Coronavirus (No politics)

All non essential businesses closed. Is that different than before?

I dont even know their definition of nonessential. Seems different from state to state.

The Nashville order defined essential employees- government services, grocery stores, clerks, financial industry, legal and judicial services, healthcare, etc. Some jobs may not be easy from home, but a lot of those that are deemed nonessential can probably be done at home. FedEx has had a lot of people working at home.

A shelter in place order says that if you are not essential, then you can only be out unless you are at the grocery store, picking up food, or at doctor. The previous announcement was just closing restaurants and encouraging people to stay home.

From my other nephew in Gulfport, MS. Both he and his wife are nurses.

"I've been off since last Wednesday, so I've been going on long solo bikerides at sunrise (30-40ish miles), working in our gardens (I've planted our citrus and olive trees, ferns and azaleas), and building bridges and trailblazing in the woods behind our house so that we can eventually start building a treehouse. Construction on that should start by tomorrow.

I got a little taste of the Coronavirus mayhem early last week when we had a few suspected cases at work. I work in the ICU at Gulfport Memorial Hospital. We have to wait 5 days for test results to come back so we're all on the edge of our seats and treat the patient like he/she is infected until then. That means we don and doff the scarce PPE each time we go into and out of the room.

Our hospital is extremely short on supplies already and so far, we only have one positive case, which means that we waste all that PPE on the patients that are negative. We're so short on masks that our bosses have locked up the supply and will only hand out one mask to each nurse who cares for a suspected or positive coronavirus patient and each nurse must reuse his/her one mask each day until further notice.

This is not best practice, but it's what we're forced to do since the hospital was caught off-guard by all of the panic buying that occurred. Our bosses even had to call Lowe's and Home Depot to try to find masks. I've read that the feds will start to distribute a 45 minute bedside test in April.

I'm sure when I go back to work this Wednesday, we'll have more cases and the crisis will hit home a bit more, but while I've been off these last several days, I've been doing my best to limit news exposure, spend quality time with River and Ashley, and get stuff done around the house. Honestly, while this pandemic is a very sad ordeal for millions of people, our household has become closer because of it.

However, we're also being cautious because it is highly contagious. While we are not so scared to get it because we are healthy, we're resigned to the likelihood that we'll end up with it eventually since we're working on the front lines. Our fear is that when we do get it, we will spread it to our parents.

So, we are adhering to strict SOCIAL DISTANCING. Anyone with underlying health issues (whether diagnosed or undiagnosed) should be extremely adherent to social distancing right now. That means no going to the grocery store (Ask healthy friends who are already making a trip to the store to pick up groceries for you and drop them off at your door.

The virus can survive on surfaces for up to 72 hours so either wait until then to open the bags or use gloves to handle them and wipe them off with disinfectant before putting them in your fridge or pantry), restaurants, or any public place where you'll be within 6 feet of others. Chronic health issues that make coronavirus deadly include: COPD, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, diabetes, obesity and hypertension."

Last edited:
One of things that makes it somewhat hard on people is the amount of chatter about it. Everything from vinegar does/doesn't disinfect this virus, to keep a distance of 3ft (WHO) vs 6ft (CDC).

Got an email from TN Wildlife telling me to go fishing, get some fresh air, take a walk in the state parks that open, get vitamin D.

Then you have nurses posting on Facebook saying stay in your home, take your shoes off before you come in, send one person to the grocery store, wash your clothes as soon as you come inside the house.

It's like one entity is talking about the flu, and the other is talking about The Happening.

Everybody just has to be smart and encourage others to be smart as well. I would like to designate a state for the stupid though, maybe Florida since so many of them wanted to be there last week. And the gators are there.

The state parks in NC had closed offices, but told everyone trails would still be open and to enjoy the outdoors. Saw on the news this morning they closed trails to the mountain state park closest to Charlotte as it was very crowded this weekend.

From one of my nephews in Louisiana:

"The governor of Louisiana is implementing a statewide lockdown of all nonessential personnel starting at 5pm today.
Groceries stores, gas stations, and hospitals are the exception.
Restaurants are allowed to do take out only.
Louisiana seems to be a hotspot for covid-19 due to the number of positive tests.
I have a friend that works in the ICU where I live and they are at max capacity right now. They are trying to find more ICU nurses to work. They started implementing 7 on 7 off shifts with $1000 bonuses every week. "
I just don't understand how you do that. What about companies that supply the restaurants with food, with utensils and cups and napkins? What about companies who deliver supplies to the hospital, deliveries of drugs and ancillaries?

