Could we see the wildcat Saturday?

TechnoVol

Practice has been basically closed this week. CBJ talked up the fact that several were getting a look at running the wildcat package a few weeks ago.

Our read-option has been 100% predictable with Worley never running the ball so perhaps maybe, CBJ is looking to actually use the wildcat a bit this weekend and force the Florida defense to defend a true read-option play or two.

If so, who does everyone think would be the most likely to run it?

Practice has been basically closed this week. CBJ talked up the fact that several were getting a look at running the wildcat package a few weeks ago.

Our read-option has been 100% predictable with Worley never running the ball so perhaps maybe, CBJ is looking to actually use the wildcat a bit this weekend and force the Florida defense to defend a true read-option play or two.

Gerald Jones! And they'll call it the G-Gun....Oh, wait. :ermm:

Reactions: 1 person
it's going to be the same ol **** they've been doing. Putting somebody in a wildcat isn't going to fool this defense. Playing Ferguson is the only option for a winning season imo...and I'm usually very accurate with my predictions

it's going to be the same ol **** they've been doing. Putting somebody in a wildcat isn't going to fool this defense. Playing Ferguson is the only option for a winning season imo...and I'm usually very accurate with my predictions

Link?

I hope not. Has never worked and never will work.

Eleven defensive players laying their ears back and going after one running back does not bode well for an offense.

Reactions: 3 people

Eleven defensive players laying their ears back and going after one running back does not bode well for an offense.

Actually, the wildcat does work, and has worked and will work if we use it behind our line. Not sure why you think it doesn't or won't work.

Reactions: 3 people
This is my humble opinion...
Worley is very predictable when it comes to.. Well, anything.. He is bad about staring down the receiver he wants to throw to, and he doesn't appear to check down to a second receiver very often.. AND he NEVER runs when the defense is the least bit good (that's why he ran a bit against AP) He is like a Matt Simms type qb

Peterman too is very predictable.. I believe his problem is lack of experience tho.. I think given time, he could be a Johnathan Crompton type of QB.. A good game manager with a good arm, and very trustable with the ball.. Never a threat to run for big yardage, but deserves the respect of the defense that he might get a couple yards if need be... I think long term, he could be our guy (if given time by our fan base)

Now as far as the true freshmen...

I think Dobbs is an EJ Manuel type of qb.. He has the legs to run the ball the length of the field if need be, and the arm to throw his way out of trouble.. And the brains to determine when to do which... But, I would be scared to put him on the field and let him run before he puts on some more weight.. He could be the X-factor to a national championship year (down the road) but not before he is bulked up some...

Which brings me to Ferguson.. I believe he is a Tyler Bray/ Erik Ainge type of qb.. I believe that he has the arm to throw the length of the field, and the confidence to try every snap if need be... I think he has the subtle arrogance Bray had his freshman year, and is naive enough not to know better.. I think that he has nothing to lose (as does any of the others).. But I believe he gives us the best UP side.. I think that Ferguson is deff the short term answer (for this year)..

I trust Coach Jones in his opinion, and if he doesnt think the freshmen are ready, then i beleive in his opinion..

This is just my non expert opinion

Nostradumass?

Reactions: 5 people

Eric Locke

No, Kentucky is on a bye week.

Oh, wait you mean the wildcat PLAY!

Figure there might be a few tricks to see this weekend to keep Florida guessing. Just like our quarterback search that is probably causing the Florida DC some extra work trying to guess if Worley, Peterman, Dobbs or Ferguson is starting and their style of play, I have a feeling we might see some plays we haven't seen before.

Yeah, you're right. AJ's team-leading six TDs last season were a bad idea.

Just so we're clear someone describe what the "wildcat" is?

Wildcat Offense - What is the Wildcat Offense?

Summarized, it's where another person in the backfield like a running back takes the snap instead of the QB. Supposed to throw off a defense since the RB has the option of running, handing the ball off on like a reverse or making a throw.

This is my humble opinion...
Worley is very predictable when it comes to.. Well, anything.. He is bad about staring down the receiver he wants to throw to, and he doesn't appear to check down to a second receiver very often.. AND he NEVER runs when the defense is the least bit good (that's why he ran a bit against AP) He is like a Matt Simms type qb

Peterman too is very predictable.. I believe his problem is lack of experience tho.. I think given time, he could be a Johnathan Crompton type of QB.. A good game manager with a good arm, and very trustable with the ball.. Never a threat to run for big yardage, but deserves the respect of the defense that he might get a couple yards if need be... I think long term, he could be our guy (if given time by our fan base)

Now as far as the true freshmen...

I think Dobbs is an EJ Manuel type of qb.. He has the legs to run the ball the length of the field if need be, and the arm to throw his way out of trouble.. And the brains to determine when to do which... But, I would be scared to put him on the field and let him run before he puts on some more weight.. He could be the X-factor to a national championship year (down the road) but not before he is bulked up some...

Which brings me to Ferguson.. I believe he is a Tyler Bray/ Erik Ainge type of qb.. I believe that he has the arm to throw the length of the field, and the confidence to try every snap if need be... I think he has the subtle arrogance Bray had his freshman year, and is naive enough not to know better.. I think that he has nothing to lose (as does any of the others).. But I believe he gives us the best UP side.. I think that Ferguson is deff the short term answer (for this year)..

I trust Coach Jones in his opinion, and if he doesnt think the freshmen are ready, then i beleive in his opinion..

This is just my non expert opinion
DObbs doesn't have the wheels to go the length of the field..He's slow
Fergeson the best arm on the team.

It doesn't work guys!!

1) The RB NEVER throws the ball.
2) The RB should not be handling hand-offs (too big a risk of a fumble), but this is moot because they NEVER hands it to anyone else anyway.
3)AJ runs the "beast" package.
4)I would guesstamate the G-gun lost more yardage than it gained.
5)When everyone in the stadium knows the RB is going to take a direct snap and run the ball, only a moron would expect a succesful outcome. Eleven defenders keying on one runner, C'mon.
6) Oregon runs the read/option with a QB that can run, hand off or THROW THE BALL. That is not the wildcat!!:crazy:

Last edited:
Run Pig in the Wildcat and read option.

Remember Kentucky 2011? Dont tell me a WR cant beat a defense.

This thread.......Every freakin week.

Searched this forum and found ONE thread with Wildcat in the subject this entire year. :hi:

Anyway, what I'm asking is if we might see some real read-option plays where we put someone back there with Neal or Lane and there is SOME DOUBT as to who is going to carry the ball after reading the defense's reaction and optioning off of that.

Nobody expects us to convert our offense and run 70% read-option. I'm just curious if we may see it Saturday 10% of the time in certain situations.

I would love to see how my statement is funny to you. What exactly do you not agree with?

1. Playing Ferguson is the only option for a winning season imo...

2. and I'm usually very accurate with my predictions

These were the two I found laughable. On the first you may be right, but then again, none of us have any evidence of that.

On the second, well I just coupled that statement with your username and got a chuckle.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back