Coronavirus may have cracked the telecommuting code

He brings up good points. Obviously this doesn’t apply to every profession or education requirement... but as a whole, I agree.

So not entirely not for all fields. As an electrical engineer there are aspects of my job I can indeed do from home and be available via Skype if needed. In fact if I’m writing a document I’d rather do it at home. However if I’m working with electronics on systems that is hands on and the team has to be there to get it done. And I cannot imagine getting my EE degree online. Maybe I could absorb a TV lecture maybe not. Maybe I just don’t have a good reference for my generation. But I do remember some of the freshman and sophomore basic courses for EE (Physics and Chemistry for example) had remote viewing options and I purposely avoided them as it just didn’t work for me on the one I had. 🤷‍♂️

So not entirely not for all fields. As an electrical engineer there are aspects of my job I can indeed do from home and be available via Skype if needed. In fact if I’m writing a document I’d rather do it at home. However if I’m working with electronics on systems that is hands on and the team has to be there to get it done. And I cannot imagine getting my EE degree online. Maybe I could absorb a TV lecture maybe not. Maybe I just don’t have a good reference for my generation. But I do remember some of the freshman and sophomore basic courses for EE (Physics and Chemistry for example) had remote viewing options and I purposely avoided them as it just didn’t work for me on the one I had. 🤷‍♂️
In my department the only online courses we offer are the intro courses for non-majors (They do lab at home with a kit that they purchase when they buy the textbook.) and some lecture-only courses that we offer for students in education.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
While I disagree with some of his characterizations, I agree with the meat of his argument. Especially the part about college degrees.

I'm with you on this because my jo requires me to be in the field 90% of the time. But, those 10% hours are just wasted having to report to a centralized cubicle at an office that I rarely report to.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
There are already online schools people can attend rather than a brick and mortar college. Whether you can avoid a brick and mortar school would really depend on the degree you are pursuing and whether or not you are attending school sports.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Right. Jenny Gave him the AIDS he had in Philadelphia.

If John Coffey were still alive he could absorb the sickness, but he done walked the Green Mile.
Wrong. This is what the Church wants you to believe, but if you analyze the paintings of Leonardo Da Vinci, you will soon uncover the truth.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129

VN Store

Back