Reactions: davethevol
The state parks in NC had closed offices, but told everyone trails would still be open and to enjoy the outdoors. Saw on the news this morning they closed trails to the mountain state park closest to Charlotte as it was very crowded this weekend.
Wouldn't surprise me if the same happens here. Here's the whole email. Notice the last line. lol

What better way is there to practice ‘social distancing,’ than to get outside and enjoy Tennessee’s natural resources? Here are some ways you and your family can get outdoors for your mental and physical health. Remember to stay 6 feet or more away from others as you head outside!

Places that are open for you to get outside and enjoy some sunshine:

State parks are open! - There are over 50 state parks offering outdoor activities ranging from hiking, biking, paddling, fishing and so much more! As of now, they are open. State parks are free to all.

Boat ramps - Boating requires lots of space for the most part. There are plenty of places you can launch a boat (or a kayak) and enjoy some time on the water.

Top 10 State Parks for Camping and Fishing - What better combination than camping and fishing. Get away from it all to a local state park and pitch a tent for a night and enjoy catching dinner.

Family fishing lakes - Looking for a fishing hole with a little peace and quiet? Somewhere to spend quality time with family and loved ones? Then try one of these for solitude, relaxation and the chance to catch bass, sunfish, crappie, and catfish.

Bank Fishing -Keeping a good casting distance between each other is key while bank fishing. There are lots of places statewide where you can take the family fishing.

Wildlife Management Areas - great places for a wildlife watching, hiking, and spending some time upping your vitamin D.

Select Shooting ranges on WMAs (only unstaffed shooting ranges are open) - These unmanned shooting ranges are an easy way to practice your skills and keep your distance.

Northam just closed schools in Virginia for the rest of the year.
Northam is so confusing. He was asked if Virginia is locked down or is a shelter in place but just repeated that schools were closed and non Essential businesses closed. So does a tire manufacturer close? because in other states that is considered non enssential but I do see anything on the site.

Reactions: VolGirl81
I just don't understand how you do that. What about companies that supply the restaurants with food, with utensils and cups and napkins? What about companies who deliver supplies to the hospital, deliveries of drugs and ancillaries?

I agree. I don't understand how any of these partial shutdowns are going to work. Sometimes I think that some of the governors are making decisions based on medical reasons, but without thinking through the practical and logistical side of how it really has to play out.

Governor Brian Kemp is supposed to address the state at 5 PM this evening. The governor is weighing his options as how to curb the tide during this COVID-19 pandemic. Some state leaders are urging the governor to issue a “Shelter-in-Place” order that would effectively shut down all “non-essential business” in the state. The order would also mean that Georgia residents who do not hold jobs in “non-essential” businesses would not be able to leave their homes except for emergencies.

The governor has already been granted wide-ranging power by the state legislature and could issue an executive order to implement the drastic policies.

Unlike the wrangling in the United States Congress, Georgia’s Democratic and Republican leaders are pleading with the governor to take drastic action at this point. In a letter to the governor signed by the Republican Leadership and the Democratic Minority Leadership, the General Assembly has told the governor that “we are all in this fight together.” The letter went on to say that “this virus sees no color or political affiliation.”

Reactions: tluong1
One of things that makes it somewhat hard on people is the amount of chatter about it. Everything from vinegar does/doesn't disinfect this virus, to keep a distance of 3ft (WHO) vs 6ft (CDC).

Got an email from TN Wildlife telling me to go fishing, get some fresh air, take a walk in the state parks that open, get vitamin D.

Then you have nurses posting on Facebook saying stay in your home, take your shoes off before you come in, send one person to the grocery store, wash your clothes as soon as you come inside the house.

It's like one entity is talking about the flu, and the other is talking about The Happening.

