reasons.
From what I read it was 105 total so a new lower limit.

After chewing on this a bit, I think the transfer portal keeps things even from a competition standpoint. Plus, there is a finite amount of NIL money to go around.

What I could see happen is a lot of lower rated developmental guys that wouldn't be able to walk on for financial reasons get a chance. Guys that WANT to be Vols that otherwise would never get the chance. This could be a good thing.

Last edited:

they will still have to be at 2 under whatever the number happens to be. they have to take off 2 each year through 2027.. recruiting classes no longer have a number. the roster number is the number you have to manage to.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

The 120# is how many are allowed to practice and is separate from the scholarship limit.

At the request of the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Oversight Committee (FBSOC) and Football Championship Subdivision Oversight Committee (FCSOC) Administrative Subcommittee, the NCAA staff issued a blanket waiver to permit Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) institutions to increase the football preseason participant limit from 110 to 120 for the 2024-25 academic year.

In granting this request, staff noted:

1. The blanket waiver request was initiated by the FBSOC and FCSOC Administrative Subcommittee;
  2. The FBSOC and FCSOC introduced legislation into the pilot legislative process to increase the limit of student-athletes who may engage in practice activities from 110 to 120 and remove the legislation that permits the replacement of a student-athlete;
  3. The FBSOC and FCSOC will consider membership feedback received during the March 28 through May 11 initial feedback/comment period and vote during the week of May 12 on whether or not to adopt the legislation, subject to NCAA Division I Council action on June 25-26; and
  4. The blanket waiver provides appropriate notice to student-athletes, coaches and administrators preparing for the 2024 fall preseason.
This blanket waiver is effective for the 2024 fall football preseason. Please reference Case No. 1214763 in Requests/Self-Reports Online via the search tab for additional information.

schools were going to have to come up with new revenue streams just to cover player payments, whenever that happens. Now with these increased scholarships, that is going to have to happen even sooner. Donations increased? Tickets? Concessions? Souvenirs? Parking? Money has to come from somewhere. its over 3 million just to cover the increase in football scholarships.

Going to games will continue to rise for fans as expenses rise.

How do you get to $3M?

VN Store

Back