Coronavirus (No politics)

Heard a news report state that it's likely related to so many people utilizing the subway system there before the U.S. started taking this virus seriously. Louisiana's sudden spike is attributed to Mardi Gras. Bear in mind that the 1st case in Williamson Co. Tn. was from a guy who attended a conference in Boston. 7O+ others were infected at that conference and went back to their respective communities. This virus is highly contagious. Use extreme caution because it's being said this virus can live on metal surfaces up to 3 days.

Yep, there's no real mystery; it's all about population density - long term like big cities and short term like conferences, Mardi Gras, social gatherings, public transportation. If you insist in living in a crowded city or having to constantly be with people, you are likely a target - more exposure to carriers. In the nuclear field we always put exposure in the terms of time, distance, and shielding - it applies here, too.

Reactions: tbh
It’s happening in Oak Ridge. One worker confirmed with it was around other people and they’re continuing to work. Probably won’t be long before there’s a big outbreak there.

And I kinda think y12 was almost forced to admit that one.

The numbers of people continuing to come in if they think there's a chance they got exposed, or that come in hiding a cough or other symptoms is what's really concerning. Considering the contractors I know of won't pay you to go home without a positive test...I understand why they do it.

Of course, most of us left out here are the craft and field workers anyway. Most of the office dwellers and management types are already working at home, so they may not care...

As far as the idea that you can't run from it, shutting the plants down is nonsense, etc...there's a part of that I agree with. Oak Ridge presents a bit of a different animal because a LARGE amount of the craft and field workers fall into one or several of the "at risk" categories. Letting it run through the herd out here would have some pretty damn bad consequences.

Reactions: tbh and davethevol
Yep, there's no real mystery; it's all about population density - long term like big cities and short term like conferences, Mardi Gras, social gatherings, public transportation. If you insist in living in a crowded city or having to constantly be with people, you are likely a target - more exposure to carriers. In the nuclear field we always put exposure in the terms of time, distance, and shielding - it applies here, too.

Ah, a fellow man of culture...

Reactions: AM64
My sister got sent home Monday. She's a home health nurse and they believe she got exposed in Madison County. They tested her and she'll get the results back tomorrow or Friday. What scares me is she's nearly 5 months pregnant. Her husband's a UPS driver and he got sent home too.

Reactions: AM64
My sister got sent home Monday. She's a home health nurse and they believe she got exposed in Madison County. They tested her and she'll get the results back tomorrow or Friday. What scares me is she's nearly 5 months pregnant. Her husband's a UPS driver and he got sent home too.
Praying for her brother

Praying everything is okay Duncan.

I hope everyone takes this seriously for their own sake and the sake of others. I know it is difficult to imagine before it is staring you in the face but I can guarantee you that it is real, it is not the flu, and the toll on real humans has the potential to be truly horrific. Stay safe out there guys.

I’m due for a colonoscopy but not in any hurry to schedule it for the time being.

I guess I'm doing a phone visit with the doctor tomorrow to see what the course of action is for my back. She's got the MRI, and I have it on disk, so I can follow along. I could still do an office visit, but doesn't seem necessary.

Reactions: RavinDave
I guess I'm doing a phone visit with the doctor tomorrow to see what the course of action is for my back. She's got the MRI, and I have it on disk, so I can follow along. I could still do an office visit, but doesn't seem necessary.
About the riskiest thing I could have done last week was go downtown to the clinic where they wanted to test me for the virus.

Reactions: AM64 and allvol123

VN Store

Back