Everybody just has to be smart and encourage others to be smart as well. I would like to designate a state for the stupid though, maybe Florida since so many of them wanted to be there last week. And the gators are there.
I read a crazy long procedure of how you were supposed to handle take out...like as soon as you get the bag throw it away and put the food in your own plastic bag then when you get home take the food out of those and put it on another plate.. good grief...I know this seems to be more deadly but we do none of this for seasonal flu outbreaks or even SARs/MERs Zika H1N1

Reactions: vollygirl
So that would be what is called anecdotal evidence. Which means it hasn't caused a problem in a limited number of people without comparing it to anyone else. It is great that Hydroxychloroquine may be effective in treating Covid. It's great that the drug has been around previously so we know that patients can tolerate it.

However, just because "they said no side effects listed bother them at all" as if it is a justification that it is safe for everyone is rubbish. Plaquenil would not be what I would call a "safe" medication. It has very real risks albeit in the setting of long term use of macular degradation (see blindness, rarely) for which many patients are routinely monitored by an ophthalmologist with routine special testing. I think the bigger concern acutely would be in patients having the cardiac arrhythmia I previously mentioned and it would probably be prudent to monitor most patients with serial EKGs to watch their QT interval and thereby try to identify higher risk patients and discontinue their therapy if necessary. I fully admit that this is all uncharted territory in many ways but scientific evidence is the foundation of medicine and the only reason we aren't constantly plagued by the legions of infectious disease that our ancestors were forced to accept. If we abandon it now to appease fear, it will not lead to better outcomes.

All that is to say that the practical considerations involved in implementing new treatments are much less straightforward than "Trump says it works and the bureaucrats are in the way." In a case by case basis we are certainly at the point where individual providers and patients can enter into shared decision making regarding whether to utilize the treatment or not. In patients with more severe disease and lower chances of survival it's also likely a reasonable option. I fully support a provider using the medication on that basis and there is no impediment to that at this time that I am aware of. The FDA is not simply signing off on the medication because that adds no value in this situation. The medication can already be used by providers "off label"! But, there is not good evidence behind it and a rubber stamp from the FDA will not change that.

In "normal life" different providers have different requirements for evidence (studies) and guidelines before directing new care for their patients. The FDA is very often far behind on these issues because their job is to primarily assess safety. That does not stop people from utilizing treatments when there is good data (insurance coverage often does, as an aside). Physicians will use their "common sense" as everyone is fond of saying which they will balance between the data available and each individual patient they see. The only reason it's being pushed as "an issue" so heavily in press conferences, in my opinion, is because the administration can set up a scenario where it is ostensibly fighting to get people treatment that science and medicine is "afraid" to provide. Somehow clearing the way for the magic bullet treatment. Meanwhile, they neither discovered the medication nor made it more accessible. All the practical public health benefits that should have been provided (masks, testing) were not done and it's an attempt to rewrite history to put them in a positive light that they frankly do not deserve. Providers can use this already when they deem it appropriate. It is inappropriate to endorse it on a national level tantamount to "a cure" because the data doesn't support it and the risks are unknown. Just like we all want Tennessee to win the NC for the next 10 years, unfortunately, we can't just proclaim it preseason and hoist the trophy. You have to prove it on the field.

To be clear, I believe the medication has promise. However as a cure all that everyone should stockpile, take daily, or utilize for mild cases likely to recover on their own, the benefits begin to be more questionable with the risks. If your 18 year old daughter without co-morbidities is diagnosed with Covid 19 but feeling well and asymptomatic should she get the drug? I would argue that given the extremely limited evidence, no she is not a good candidate.

More specific to Covid, if the very small trial is wrong and it actually does more harm than good then we could potentially be hurting patients by giving them the drug. There has been some postulation that many of the severe cases are related to acute respiratory distress in the setting of a "cytokine storm" which is an autoimmune reaction. If this is the case, will utilizing an antibiotic like Azithromycin (in the same French study with increased efficacy in combination with Hydroxychloroquine) expose the body to more "foreign stuff" when it breaks down bacteria and increase the immune response that is already in overdrive? That's just a hypothesis that could sound good but may be complete garbage. The point is we don't know until we look at studies. I believe and am hopeful that the studies will pan out. Don't put the cart before the horse, though. And please don't disparage the people who are out there in the field trying to make these difficult decisions with real people, not statistics who know the potential burden of a misstep. The people working now are doing it because they care and because they believe in their responsibility. No provider is trying to deny treatments that can be beneficial, there is a burden to temper hope with reason.
Interesting that you point out how a “cytosine storm” autoimmune reaction could potentially complicate the use of the Hydroxychloroquine with (or perhaps without as well) the Azithromycin... In the Spanish flu pandemic a much younger profile was hardest hit with many deaths of the healthiest people ascribed to an aggressive autoimmune response that basically overloaded their lungs with the detritus from their own white blood cells and other warrior cells attacking the virus. How that may play out with COVID-19 and different drugs used to treat it... time will tell.

Coming closer to home, I had a call this morning from a customer in Colorado, a guy in his 60’s who has a 30-yr old son in Houston (where I live) working as a natural gas trader. He told me both his son and the son’s wife have the virus. About a week ago the son started with a cough and body aches and the same night developed a fever of 103. Took bed rest at home and after 48 hours was doing better but it’s all he can do to walk the dog. His wife’s case was less severe but she was pretty sick for about 24 hours.

Reactions: AM64
Northam is so confusing. He was asked if Virginia is locked down or is a shelter in place but just repeated that schools were closed and non Essential businesses closed. So does a tire manufacturer close? because in other states that is considered non enssential but I do see anything on the site.

I couldn’t agree with you more. Not sure, what is to come. However, ABC stores will remain open🤷‍♀️

Governor Brian Kemp is supposed to address the state at 5 PM this evening. The governor is weighing his options as how to curb the tide during this COVID-19 pandemic. Some state leaders are urging the governor to issue a “Shelter-in-Place” order that would effectively shut down all “non-essential business” in the state. The order would also mean that Georgia residents who do not hold jobs in “non-essential” businesses would not be able to leave their homes except for emergencies.

The governor has already been granted wide-ranging power by the state legislature and could issue an executive order to implement the drastic policies.

Unlike the wrangling in the United States Congress, Georgia’s Democratic and Republican leaders are pleading with the governor to take drastic action at this point. In a letter to the governor signed by the Republican Leadership and the Democratic Minority Leadership, the General Assembly has told the governor that “we are all in this fight together.” The letter went on to say that “this virus sees no color or political affiliation.”
I'm watching expecting that, but haven't heard him say anything concerning that yet.

The Nashville order defined essential employees- government services, grocery stores, clerks, financial industry, legal and judicial services, healthcare, etc. Some jobs may not be easy from home, but a lot of those that are deemed nonessential can probably be done at home. FedEx has had a lot of people working at home.

A shelter in place order says that if you are not essential, then you can only be out unless you are at the grocery store, picking up food, or at doctor. The previous announcement was just closing restaurants and encouraging people to stay home.

Also shipping companies are considered essential industries.
Dept of homeland security labeled UPS an essential infrastructure industry as I am sure they did with USPS and FedEx.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
No shelter in place in Georgia. He suggested people at risk shelter in place, but the rest is business as usual.

Reactions: allvol123
My doctor told me that since I have asthma it would be much harder on my lungs. She said my immune system may be able to fight it off but the lung damage may cause me to have to use an oxygen tank. She said if you have healthy lungs with no issues your immune system would minimize the damage and some repair could happen over time. I am not sure how much she knows but she is a doctor.

Also shipping companies are considered essential industries.
Dept of homeland security labeled UPS an essential infrastructure industry as I am sure they did with USPS and FedEx.
A few days ago I got an email from FedEx as I assume did anyone else who has an account with them, saying “Business as usual, for now...”

I also use FedEx Freight a lot and talked to the driver making a pickup at my warehouse today. He said they had just been told by their CEO basically that they will keep running unless he!! freezes over. That was music to my ears!

A few days ago I got an email from FedEx as I assume did anyone else who has an account with them, saying “Business as usual, for now...”

I also use FedEx Freight a lot and talked to the driver making a pickup at my warehouse today. He said they had just been told by their CEO basically that they will keep running unless he!! freezes over. That was music to my ears!

Not that it matters to them, but Amazon's new Prime policy just lost them a sale. Need a DVD drive for a broken computer - end of April with Amazon so just went to NewEgg 2-5 days as usual.

VN Store

Back